PDA

View Full Version : Mcgregor Mytek 210 system

LanarkshireDisco
08-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Had done a search on these and seems noone has done a review on them so thought id give it a go.

Taken from mcgregor site

The most popular Mytek system comprises of a compact, painted, birch ply sub cabinet with 2 x 10" bass drivers and a built in passive crossover. Mid /Hi sound distribution is via an 8" driver and HF horn, mounted into a separate trapezoidal painted cabinet. This truly outstanding combination provides good vocal clarity and a bass response superior to most 1 x 15" bass bins twice its size.

My opinion
Have been using this system twice a week since december and have been impressed ever since.I chose these over the Mackie SRM450s after bad experience with overheating and cutting out.I didn't know if this system could handle a bigger room but it seems to cope fine.However as much as the system sounds great at any volume you just dont get the same ground shaking bass you get from a bigger system ( i have kept an active bass bin for this )

Advantages

Extremely lightweight
Excellent sound quality
Small and tidy ( hi-fi speaker size )

Disadvantages

Cabs chip easy without the covers

Overall

Cost is approx £999 for this system plus amp

If you have a £1k budget and are looking for a good all round lightweight system that will do most venues,then this would be a good choice.

If your looking for something that will shake the bar then consider the mytek 212 or 215 system however they start to get more bulky/heavier the bigger the subs.

http://www.mcgregoramps.co.uk/extimages/p_Mytek_208_Speakers.jpg

Comments welcome folks

Spirits High
08-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I had a demo of these and their bigger brothers at the local dealer...very impressive. They were also demo'd at DJSN last year

Same i'm an "active" boy though as these might swing me

djsteve10
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I have heard these and to be honest I aren't a fan of them.
The dealer turned them up th at loud they was distorting and tried to tell me that was only half the volume.

Personally I think you should have gone for the SRM450.

Excalibur
08-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I've heard a similar system, with one sub powering two small satellites. It was very loud, and very good, UNTIL one pushed the sliders to the limit. I've got a small mixer amp which is very similar, fine until the last 10%. ;)

Tom
08-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I also heard these at DJSN.

The sound was rather good actually, but they were distorting when the demonstrator was showing off the speakers.

I would say because everyone else was playing music at silly levels it was hard to get a good listen of the speakers, but from what I heard, they were rather good when up close. :)

Penfold42
08-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I've heard a similar system, with one sub powering two small satellites. It was very loud, and very good, UNTIL one pushed the sliders to the limit. I've got a small mixer amp which is very similar, fine until the last 10%. ;)

Ah now I remember....:o
They sounded quite good IMO.....but as Tom says....that :Censored: bass was over the top....IMO.

Excalibur
08-05-2009, 11:35 PM
They sounded quite good IMO.....but as Tom says....that :Censored: bass was over the top....IMO.

I had one demoed previously elsewhere. In more relaxed surroundings.

Tom
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM

That bass was extremely annoying. Came from the Intimidation stand from 4x 12" folded horn cabs.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of bass but sorry, that sounded nasty. Trying to play 30hz or something silly when the cabs only go down to 45hz (I think) but in a group of 4, I think they could go down to 38hz but that's not the point.

Still sounded :Censored:

LanarkshireDisco
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Sure that wasnt the mixer?

Most mixers will give you a distored sound if you run them full in the red.Could have easily been someone maxing out the gains trying to get it to do a bit more.

Ive been running it with a CV-1800 amp and had it flat out a few times ( without going into the red ) and not a sinlge bit of distortion.System is rated at 1.3k and the amp is 1.8k so thats already pushing the limits.

Excalibur
11-05-2009, 06:30 PM

Sure that wasnt the mixer?

Most mixers will give you a distored sound if you run them full in the red.Could have easily been someone maxing out the gains trying to get it to do a bit more.

Ive been running it with a CV-1800 amp and had it flat out a few times ( without going into the red ) and not a sinlge bit of distortion.System is rated at 1.3k and the amp is 1.8k so thats already pushing the limits.

The clue's in the red bit. ;) ;) :D This was a self powered rig. My money's on the actual amp module, as I say I have a mixer amp with identical traits.

discoden
30-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi i have been thinking of selling my peavey 2 x pro 15s and 2 pro 15 subs and getting the mytek 210 for portability, is this recommended??.
My only other option is to use one sub as i am stuck for space in my vehicle.
Any advice appreciated.
den

Disco Therapy
12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I got the slightly bigger version of this, the 212. I wish I'd gone for the 210, it's more than powerful enough, lighter and easier to fit into the car.

Great systems, brilliant sound.

Corabar Entertainment
12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow! You're resurrecting some old threads tonight! :lol:

DiscoPromotions
14-05-2010, 07:56 PM
we have got a pair of these we use if in small venue or upstair room. Light weight and powerful sound... Good quality. We got these as part of deal. We were going to sell them on, but we have kept them as great when we cannot use our 6 speaker system.

Disco Therapy
17-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow! You're resurrecting some old threads tonight! :lol:

I was bored that night, trawling through the board and saw the thread.