PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio

jeremy knight
25-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Everyone
Have you or anyone has set up Internet Radio, because as I do discos, I would like to set up the Internet Radio using itunes and videos. I have managed to set up the Last FM which I have now. How did you set one up on your pc and how are you getting on.
From Jeremy

Jiggles
25-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Im starting to set one up. Using Sam Broadcaster (its unbelievably good) as play out to a Mixer with mic and external PC with Skype and Jazler show (Jingles). I have my site all up and I'm working on Licenses at them moments (Not easy as usual!) We hope to have it all up and running for the summer holidays :D Servers cant beat www.internet-radio.org.uk Pay as you go style perfect :D

kjdiscos
25-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Try ots for the radio software, Flawless and awesome :). I know a radio station installer and he swears by it, I also use it for discos and video work and its awesome

Rowleys
25-05-2009, 02:24 PM
i used to run my own internet radio and used shoutcast servers

need any help pm me

OllieJames
25-05-2009, 02:48 PM
The easiest way is to run Sam Broadcaster, with an external microphone into your P.C (through a mixer if needs be). This then 'encodes' to a shoutcast server.

My friend is a host & shoutcast host, so if you require a shoutcast give me a shout. (get it?! :D)

jeremy knight
25-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I have Last.FM and it`s good. Some of the songs coming from itunes and internet ramdom. Who has Last.Fm on your pc. Currently I have Stunt Raindrops (Extended mix)
From Jeremy

rob1963
25-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Try ots for the radio software, Flawless and awesome :). I know a radio station installer and he swears by it, I also use it for discos and video work and its awesome

Seconded.

I have a friend who set up & ran an internet radio station for a few years.

He also used Ots, and never had a single problem.

Jiggles
25-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Sam is a corker. It logs the number of listeners to each song played and you can then use it for reporting purposes. Built in Jingle pallet thing and listener graphs.

kjdiscos
25-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Seconded.

I have a friend who set up & ran an internet radio station for a few years.

He also used Ots, and never had a single problem.

Sure he didnt use a D2 or Cortex rob :P only joking lol

rob1963
25-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Sure he didnt use a D2 or Cortex rob :P only joking lol

:Laugh:

kjdiscos
25-05-2009, 06:27 PM
:Laugh:

Rob, As you know the power of ots, As your mate used it for a radio station, Surely you must agree upto standard for a function though,

Sorry to take it off topic

rob1963
25-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Rob, As you know the power of ots, As your mate used it for a radio station, Surely you must agree upto standard for a function though

I don't know, as I've not used it at a function.

I did download the free trial version, and was very impressed with it.

SC Events
25-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I use Jazler Simplepack: http://www.jazler.com/

It is quite pricey, but if your going to do it, then do it well! It is an excellent piece of software.

It has separate screen for 'Instants' and the database part lets you search for Songs, Jingles and Spots.

If you have Virtual DJ, you can program that to do a show as well.

kjdiscos
25-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't know, as I've not used it at a function.

I did download the free trial version, and was very impressed with it.

Its well worth the money for the liscence rob ;), You never know it might convert you

rob1963
25-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Its well worth the money for the liscence rob ;), You never know it might convert you

You may be right, but I'm quite happy with the D2 & my little pile of ipods for now!

:D

jamesh
26-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Radio software wise on a budget you really can't go wrong with DARP Automation - It's around the same cost of OTS AV BUT it's been written by a radio presenter / radio station FOR RADIO....

For those radio jocks currently on the circuit or in the know on playout software it's been styled on PSquared Myriad so if you are used to using it from a presenter point of view then Darp is really easy to get along with.

Programming it is a bit of a nightmare as there isn't a full instruction book with it BUT after a while once you get your head around the basics it's great and there's always plenty of support from it's creators and fellow users.

I've used it none stop since Kingfisher FM began and have no plans to even change onto the likes of myriad in the future as why spend thousands on another playout system when you have something that looks similar and is just as stable but for half the cost. I'd rather use the money to beef up the studio and promotion and things...

