PDA

View Full Version : Stair climber

CRAZY K
14-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Im getting a bit fed up with lifting up stairs, steps, kerbs etc so thought I would get one of these--especially as I might have some new heavier speakers shortly--im going against the trend:D

I have seen one of these as kindly recommended by Excalibur---

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/csl2-industrial-stair-climber

Any suggestions, ideas, pros and cons or good /bad experiences would be much appreciated.

thanks

CRAZY K

Jiggles
14-05-2009, 04:41 PM
The school has one and its works. Noisy other than that it does the job! Now obsolete seeing as we now have a lift. :D

CRAZY K
14-05-2009, 05:13 PM
The school has one and its works. Noisy other than that it does the job! Now obsolete seeing as we now have a lift. :D

Is it going for free then Callum:D

Or have you got it;)

CRAZY K

Jiggles
14-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I think its now used in the boiler room :D Sadly :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I reckon it would be easier and less hassle to carry the gear.

CRAZY K
14-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I reckon it would be easier and less hassle to carry the gear.

Possibly, but at my age and my back -:eek:

I rely on my continued fitness to continue doing a job I love so anything I can do to keep that is an investment.

20 years ago I would have agreed with you:)

Alan

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Possibly, but at my age and my back -:eek:

You still have to lift everything on the stairclimber and then attach the bungees to keep everything on there and then pull it upstairs, which I should imagine wouldn't be great on your back either.

wensleydale
14-05-2009, 09:20 PM
just take work in venues with no stairs.

CRAZY K
14-05-2009, 09:21 PM
You still have to lift everything on the stairclimber and then attach the bungees to keep everything on there and then pull it upstairs, which I should imagine wouldn't be great on your back either.

True but the classic problem with lifting accidents and strained backs is trying to lift a heavy load incorrectly starting from the ground.

Trying to lift a 27kg speaker up even a few stairs is difficult at the best of times.

I think I would rather pull the load than lift it.

Nurses are infamous for bad backs from lifting patients in Hospital.

Somehow I dont think a bungee is going to be strong enough--im thinking heavy duty straps:eek: although at the moment using a small trolley for easy steps I just use gravity or a spare hand.:)

CRAZY K

djsteve10
14-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Buy lighter speakers?

Mark Wild
14-05-2009, 11:23 PM
A man with your experience will know to lift from the knees, so we won't go there. That stair climber monstrosity is hideous and I can forsee all kinds of injuries from dragging that beast up a flight of stairs or three loaded with heavy equipment. What about a back support? Like a weight lifting belt of some sort?

CRAZY K
15-05-2009, 08:35 AM
A man with your experience will know to lift from the knees, so we won't go there. That stair climber monstrosity is hideous and I can forsee all kinds of injuries from dragging that beast up a flight of stairs or three loaded with heavy equipment. What about a back support? Like a weight lifting belt of some sort?

Its ok im not competing for Northamtonshires Strongest man contest :D

Bear in mind I would only place one speaker at a time on the climber for stair work ---weight no more than say 27kg so its not an issue pulling upstairs.

I want to use the speakers I am most happy with sound wise--not those that are most convenient to use because they are light---as far as possible if im having to listen to the music for the evening which is increasingly including Country Music and I want plenty of punch and bass end to do it justice because unlike a lot of my previous work which relied more on my skills over the microphone to some extent with a Country Disco you do have to rely on the music and its sound quality. Let the music do the talking for part of the evening;)

This shift towards more venues with more difficult and demanding access including stairs is because im moving away from pure Barn Dance work towards functions using a mixture of Disco and Country Music --these are increasingly in venues with the said access difficulties.

Western Theme Events are now our most booked gig.

Any other feedback on using stair climbers appreciated,

thanks

CRAZY K

rob1963
15-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Buy lighter speakers?

Preferably WITHOUT teardrop handles! ;)

JAMdisco
15-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Trying to lift a 27kg speaker up even a few stairs is difficult at the best of times.

You think that' difficult (even though I disagree) try lifting a Mackie SWA1501 (around 45kg if I remember correctly) up a flight of stairs. Now multiply that by 2 and also lifting 2 down at the end of the night (when things always seem to be heavier ;) :D ). Now that IS difficult.

