PDA

View Full Version : Laptop/Mac help with DJing

CollinsGA
08-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi,
I have a pair of Citronic cd players with a mixer and wanted to get a laptop or mac to go with it but i'm not really sure where to look. I sort of know what software i would like to get which is the torq DJ but im not sure what to look when getting a laptop or mac like what is the minimum memory space etc.
So if you know what are the requirments and needs for the laptop or mac to forfill please could you tell me or even advise me on what to get.
I have quite a tight budget, being not particuly wanting to go over £500 but can reach about £800 at the mo but could save up if needed.

Cheers

Spirits High
08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
You'll get a better response if you pop over to the newbies section and introduce yourself ;)

yourdj
10-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I use a 12inch 1gig ram G4 powerbook. You can pick them up off ebay or bootfairs for about £250. great laptops. I have had mine for years and it only died on me yesterday. No problems at all otherwise.

I run serato and a denon dhhd2500 as a controller/player.

You can get a cheaper controller. My friend uses the new itch and vestax controller which is brilliant but costs £600.

Serato (you need the hardware) should be controlled by your cdj's but check that so all you will need is the laptop and serato (about £250 second hand) which will read itunes playlists. this is the best option for cost vs performance.

Other wise you can get a cheap controller and tractor or something which is far chaper. Total - £250 laptop, £100 contoller, £? tractor

don't go below a G4 laptop (powerbook). Im currently using a G3 and its not as good.

If your going down that route get the new G5 ibook (£600-700 shand) which allows you to run windows as well at the same time. You can then use newer software such as pcdj and itch without worrying about it failing.

failing that you could just run off a digital player such as the denon dnhd 2500 and not use the laptop live?