PDA

View Full Version : LCD failure

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Help!

I use an HP IQ772 Touchsmart as my main office machine and the screen has started to do strange things. It is an intergrated all in one touch screen and out of warranty about 6 months ago.

The screen is disappearing and lots of vertical stripes of different colours and various brightness are appearing. After a while it appear to correct itself, but there is obviously a problem.

I have tried upgrading all drivers, but to no avail as the problem keeps happening, all be it intermittantly.

Any help/phone numbers to ring and sort out a repair would be great! If you know of anyone or a trusted company preferably near to the Reading area, can you let me know please?

Thanks.

Vectis
20-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Sure sounds like a video panel on its way out if you haven't updated any drivers recently to trigger this. I've had a few laptops go this way over the years. Probably a good idea to get a backup of your data should you not already have one whilst you can still see what you're doing :( Invariably the fault gets slowly worse until the panel fails completely. :bang:

Can you attach an external monitor in the meantime?

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Sure sounds like a video panel on its way out if you haven't updated any drivers recently to trigger this. I've had a few laptops go this way over the years. Probably a good idea to get a backup of your data should you not already have one whilst you can still see what you're doing :( Invariably the fault gets slowly worse until the panel fails completely. :bang:

Can you attach an external monitor in the meantime?

Yes, I can...

I have already backed up and have 2 other machines to use.

Pe7e
20-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Just because an item is out of the warranty THEY gave you, does not exempt them from the sale of goods act, here are a few points from the said act.

Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

Considering you probably paid £1000 you can reasonably expect more than 18 months use. Go back to the retailer and tell them you want the item repairing FOC as is your right under this legislation, or you will pursue a claim in the small claims court against them with the assistance of trading standards people(bluff) if they resist, go see trading standards, or just take them to court yourself, it's not difficult.