PDA

View Full Version : Safe use of extension cables...

womble
28-04-2009, 10:15 AM
What kind of extension cables, 4way sockets, etc. do people recommend?

I was thinking of getting something like a 4 gang cable reel, to give me 4 sockets at my desk, and then using extensions cables from there to the various sound and light devices at the desk.

There are so many things to consider, I have a 13A cassette reel in the house, but in the stores now most say 10A, do I need 13A? Some extensions have surge protection, some have individual switches and some cassettes/reels have thermal cut offs.

Not sure what exactly I need? I'm guessing you get what you pay for and not buying a 65p 4-gang from the bargain shop would be a good move, but what about ampage, surge protection, thermal cut out, etc. Is there any advice I need to follow?

Also is it recommended to plug certain things into certain extensions? I was thinking lights into one, cd player, etc. into another and amp(s) directly into the reel under the desk? No reason behind that, it just feels sensible.

Thanks,
Chris.

Dynamic Entertainment
28-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I dont think that there are many issues aslong as you adhere to the load rating. One thing that youve got to be careful with reels is that there is two different ratings, one for a wound reel, and one for unround. If i remember right, mine is 700w would, and 2700w unwound. If you do go for reels, get a few different lengths. Theres nothing worse than having a 15m reel for 10m's of space, and having 5m wrapped round your feet. :)

rob1963
28-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I dont think that there are many issues aslong as you adhere to the load rating. One thing that youve got to be careful with reels is that there is two different ratings, one for a wound reel, and one for unround. If i remember right, mine is 700w would, and 2700w unwound. If you do go for reels, get a few different lengths. Theres nothing worse than having a 15m reel for 10m's of space, and having 5m wrapped round your feet. :)

Excellent point, Steve.

Wound up or partly wound up reels are not good, as they have a much lower rating (as I found out to my cost many years ago). I'd suggest unwinding them fully & spreading out the cable if it's longer than required.

Excalibur
28-04-2009, 03:01 PM
I hate reels. I have a standard cable with a 2 way on the end which I made myself. I plug a surge protected 4way in for the delicates, and the other leg for extras. If possible, always run two cables, and share the power from the wall. I have a couple of 4ways on which I have extended the cable, and if you're close to a socket, you're laughing.

NOTE: If you're not competent with electrickery, get a sparky to do it for you. ;) Safety first. ;)

thex-faders
28-04-2009, 05:35 PM
It all depends on the venue but generally we ask that there is two mains sockets provided as a minimum to then run lights off one and sound & extras off the other.

I think surge protection is a good idea... however we havent got any extensions with them at the moment. Struggle to find black surge protected extensions! Any help?

CRAZY K
28-04-2009, 06:07 PM
What kind of extension cables, 4way sockets, etc. do people recommend?

I was thinking of getting something like a 4 gang cable reel, to give me 4 sockets at my desk, and then using extensions cables from there to the various sound and light devices at the desk.

There are so many things to consider, I have a 13A cassette reel in the house, but in the stores now most say 10A, do I need 13A? Some extensions have surge protection, some have individual switches and some cassettes/reels have thermal cut offs.

Not sure what exactly I need? I'm guessing you get what you pay for and not buying a 65p 4-gang from the bargain shop would be a good move, but what about ampage, surge protection, thermal cut out, etc. Is there any advice I need to follow?

Also is it recommended to plug certain things into certain extensions? I was thinking lights into one, cd player, etc. into another and amp(s) directly into the reel under the desk? No reason behind that, it just feels sensible.

Thanks,
Chris.

For a long extension I was recommended and use 16 amp Arctic cable which is fairly tough.

I would wait for Tony of A1 to get on later--he deals with higher power situations and would have the best advice.

CRAZY K

A1DL
28-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a strong personal hatred for white cables & connectors of any description and as a rule of thumb maintain that if you can buy it in a supermarket, it is intended for d0m3st1c as opposed to professional use.

When it comes to cables, I must confess to having an extreme rubber fetish... HO7RNF all the way, easy to work with, suitable for use in virtually all environments and conditions, and it's black.

The widespread ignorance amongst individuals in the entertainment industry when it comes to electricity is really scary. This ranges from individual performers, through to bands, venues and some marquee companies, whom work on the premise that if the appliance comes on, it must be safe!

I could write a book about this subject (perhaps that's a good idea - I could sell it for considerably less than the £180 payable for BS7909:2008), but to stay on topic, here's a few top line tips:

(1) If you insist on using d0m3st1c reels, fully unwind them and be mindful of the maximum current draw, usually stamped somewhere on the casing.

(2) 30ma RCD plugtop adaptors save lives - invest in them.

(3) If working outdoors, use suitably rated connectors (IP44/IP67) and NOT a daisy chain of d0m3st1c reels.

(4) Lay cables safely, the danger isn't just limited to electrics. It is NOT safe to run cables across a field where people can trip on them, nor is it a good idea to suspend cables from trees, marquees, etc at 5ft, where someone can unwittingly hang themselves when it's dark.

I'll leave it there for now :)

Tony

Dynamic Entertainment
28-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Tony...Write the book mate, id buy it (seriously) :) - I think that im fairly safe when im using electricity, but im bound to not know something....

Daryll
28-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that.
One thing , presume I brought some HO7RNF 2.5mm 3 core ,to make up extension leads , is there a preferred 13a plug , the only ones that spring to mind are crabtree and MK , are these classed as domestic ?.

Daryll

A1DL
28-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for that.
One thing , presume I brought some HO7RNF 2.5mm 3 core ,to make up extension leads , is there a preferred 13a plug , the only ones that spring to mind are crabtree and MK , are these classed as domestic ?.

Daryll

Daryll

You will struggle to get 3G2.5 into a 13a plugtop with the cordgrip intact. The cordgrip must not be omitted. The only plugtops I have successfully wired with 3G2.5 are Duraplug Rubber, and event those are very tight.

I would recommend you use 3G1.5 (1.5mm) cable for short jumpers (from a 13a plugtop to a 16a ceeform socket), then use the 2.5mm HO7 with 16a ceeform connectors for the lengthy extension, thus reducing voltage drop, then jump back down from a 16a ceeform plug to 13a socket at the equipment/appliance end, if applicable.

Hope this helps

Tony

A1DL
28-04-2009, 07:23 PM
For a long extension I was recommended and use 16 amp Arctic cable which is fairly tough.

I would wait for Tony of A1 to get on later--he deals with higher power situations and would have the best advice.

CRAZY K

Hi Alan

Personally I don't disagree with you, indeed we had quite a few hundred metres of blue arctic up until a year or so ago.

However, arctic is not included in the 2008 rewrite of BS7909 as suitable for outdoor use, since it is deemed not to afford sufficient mechanical protection (as it can split easily).

Tony

CRAZY K
28-04-2009, 07:57 PM
:D
Hi Alan

Personally I don't disagree with you, indeed we had quite a few hundred metres of blue arctic up until a year or so ago.

However, arctic is not included in the 2008 rewrite of BS7909 as suitable for outdoor use, since it is deemed not to afford sufficient mechanical protection (as it can split easily).

Tony

Fair enough Tony, I was given the advice in 2007 which was correct im sure.

I have about 100 feet in old money.

Split easily--what if you had a tug of war with it:D :D :D

Was there an actual case to base this on that resulted in a serious accident?

Im not laying cable anywhere near where the public is going to stress it, touch it or walk on it--although no doubt others will.

If I was continually working Public Events like Fairgrounds or outdoor PA fair enough.

Its weird how those of us with common sense have been working for 30 years with lethal equipment by modern standards and yet never had a problem---its that old lady luck again;)

ALAN
CRAZY K

A1DL
28-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Was there an actual case to base this on that resulted in a serious accident?

No case I'm aware of. More ridiculously, (yellow) arctic is still the standard for 110v flexible cabling on building sites, where any mechanical stress would, I imagine, be far greater than within a temporary electrical installation within the entertainment industry! However, the key difference is a building site is not deemed a public place.

CRAZY K
28-04-2009, 08:52 PM
No case I'm aware of. More ridiculously, (yellow) arctic is still the standard for 110v flexible cabling on building sites, where any mechanical stress would, I imagine, be far greater than within a temporary electrical installation within the entertainment industry! However, the key difference is a building site is not deemed a public place.

I suppose these people have to come up with something to justify their existence?

:Laugh: :Laugh:

CRAZY K

Excalibur
29-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Of course. Bear in mind that a building site is populated by highly trained operatives, to whom risk assesment is second nature, who regard personnel and equipment safety as their number one priority.

Must go now, my wife wants me to look at this pig looping the loop outside the kitchen window. :D :D :D :D

Vectis
30-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Must go now, my wife wants me to look at this pig looping the loop outside the kitchen window. :D :D :D :D

Just make sure it doesn't sneeze in your general direction ;)

kjdiscos
30-04-2009, 10:30 AM

110 is alot safer as im sure your aware with your expertise in electrical installations / wiring

Due to the fact its run of a transformer and if you split one core you will only hit 55volts