PDA

View Full Version : Laptop repair

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I need one of my Vaio laptops repairing. It's quite a common fault - the power connector socket has gone all wobbly and won't power up all the time.

Thought I'd ask on here first to see if anyone does this kind of thing before I take it to a local shop.

kjdiscos
22-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Its a simple task to do darren, If your a dab hand with the old iron

ppentertainments
22-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I have had similar problems with a Fujitsu Laptop. Although maybe simple there are a lot of sensitive parts inside so did not attempt the repair myself. I was quoted £80 for a repair at my local computer shop.

In true fashion though I ended up buying a new laptop :o TBH the laptop was about 6 years old and is now used in my office and has the power cable gaffa taped to the computer.

When I asked around, there was only the computer repair shops who would attempt this.

I first realised the fault when using the computer for DJ'ing and never realised the power was not connected and the computer was running off battery. Halfway through the Macarena with a bunch of 16 year olds the fault was noted (and computer kindly turned itself off) :D :D :D :D Hence,even though a laptop is only used for backup, I am constantly checking the power light.

Sorry Darren - just re-read the post and it's probably of no help to you at all ;)

Sapphire Disco
22-04-2009, 12:09 PM

You're having a laugh had to do it myself on a Toshiba once ,would never try it again , but I did do it.

kjdiscos
22-04-2009, 12:12 PM
You're having a laugh had to do it myself on a Toshiba once ,would never try it again , but I did do it.

If you are good with a soldering iron, And have electronic repair knowledge its a simple task,

If not leave it to the pro's

Sapphire Disco
22-04-2009, 12:19 PM
If you are good with a soldering iron, And have electronic repair knowledge its a simple task,

I would say leave to the pro's unless you are one :)

CRAZY K
22-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I have had similar problems with a Fujitsu Laptop. Although maybe simple there are a lot of sensitive parts inside so did not attempt the repair myself. I was quoted £80 for a repair at my local computer shop.

In true fashion though I ended up buying a new laptop :o TBH the laptop was about 6 years old and is now used in my office and has the power cable gaffa taped to the computer.

When I asked around, there was only the computer repair shops who would attempt this.

I first realised the fault when using the computer for DJ'ing and never realised the power was not connected and the computer was running off battery. Halfway through the Macarena with a bunch of 16 year olds the fault was noted (and computer kindly turned itself off) :D :D :D :D Hence,even though a laptop is only used for backup, I am constantly checking the power light.

Sorry Darren - just re-read the post and it's probably of no help to you at all ;)

Did you just whistle the tune for them ---in true showbiz style:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Excalibur
22-04-2009, 06:17 PM
We're running on memory here from a long time ago, but some components must be soldered with a "dead" iron, to avoid damage. (That's an iron not connected to the mains). Would a laptop be in this category? I'd guess so. :confused:

Babybob
23-04-2009, 12:10 PM

After reading the above post a name sprang into my mind.......................................NIGEL!! !!! ;)

kjdiscos
23-04-2009, 12:12 PM
After reading the above post a name sprang into my mind.......................................NIGEL!! !!! ;)

and after reading yours the name . . . . sprang to mind

Babybob
23-04-2009, 03:04 PM
and after reading yours the name . . . . sprang to mind

Should I insert.."Psychic" :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2009, 03:12 PM
10 replies and not one useful comment...

Digitalsounds
23-04-2009, 04:07 PM
daz,

As a repair engineer, i would say be carefull if you have the slightest hesitance don't do it.

Some of these laptops are produced on multi layer PCB and so you need good skills to get the right connection without causing a short across another track on the pcb.

If it is just a cracked/dry joint you could run a low power soldering iorn over the joint and flow in some new solder to be honest you probably need to remove the old solder and insert new to the joint. also these usually have a little plastic holder on them to steady them and over time as you use the laptop conestantly removing the power socket they brake up.

You can usually find a litle for like socket on the like of ebay or such good eletronics supplier.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2009, 04:18 PM
daz,

As a repair engineer, i would say be carefull if you have the slightest hesitance don't do it.

I'm not doing anything! The original post asked for recommendations of anyone who does this kind of thing. :)

Excalibur
23-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm not doing anything! The original post asked for recommendations of anyone who does this kind of thing. :)

Without using the really dangerous N-word again, may I point out that while I agree that I have not been able to suggest a repairer, I have pointed out the dangers of a DIY repair.

CRAZY K
23-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Probably not--go to a proper repairer I would suggest, only experienced professionals should be let loose on this job.

And if they :Censored: it up---you have a comeback:D

CRAZY K

Digitalsounds
23-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Ok then in that case don't take it to pc world as it will never work again.

Also might be owrth looking for second user system on ebay likeone with damaged screen for repair then you could swap out the other bits. it one was cheep enough.