PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Mixing with VDJ

Mark Wild
13-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know about you but I didn't know VDJ had the capability to read the harmonics of a track (key & camelot - right click title bar and check them). Aparently its more accurate than the "Mixed in Key" software. For you guys who have never ventured into harmonic mixing before, check out this Danny Rampling tutorial. Its aimed at the mix in key software specifically but if you use VDJ Pro theres no need to purchase it, you have the tool already. Harmonic mixing can massively improve your sound and opens alot of different adventures within mixing as a D.J imo. (It's not just for club D.J's either) For those of you that have used this method for a long time hopefully, you won't see this post as patronising (sorry if you do), maybe throw out some tips? Interesting stuff ! :D :beer1:

YouTube - Mixed in Key tutorial 1

Larry B Entertainment
13-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Luckily for me, I learnt about using relative minors when I did my Diploma in music. Some of the stuff I learnt then has been useful to apply the knowledge to DJ'ing, especially when throwing the odd accapella into the mix.

DJ James Lake
14-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Already do it and have been for a long time. Agreed it does improve the sound of your mixes. Can also help control the mood

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Already do it and have been for a long time. Agreed it does improve the sound of your mixes. Can also help control the mood

Of a wedding or a 50th wedding anniversary?

Silver
14-05-2009, 08:04 AM

If they are the only types of functions you do then it's not for you. It wouldn't help at a christening, a children's party, a 60th, 70th or 80th birthday party, a wake, a retirement party, background music at a dinner party either.

However, there are other functions, 18th and 21st parties, student bashes, school dances, pubs, anywhere where drum n base has been requested, house, dance, any high tempo music, which I tend to do more of than weddings or 50th wedding anniversaries (never done one in 20+ years). I do 4 to 6 pub gigs every month, plus 2 or 3 birthday parties.

Why is it whenever this topic is discussed it gets put down. Okay if you don't think it can improve your presentation then fine don't use it but as with many tools available, for some of us it helps.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Why is it whenever this topic is discussed it gets put down. Okay if you don't think it can improve your presentation then fine don't use it but as with many tools available, for some of us it helps.

Don't get your knickers in a twist!

I wasn't putting it down. I'm sure it has it's value and makes your mixes sound better. I'm just not sure that in the environment that most of us work, that it would be noticed.

Let's be honest, when was he last time Danny Rampling did anything other than clubs? (or radio)

Mark Wild
14-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm just not sure that in the environment that most of us work, that it would be noticed.

:agree:

Its more a personal thing for me, sometimes I get bored with slamming the crossfader left & right on cue points. But your right, no-one will notice or care in the majority of senarios we find ourselves in.

Adam_F
14-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Never knew VDJ did that.

Most of my dance MP3s have been run through Mixed in Key, but as the HD 2500 and MEP 7000 can't search by key or comments, it's up to me to either keep reading from the CD sleeves, or from memory, so apart from probably 18th & 21sts it's not really something that I concerned about, unless it's an accapella as mentioned above.

Silver
14-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Don't get your knickers in a twist!
I am now officially chilled http://planetsmilies.net/cool-smiley-9017.gif http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-11086.gif

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 11:39 AM
:agree:

Its more a personal thing for me, sometimes I get bored with slamming the crossfader left & right on cue points. But your right, no-one will notice or care in the majority of senarios we find ourselves in.

That sounds advanced. Some of us can barely cope with up and down. :o :o

Mark Wild
16-05-2009, 11:48 AM
That sounds advanced. Some of us can barely cope with up and down. :o :o

I'm guessing by that comment your cross fader stays in the middle at all times? You use channel faders? Maybe expand on your comment?

Adam_F
17-05-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm guessing by that comment your cross fader stays in the middle at all times? You use channel faders? Maybe expand on your comment?

I don't use a crossfader, just switch it off. Mainly use my EQs to mix with, and channel faders a little.

DJ James Lake
17-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Yes it does help even at a wedding or 50th, it improves mixes no end. Mixing is mixing it isn't limited to club music every type of music has a key and harmonic mixing will make the sound of the music flow much better.

Think of it in the way you wouldnt jump from a slow song to a fast song and then back to a slow one a again. There is a structure to our sets even a weddings, harmonic mixing can be used at any function to improve your sets

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Yes it does help even at a wedding or 50th

Sorry, but most of the time, I disagree.

