PDA

View Full Version : Mac's, Bootcamp and Windows

Dj Diddy Davies
30-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Apple now claim that the newer Macs with dual core processors can boot with either Windows or OSX.

Has anyone got any experience of working this way? and does it really work? What about computer DJ programs taht are Windows only, anyone experience of running these with Bootcamp?

Interested as would like to go down the Mac route, but have lots of software that runs in Windows.

Thanks

Steve.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't understand why you'd want to buy a Mac and then run Windows? It doesn't make sense to me or am I missing something?

Vectis
30-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Bootcamp does indeed give you a dual-boot mechanism so that you can run Windoze on the Mac hardware. Performance is roughly equivalent to a similarly-specced machine from any other vendor. There is plentiful driver support.

There are various virtual packages too - of which my fave is Parallels. This sits on top of OSX and lets you install pretty much any operating system (or multiples thereof) BUT in some cases you don't get direct control of the hardware as you're in emulation HOWEVER I run all sorts of Windoze apps quite happily inside Parallels so as long as you don't try to run the latest 3D graphics-intensive games on windows on mac in Parallels (you still following me? :D ) then you're OK.

I've successfully run OTS DJ (precursor to OTS AV) in a virtual Windows XP machine inside Parallels sitting on top of OSX so from a DJing standpoint these things are possible.

Bootcamp cuts out the "maybes" and gives you a straight choice at boot time - OSX or Windows.

Parallels runs on top of OSX so you can have the best of both worlds.

Dj Diddy Davies
30-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I want the option of running Windows based software on the Mac. There is still a lot of software that is not Mac compatable, os if i can boot up Windows then i can cover all of the options (in theory).

There seem to be very few Mac orientated DJ software packages and as i was considering moving over to a lappie (a Mac) i was considering options.

Thanks

Steve.

Vectis
30-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I want the option of running Windows based software on the Mac. There is still a lot of software that is not Mac compatable, os if i can boot up Windows then i can cover all of the options (in theory).

Well with Bootcamp you can have Windoze OR OSX but not both at the same time. With Parallels you can have both at the same time, side by side and interacting with each other. BUT there are limitations as previously mentioned.

There seem to be very few Mac orientated DJ software packages and as i was considering moving over to a lappie (a Mac) i was considering options.

This comes up on the forum quite often so you might want to run a couple of searches. DJ1800 is a popular low-end package and I'm told (but haven't checked it out) that Virtual DJ is available for OSX. There are plenty more.

Jiggles
30-04-2009, 05:40 PM
If you get the latest parallels desktop(4.0) version then it supports full 3D games! Just to get an idea on what it can do!

yourdj
30-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't understand why you'd want to buy a Mac and then run Windows? It doesn't make sense to me or am I missing something?

You get both which makes buying a pc useless. buying a mac was the best move i ever made dj wise.

windows are developing a mac type platform as we speak.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2009, 08:20 PM
You get both which makes buying a pc useless. buying a mac was the best move i ever made dj wise.

windows are developing a mac type platform as we speak.

But if you want to use a Mac then why would you want to use a PC too? That's like being a vegetarian and then eating meat when the fancy takes you.

If you get the latest parallels desktop(4.0) version then it supports full 3D games! Just to get an idea on what it can do!

Which is most useful for DJing....

I'm told (but haven't checked it out) that Virtual DJ is available for OSX.

It is indeed.

Jiggles
30-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Which is most useful for DJing....

Its graphics rendering. If it can render the images quickly then its better.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Its graphics rendering. If it can render the images quickly then its better.

Better for what? We are talking about DJing with a Mac are we not?

Jiggles
30-04-2009, 09:05 PM
yes when I was using PCDJ FX if I had installed the wrong graphics drivers then it didn't work well juttering and such. If you get an emulator (parallels) that had good rendering then its going to be better.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2009, 09:11 PM
yes when I was using PCDJ FX if I had installed the wrong graphics drivers then it didn't work well juttering and such.

Well install the right drivers then!:confused:

I used FX for a few years without a problem and I had fairly basic built in graphics.

pdarnett
30-04-2009, 11:16 PM
oh you mac hater you, i use my mac most disco's now, but i have one piece of software (that i wrote) that's pc only so I run VMWare fusion which is far far better than parallels as you can just fire up the piece of windows software on its own without having to boot into windows.

The main advantage of the mac is that it just works. day in day out, no spyware, no randomness, no suddenly forgetting bits of hardware exist etc.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2009, 11:25 PM
oh you mac hater you, i use my mac most disco's now, but i have one piece of software (that i wrote) that's pc only so I run VMWare fusion which is far far better than parallels as you can just fire up the piece of windows software on its own without having to boot into windows.

The main advantage of the mac is that it just works. day in day out, no spyware, no randomness, no suddenly forgetting bits of hardware exist etc.

Which is why I wonder why people bang on about them as my PCs do the same. And no, I don't hate Macs, as I've never used one.

sleah
01-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I agree.
You want to use OSx/y/z 1.2.3.5..1.2.3.4.5.0.65.4.3 then buy a Mac, if you want to use Winders, buy a PC. Simple!

And no, I don't hate Macs,
No. But I do:Laugh::rofl::cheers:

:coat:

well..... just a bit maybe:D

pdarnett
01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Its a choice thing yes, I just got fed up with pc's going wrong, so hence the mac.

(I'm on my pc now btw)

but back on topic, Vmware fusion is the way to go if you want the best of both worlds.

Windows: massive choice of software to choose from
Mac: very reliable.

So VMware lets you have both.

servoskull
25-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree.
You want to use OSx/y/z 1.2.3.5..1.2.3.4.5.0.65.4.3 then buy a Mac, if you want to use Winders, buy a PC. Simple!

Currently running 10.5.7, Windows has similar OS names such as SP2V2, so you can't really judge an OS by its numbers. :)

I work in an Apple store, so i'm probably the most bias towards macs, but in my opinion, MAC OSX is the better OS. Windows would however, run alot better if Microsoft made their own computers, like Apple do. Its the need to make Windows open to change by a thousand different computer manufactures that cause the problems. Although UNIX is alot more stable than MS-DOS.

Geeking over...