Internet radio side of things my honest advice is dont bother. There's so many people that are starting them and soon get disheartened as they realise that after months of hard work they are still only getting 5 people listening it's crazy. There really is far too much variety online. The only way to truly make it work is either have a MASSIVE advertising budget to get it well known and keep it well known or to have an FM licence along side the internet one as you can then get people listening on the way to work and on the way home as well as where ever they are - which then pushes them onto the online stream when they are at home on the computer.

Honestly save yourself the costs of software, licences, music and publicising it and join one of the many millions of stations all ready out there as most are always looking for people as the turn over of presenters is very very high on most of them.

DJMaxG
27-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Radio software wise on a budget you really can't go wrong with DARP Automation

If running an FM Station, is it possible for the DJ to run it from their home PC, or do they have to be in the Studio?

sleah
27-05-2009, 01:43 PM
If running an FM Station, is it possible for the DJ to run it from their home PC, or do they have to be in the Studio?

Not sure what you mean by that???

An FM station consists of a transmitter site and a room with the playout kit (studio).
The transmitter site will be where ever OFCOM allow you to put it, the play out kit is wherever you want it allowing for the fact it needs to be hooked in to the transmitter.

So if you want to DJ from home, then that is your studio!

Or do you mean you have a studio, but want the option of doing a show from home? An outside broadcast of sorts.

Oh, FM transmission is blooming expensive when it comes to licensing:(

Larry B Entertainment
27-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh, FM transmission is blooming expensive when it comes to licensing:(

And difficult to be granted one. We applied for an FM license here and there is so much red tape to go through :mad:

rob1963
27-05-2009, 02:56 PM

There's no reason why you cant do a show on an FM radio station from your home computer.

I forget who, but somebody with a show on LBC in London did (and maybe still does) his show from his home computer somewhere in Devon or Cornwall.

The main studio simply need to pick up your feed & send it through the main studio mixer to the transmitter.

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 02:58 PM
There's no reason why you cant do a show on an FM radio station from your home computer.

I forget who, but somebody with a show on LBC in London did (and maybe still does) his show from his home computer somewhere in Devon or Cornwall.

The main studio simply need to pick up your feed & send it through the main studio mixer to the transmitter.

alot of stations do it robs correct :D ,

you simply install client software, Or you can get an isdn broadcast link but its not used much these days

rob1963
27-05-2009, 03:17 PM
You can do all sorts of wonderful things with technology.

I knew someone who did a joint show on an internet rasio station with someone who was thousands of miles away in the USA.

Listening to it, you'd never have known they weren't sitting next to each other in the same studio.

I believe they used Skype, or something similar, but it worked brilliantly.

Adam_F
27-05-2009, 03:28 PM

you simply install client software, Or you can get an isdn broadcast link but its not used much these days

Yeah, simple as that!

At Kingfisher FM, we did a few live outdoor broadcasts while on air.

sleah
27-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I spent ages trying to find out how I could pick up Last FM until I realised they are not a radio station, well definitely not an FM station, or even what you would consider an Internet radio station:confused:

The term Radio seems to have been changed to mean just something remotely connected with music these days.
Let's face it Last FM has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with radio. It's an online music player with a large choice of playlists.

And why the obsesion with tagging 'FM' on to names? Most probably don't have a clue what Frequency Modulation means let alone that it's what FM (in a radio sense) stands for!!!!

Hmm... feel a bit better now I've got that off my chest :p:D:D:D

DJMaxG
27-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Not sure what you mean by that???

An FM station consists of a transmitter site and a room with the playout kit (studio).
The transmitter site will be where ever OFCOM allow you to put it, the play out kit is wherever you want it allowing for the fact it needs to be hooked in to the transmitter.

I mean DJing from at home or local events etc - to be sent straight to the studio?

I'm fully aware how the transmitter works, thanks, but it's an extremely bulky unit to be carrying around everywhere.

jeremy knight
23-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi everyone
Do anyone knows about BoomFM internet radio station and have anyone of you joined it and what do you think and I have got VirtualDJ Home Edition installed to my pc which it ideal for my discos.
I still have Last.FM on my pc and doing alright.
From Jeremy