At a younger party, bar or club perhaps.

And yes, I'm sure it does improve the flow and the sound of the mix, but I can't see it being overly useful at a 50th wedding anniversary.

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I personally have no use for a crossfader. I'm not a mixing DJ. I simply use the channel faders to balance the volumes. As a rule, I talk over the join, only making an effort to make a rudimentary mix on some modern tracks, and of course there are one or two classics I know backwards, and can do from memory.

I don't use a crossfader, just switch it off. Mainly use my EQs to mix with, and channel faders a little.
That baffles me. :confused:

Sorry, but most of the time, I disagree.

At a younger party, bar or club perhaps.

And yes, I'm sure it does improve the flow and the sound of the mix, but I can't see it being overly useful at a 50th wedding anniversary.

I'm tempted to call Darren a Fuddy Duddy, but in essence I agree with him. :( I'd concede that it might be of more use to DJ's who regard the mic as a boobytrap. ;)

JAMdisco
18-05-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm with Peter on this one, my cross fader has never moved since I first bought my mixer, I tend to mix with the faders and use Virtual DJ's beatmatch feature.

Obviously it won't work on all songs but the stuff that requires mixing, for example D&B or Dubstep (which in all fairness is a VERY small minority of gigs), it works well enough for me. I've even had comments from 'hardcore' D&B DJ's that the mixing was "ok". That's good enough for me :D

I've even thought about removing the replaceable cross fader on my mixer to stop me accidentally catching it.

BeerFunk
18-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't use the crossfader either, and as far as I know, the only 'Pro' DJs that do are DJs that require a quick chop from one track to another (ie. Hip-Hop DJs)

I've even thought about removing the replaceable cross fader on my mixer to stop me accidentally catching it.If you don't assign any channels to it, it won't be in use anyway

Mark Wild
18-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't use the crossfader either, and as far as I know, the only 'Pro' DJs that do are DJs that require a quick chop from one track to another (ie. Hip-Hop DJs)

Load of tosh

If you don't assign any channels to it, it won't be in use anyway

No :Censored: Sherlock :D

BeerFunk
18-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Load of tosh:confused:

Mark Wild
18-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Theres no right or wrong and to say Hip Hop Dj's are the only "Pro" DJ's that use the cross fader is a "Load of Tosh". It boils down to how you initially learn and what method you feel most at ease with.

BeerFunk
18-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Theres no right or wrong and to say Hip Hop Dj's are the only "Pro" DJ's that use the cross fader is a "Load of Tosh". It boils down to how you initially learn and what method you feel most at ease with.Well, yes, there is no reason why you shouldn't use the crossfader, and you can achieve the same results.

I suppose it also boils down to the style, and standard of mixing. You have more control over the sound levels of both channels by using the main faders, and I feel you are less prone to mistakes.

I also mistakenly used the term 'Pro DJs', which I perhaps should have used a term like 'mix-based DJs'.

I hope that clears up my viewpoint :)

Nile
25-05-2009, 07:30 PM
hmm.
didnt know this...
is it also in older VDJ's?
I use 4.3.....
:-)
not using the crossfader eh.....
hmmm...
that'll stump me then!
:-)
:bang:

DJ Jules
25-05-2009, 09:21 PM
As a rule, I talk over the join, only making an effort to make a rudimentary mix on some modern tracks, and of course there are one or two classics I know backwards, and can do from memory.

There's a guy based down near Weston-Super-Mare who also appears on local Radio and did a wedding for a friend of ours about a year or so ago now. He completely screwed the beginning of the night by talking over EVERY join, and in a lot of instances actually stopping between tracks to announce the next track to the full dance floor (and I'm not talking about "This song was requested by xxx", I mean just "This next song is xxx by yyy"). Absolutely :Censored: crazy, after about 15mins of this the dance floor emptied. Luckily after another 45mins a live band came on and saved the night, but he'll forever be burned in my memory as the DJ who wouldn't shut the :Censored: up!

Please tell me you don't do that Excalibur ;)

Julian

Dynamic Entertainment
25-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Im tempted to buy the software $58 aint much, and it works with SSL :)

kilmeedyman
26-05-2009, 12:39 AM
but he'll forever be burned in my memory as the DJ who wouldn't shut the :Censored: up!

Please tell me you don't do that Excalibur ;)

Julian

I was just thinking the very same thing :eek: