PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going digital

JSideFx
26-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I know posts like this will appear here all the time but i'm seriously considering changing from cd to a laptop,one of the main reasons is that its getting harder to find songs the songs I want at nights. But im concerned about reliability? My set up just now consists of 2 spare cd players and a spare mixes, cables ect but with a laptop and harddrive it would cost too much to get a back up just now, and i feel taking cds aswell defeats the purpose of changing over.

Daryll
26-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I know posts like this will appear here all the time but i'm seriously considering changing from cd to a laptop,one of the main reasons is that its getting harder to find songs the songs I want at nights. But im concerned about reliability? My set up just now consists of 2 spare cd players and a spare mixes, cables ect but with a laptop and harddrive it would cost too much to get a back up just now, and i feel taking cds aswell defeats the purpose of changing over.

I would go for it.
I have a CD back up ( numark CDN22) , I just take the NOW CD`s and a couple of jazz, ratpack for background , so not many CD`s.

The laptop:

IMHO I would format the drive , put a bare minimum OS on it ( XP is great for this , try not to go on the internet with it , just have your playout software , keep music on a separate external drive , they are very cheap these days , and obtain am external sound card.
I know this is inviting disaster , but I have never had a crash yet (computer :D )

Daryll

Excalibur
26-05-2009, 09:50 PM
OK, here's my two pennorth. As a Digital DJ of eleven months standing, I feel qualified to comment. ( That's two in-jokes, in case you didn't realise )

1) Before you commit to any system, rip all your CD's at your leisure. Accurately. Very accurately. Organise them to your personal preferences. Do not, repeat not even consider a system before you've done this.

2) Consider a HDC, whether it be Pioneer, Denon, Numark, or Cortex.

3) Use laptop plus HDC. Belt and braces. Foolproof. Posted by an accredited fool. ;) ;)

CRAZY K
26-05-2009, 09:50 PM

If your worried about cost go to USB---

Cortex HDC 1000 is around £250 x 2 =£500

HDs probably £100 each.

You may be able to find USB readers secondhand--I wouldnt personally buy a secondhand Laptop or Hard Drive,

CRAZY K

DeckstarDeluxe
26-05-2009, 10:21 PM
I have to say Ive had this laptop for nearly 18 months. I use it all the time and only recently started using it at gigs ALONGSIDE my two denon cd players and its never crashed. Not only that but I have a few games installed, loads of pictures and all my music on the computers hard drive. Its been far more reliable than my denons!

Vectis
26-05-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, here's my two pennorth. As a Digital DJ of eleven months standing, I feel qualified to comment. ( That's two in-jokes, in case you didn't realise )

1) Before you commit to any system, rip all your CD's at your leisure. Accurately. Very accurately. Organise them to your personal preferences. Do not, repeat not even consider a system before you've done this.

3) Use laptop plus HDC. Belt and braces. Foolproof. Posted by an accredited fool. ;) ;)

4) Buy a ProDub :o

Excalibur
26-05-2009, 11:13 PM

Oops. :o :o :o Thanks Vectis, I'd assumed this was taken as read. ( Actually I'd overlooked it, but if you don't let on I think I might get away with it. )

ppentertainments
26-05-2009, 11:28 PM

Good advice and totally agree (Especially the bit about the fool :D ).

Whilst it is easy to rush into it, spend time ripping your cd collection and ensure it is tagged correctly. With the price of Hard Drives at the moment I strongly reccomend ripping at the highest rip speed. Takes time but can save you hours of agony later if done correctly first time.

As far as laptop reliability goes, I used one for about a year as the main playout and now still use the same one for backup and background music. Never had any problems (apart from the time I forgot to plug it in and ran on battery till ...........). Personally speaking I prefer a HDC for the active part of the evening but a laptop for background music. Don't know why, just personal preference.

I would ask about to see if anyone local who uses digital can let you have a look before commiting.

Excalibur
26-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Good advice and totally agree (Especially the bit about the fool :D ).

Whilst it is easy to rush into it, spend time ripping your cd collection and ensure it is tagged correctly. With the price of Hard Drives at the moment I strongly reccomend ripping at the highest rip speed. Takes time but can save you hours of agony later if done correctly first time.

As far as laptop reliability goes, I used one for about a year as the main playout and now still use the same one for backup and background music. Never had any problems (apart from the time I forgot to plug it in and ran on battery till ...........). Personally speaking I prefer a HDC for the active part of the evening but a laptop for background music. Don't know why, just personal preference.

I would ask about to see if anyone local who uses digital can let you have a look before commiting.

Apart from the bit about the fool: Amen Brother.

rob1963
27-05-2009, 01:49 AM

OMG Vectis...you mentioned it!

I hope the boss doesn't see that post!

:eek:

JSideFx
27-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your help folks, I got an external hdd 320gig today for home use to back up my music but im thinking its the way forward, What is an hdc? a controller of some sort? sorry to seam daft but im new to the digital side, Ive also found a Numark io, I think it was that would let me use my original mixer, or have I got it Wrong?
Thanks again.
As for produb im looking into that via a link from another post on this form.