PDA

View Full Version : Microphone echo problems

Ajaysdisco
27-05-2009, 07:38 PM
At the moment I have some echo on my microphone and I was wondering if it is possible to remove this?
At the moment I am using a Shure wireless mic going through a shark feedback destroyer.
I know some of you use expanders, gates and compressors and various other bits and bobs. Could some please let me know briefly what these do?

Thanks in advance, :beer1:
Adam

DJMaxG
28-05-2009, 06:24 AM
It could be the type of Microphone you're using.

Try moving the 3 Band EQ around.

Ajaysdisco
28-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I currently use a Shure PG24/PG58 Wireless System, I will try adjusting the EQ, the problem I have is the only EQ I have on the mixer controls the whole lot! :o

kjdiscos
28-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I currently use a Shure PG24/PG58 Wireless System, I will try adjusting the EQ, the problem I have is the only EQ I have on the mixer controls the whole lot! :o

How do you mean the whole lot ?, What mixer are you using ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for your reply.

You really need to get a mixer with separate eq for the mic channel. it will be a lot easier to sort your problem out then. I use the same mics as you for karaoke with a Numark 200FX mixer and have never had the same problem.

Ajaysdisco
28-05-2009, 02:00 PM
How do you mean the whole lot ?, What mixer are you using ?

Literally its does the whole lot, every channel :o

You really need to get a mixer with separate eq for the mic channel. it will be a lot easier to sort your problem out then. I use the same mics as you for karaoke with a Numark 200FX mixer and have never had the same problem.

Thanks for the info, looks like I will have to invest!

Larry B Entertainment
28-05-2009, 02:35 PM
At the moment I have some echo on my microphone and I was wondering if it is possible to remove this?
At the moment I am using a Shure wireless mic going through a shark feedback destroyer.

Make sure you have the delay line compensation disabled on the Shark, this will add what appears to be echo if it is turned on.

This is a feature of the Shark and I would bet any money that this is the cause of your problem.

Delay Line: The Perfect Delay Tactic
Delay lines are required to compensate for time variations resulting from speaker positioning. The Shark's clever technology enables you to fill this bill to a T: the delay can be adjusted in meters, feet, or milliseconds. The maximum delay time of 2.5 seconds corresponds to a distance of 850 meters. Combining several Shark's with the optional rack-mount kit puts a complete professional speaker management system at your fingertips.

Larry B Entertainment
28-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Literally its does the whole lot, every channel :o

Thanks for the info, looks like I will have to invest!

In other words, the whole mix.

no need to invest in a new mixer :)

DJMaxG
28-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I have 2 Mixers. An entry level numark one, and a decent 19" rack mount one.

They both have a dedicated equaliser to the microphone channels.

If you are adjusting the equalier shown in orange, then that's the wrong one.

Ajaysdisco
28-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Make sure you have the delay line compensation disabled on the Shark, this will add what appears to be echo if it is turned on.

This is a feature of the Shark and I would bet any money that this is the cause of your problem.

Delay Line: The Perfect Delay Tactic
Delay lines are required to compensate for time variations resulting from speaker positioning. The Shark's clever technology enables you to fill this bill to a T: the delay can be adjusted in meters, feet, or milliseconds. The maximum delay time of 2.5 seconds corresponds to a distance of 850 meters. Combining several Shark's with the optional rack-mount kit puts a complete professional speaker management system at your fingertips.

Ahh, clever thinking thats a very good point, thank you, I will have a look. :beer2:

Larry B Entertainment
28-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I have 2 Mixers. An entry level numark one, and a decent 19" rack mount one.

They both have a dedicated equaliser to the microphone channels.

If you are adjusting the equalier shown in orange, then that's the wrong one.

The problem isn't with the EQ :bang:

Ajaysdisco
30-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I have had a quick look at the Shark and the compression thing is at 10 with a 10msec delay.
I believe everything else is off, I don’t know if this helps? :confused:

I won’t be able to do a full test until the next gig as I don’t have to space at the moment to set the sound system up.

Larry B Entertainment
31-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Just plug the mic into the mixer then use headphones to see if it is the shark that is producing the delay.