So glad I invested in a new system before my back gave out. :D

CRAZY K
15-05-2009, 10:31 AM
You think that' difficult (even though I disagree) try lifting a Mackie SWA1501 (around 45kg if I remember correctly) up a flight of stairs. Now multiply that by 2 and also lifting 2 down at the end of the night (when things always seem to be heavier ;) :D ). Now that IS difficult.

So glad I invested in a new system before my back gave out. :D

Good call Justin--

Im hoping to drop in and see Spin ( Matt) tonight in the toon (Northampton Toon) and drool over his DB Active Sub 15inch which weighs a mere 32kg.:D

Should be interesting.

What is slightly worrying is the replacement speakers for these type of units seem to be around £400 and with actives there appears to be a risk of speaker destruction by electrical faults---rather than over driving which I can cope with.

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
15-05-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/csl2-industrial-stair-climber

Any suggestions, ideas, pros and cons or good /bad experiences would be much appreciated.

Yeah, don't waste your money.

If it's anything like the one we've got, it's heavier than the majority of kit you'd use it for.

Mark Wild
15-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Its ok im not competing for Northamtonshires Strongest man contest :D

Bear in mind I would only place one speaker at a time on the climber for stair work ---weight no more than say 27kg so its not an issue pulling upstairs.

Well to be honest I think I was answering in an overly "feel sorry for the old man" way. So enough of that, the stair climber is ridiculous for 27kg its for things alot heavier than that. Pick it up, stop whining and get your @rse up them stairs for crying out loud. :D

Corabar Steve
15-05-2009, 11:26 AM

If it's anything like the one we've got, it's heavier than the majority of kit you'd use it for.
& takes up unnecessary room in the van

CRAZY K
15-05-2009, 12:08 PM

This one weighs 10 kgs apparently---

Its certainly a factor --thanks--- might see if there are lighter ones as the max load I need is only around 28kgs onstairs--I can already push two Peavey Subs 52kg total on my existing Mickey Mouse trolley from Morrisons;)

CRAZY K

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Update: The goalposts have moved. Alan now needs a machine which will propel the cabs up the stairs, possibly him as well, and then lift them four feet into the air onto the stands. :( :( :( Bit trickier, now. ;)

Mark Wild
17-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Update: The goalposts have moved. Alan now needs a machine which will propel the cabs up the stairs, possibly him as well, and then lift them four feet into the air onto the stands. :( :( :( Bit trickier, now. ;)

:lol:

CRAZY K
17-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Thank you very much Peter for todays hospitality.

The pain in my back is improving every hour:D

The reality is I can lug Peavey Subs up short flights of stairs---but fit a Class D 15SP on to a Speaker stand at 120mm high---nah!

Only one man I know can do that and he lives in Yorkshire unfortunately and isnt available as my Roadie:bang:

Im not able to consider the Class D 15SP speaker because im struggling to get it on to a stand---sounds silly but its to do with the shape, length and weight of the speaker and I cant be struggling to slot it in place and do my back more mischief, which I did today:eek: sadly I feel even with practice its not going to happen.

On a separate issue the sound quality is asbolutely fine and excellent for the price, the efficiency( loudness) is not as good as some speakers and also is 8ohms--- however that is not a problem if driven with a higher powered amp as we discovered today.

Back to the drawing board, I would consider using a stairlift with my existing heavy subs but as Steve points out---I wont have enough space to take it in my vehicle:eek:

CRAZY K

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 07:34 PM
It was a pleasure to meet you and your charming wife. As a result of our afternoon, we too have gained knowledge. We shan't be taking a holiday in that part of China! :D :D

It came as no shock to realise you might struggle to aerialise those cabs. ;)

The search criteria is now for a cab with thunderous bass, clear vocal tone, and weighing naff all, so Alan can lift it onto a stand. :D :D :D (Either that, or a hoist which climbs stairs, and fits in a Mondeo. )

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-05-2009, 07:37 PM
The search criteria is now for a cab with thunderous bass, clear vocal tone, and weighing naff all, so Alan can lift it onto a stand. :D :D :D (Either that, or a hoist which climbs stairs, and fits in a Mondeo. )

...and cheap too I suppose?!

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 07:40 PM
...and cheap too I suppose?!

According to the great man, cost would not be an issue, were the correct product to be found. ;) :D