PDA

View Full Version : Disco Stand Stability Help Needed!

alexlite
21-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Hello,

I have a Prolight 4ft Disco Stand and would like your advice on how to rig my lights.

I have:

2 x 250watt Constella Club Scans that are 7.4kg each.
2 x 150Watt Acme Scanners that are 5.6kg each.

Do I rig the scans:

ACME CONSTELLA CONSTELLA ACME

Or:

CONSTELLA ACME ACME CONSTELLA

It makes sense to me to have the heavier lights on the inside of the stand and have the lighter lights on the outside of the stand, but would like your advice on this.

ALSO.

The Constella Scans lean more forward than the acme lights and was worried about the worst happening (tipping), would I be wise to tilt the ACME scanners back more to make up for the constella scans leaning forward:

I assume that the weight of the lights forces everything 'down' but not sure if the scans will force 'down and forward' meaning that I will need to tilt the acme scans 'back' to 'balance the stand.

Any advice on this please....

Many thanks in advance!

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't have thought with that much weight it would make any difference.

Reminisce disco
21-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't say that was particularly heavy.

My advice is do what I did, sell your prolight and pick yourself up an Ultimax.

Solid as a rock!

JAMdisco
21-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't say that was particularly heavy.

My advice is do what I did, sell your prolight and pick yourself up an Ultimax.

Solid as a rock!

My, my, that's helpful advice. Maybe, just maybe, he can't afford one yet.

Have to agree with the first bit though, it's not that heavy.
I used to have a similar problem with my Prolight deckstand when I was using Mackie actives (no amp to weigh the stand down) but after I got an amp it was pretty stable.

I now have a Giraffe deckstand which is better than the prolight but not as good as an ultimax (I'm led to believe). One day I will upgrade to an ultimax.

Yes, heavier lights on the inside would be preferential but as stated, it shouldn't make it unstable really. :)

Sapphire Disco
21-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I think you are right to be concerned about the stability of your stand and it would be even less stable if you had to set up on carpet, which sometimes happens when there is a portable dance floor, you could easily extend the foot print of your stand to make it less likely to tip over.

I must admit my ultimax is so much more stable than the giraffe was and it has the advantage of wheels and obviously the built in winches are great , no more standing on chairs or ladders to put lights on the bar which is great.
I did buy the flight bag which the Ultimax goes into but it's very heavy altogether, so I have put the stand in one bag and the winches in another,
but the Ultimax is a great investment.

Excalibur
21-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Four feet of box section steel, and four M8 nuts and bolts. ;) :D

( Make the base wider. )

welby
25-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I have a 4ft Giraffe - and never had a problem with weight - I load it with remote power switcher, pair of pumas and a pair of duets, smoke machine and tri-laser. I don't have an amp as I use active speakers, but my mixer flight case which sits on the top shelf is fairly heavy.

The giraffe 4ft is light and portable - small when dismantled and can be put up in 5 mins flat! - I found a flight bag for it off fleabay.

And no nuts and bolts or even welding kit either!

Happy as a sand boy!