PDA

View Full Version : Right Angle DMX Connectors & Uplighting Question

Dynamic Entertainment
28-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Im in need of both male and female DMX (3-pin) connectors, that are at right angles (to fit floorstanding par cans). Ive looked at google and cant find anything other than the odd premade cable.

Also, when people are providing LED uplighting, how do you hide the slack cable. I understand that its worth having lots of different premade cable lenghts (say, 1m, 2m, 3m etc) but what do you do with the slack cable so that its taped dow and safe? or do you custom make fresh lengths for each job?

Many thanks

Steve

Excalibur
28-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Here you go. ;)

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01476/plug-xlr-90deg-3-pin/dp/AV14934

Dynamic Entertainment
28-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Thank you Peter. I must remember about CPC. Do you provide uplighting yourself?

djsteve10
28-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I have one length of power and dmx cables, I usually just coild the excess up neatly and tuck it away next to the par can and tape down the wires with gaffa tape. As for doorways I have some saftey mats to cover the cables up.

In regards to making fresh cables per job it would become very costly and you would have alot of wasted cables sitting around.

Excalibur
28-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Thank you Peter. I must remember about CPC. Do you provide uplighting yourself?
No. Not yet. However, it looks like a lucrative and popular service.

kjdiscos
28-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Im in need of both male and female DMX (3-pin) connectors, that are at right angles (to fit floorstanding par cans). Ive looked at google and cant find anything other than the odd premade cable.

Also, when people are providing LED uplighting, how do you hide the slack cable. I understand that its worth having lots of different premade cable lenghts (say, 1m, 2m, 3m etc) but what do you do with the slack cable so that its taped dow and safe? or do you custom make fresh lengths for each job?

Many thanks

Steve

Cable Mat would be the safest and quicker then taping steve, I just brought another 6 metres of the stuff for about 33 quid

Dynamic Entertainment
28-05-2009, 07:31 PM
All the cable mats ive seen have been full size mats and would look a bit out of place around the room wouldnt it. Unless theres slimmer mats?

How do you deal with excess cabling? Or are all cables made to order so to speak?

kjdiscos
28-05-2009, 07:35 PM
All the cable mats ive seen have been full size mats and would look a bit out of place around the room wouldnt it. Unless theres slimmer mats?

How do you deal with excess cabling? Or are all cables made to order so to speak?

Thes ones i use are about 7cm wide ish with a channel down the middle underside,as regards to excess i dont do uplighting on a full scale yet, but have a selection of leads 10 5 3 1's

Infact heres a pic for ya just took

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4282/28052009207.jpg

Dynamic Entertainment
28-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Cheers. Ive only ever seen the bigger mats with multiple channels running down them. they look perfect.

Im guessing that you just use gaffa tape on the corners and the mats on the straight sections?

kjdiscos
28-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Cheers. Ive only ever seen the bigger mats with multiple channels running down them. they look perfect.

Im guessing that you just use gaffa tape on the corners and the mats on the straight sections?

Yeah you got it for the corners tape, As not sure how else to do it, I guess you could cut pieces at angles and melt with a heat gun :bang: but that might be a mess lol

Those ones i can fit down it VGA DMX Power Cat 5 and Speaker if need be

They also come with hidieous yellow markings on, Which i guess you should use near doorways, Or you could just whack hazard tape on if your going under a door

Dynamic Entertainment
28-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Spot on, do you have a link to where you buy them. They are absolutly perfect for what i need :)

kjdiscos
28-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Spot on, do you have a link to where you buy them. They are absolutly perfect for what i need :)

I brought them of this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150346391667

super quick delivery with him to, Buy one day, ANC is at your day the next day :),

He also does a double channel one and the yellow stripey ones you will see in his other auctions

Dynamic Entertainment
28-05-2009, 07:54 PM

kjdiscos
28-05-2009, 07:56 PM
No worries mate, Hes about the cheapest i could find on the net and i had a good look around before purchasing any, They're also handy for well all disco related stuff