PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable! - Mackie Problems, and possible RCF upgrade

Shaun
30-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I've pretty much documented my past troubles with Mackie speakers, here on the forum.

Update. Finally got my my 1501 back after a while in the repair shop. Had both bins out at last nights gig and the other one went on fire!!

I was working alongside my other DJ last night, so was sitting down just behind the bass bin when the fault occured. I was closely monitoring both bins due to my recent hassle with them, carefully monitoring that they weren't clipping. I very rarely drive them to their potential, but the gig called for quite high sound levels so I was pushing them to their potential. All of a sudden I noticed the 1501 very slightly peaking, so I reached forward to turn down the level, before I got to it I saw blue and orange sparks shooting around the inside and plumes of smoke rising from the speaker.

For the split second the subwoofer was clipping (barely a second), surely the thermal cut-off should have prevented such a thing happening??. I hate to think how much more serious a fire could have broken out if I wasn't directly behind it.

Seriously disgusted with Mackie now. I've lost all faith in their reliability, and more importantly their safety. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Shouldn't the thermal cutoff prevented this scenario from happening?

OllieJames
30-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I've pretty much documented my past troubles with Mackie speakers, here on the forum.

Update. Finally got my my 1501 back after a while in the repair shop. Had both bins out at last nights gig and the other one went on fire!!

I was working alongside my other DJ last night, so was sitting down just behind the bass bin when the fault occured. I was closely monitoring both bins due to my recent hassle with them, carefully monitoring that they weren't clipping. I very rarely drive them to their potential, but the gig called for quite high sound levels so I was pushing them to their potential. All of a sudden I noticed the 1501 very slightly peaking, so I reached forward to turn down the level, before I got to it I saw blue and orange sparks shooting around the inside and plumes of smoke rising from the speaker.

For the split second the subwoofer was clipping (barely a second), surely the thermal cut-off should have prevented such a thing happening??. I hate to think how much more serious a fire could have broken out if I wasn't directly behind it.

Seriously disgusted with Mackie now. I've lost all faith in their reliability, and more importantly their safety. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Wow :eek: You really have had issues with Mackie! :eek:

What was wrong with the other one?

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Is this the one I sold you now Shaun with the uprated RCF driver?

Tony Scott
30-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Only if the fault was caused by an overheat situation. I would say it is more likely to be a problem with the amplifier's power supply, probably a rectifier or regulation problem causing an overloading of the transistors/output stage. Bad news either way!! :(

Shaun
30-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Is this the one I sold you now Shaun with the uprated RCF driver?

Just checked. The one that went last night is the one I just got back from the repair shop. I was mistaken.

So this is going to be the third trip to the repair shop for this speaker.

Daz, the one you sold me is still working perfectly. No issues.

What was wrong with the other one?

The speaker failed. They fixed it free of charge.

Only if the fault was caused by an overheat situation. I would say it is more likely to be a problem with the amplifier's power supply, probably a rectifier or regulation problem causing an overloading of the transistors/output stage. Bad news either way!! :(

Thanks Tony. Back to Mackie first thing Monday.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Just checked. The one that went last night is the one I just got back from the repair shop. I was mistaken.

So this is going to be the third trip to the repair shop for this speaker.

Daz, the one you sold me is still working perfectly. No issues.

*Breathes a sigh of relief* :D

I'm sorry to hear of your continued hassle with the Mackie bins and that is the exact reason I sold mine, as I didn't trust them anymore.

The 450s, I never had a problem with, but the 1501s were a nightmare.

Touch wood, I've never had a problem with the 705as. If you like the size and shape of the 1501 and fancy a bit more power, then maybe have a listen to the RCF Shaun?

OllieJames
30-05-2009, 03:16 PM
*Breathes a sigh of relief* :D

I'm sorry to hear of your continued hassle with the Mackie bins and that is the exact reason I sold mine, as I didn't trust them anymore.

The 450s, I never had a problem with, but the 1501s were a nightmare.

Touch wood, I've never had a problem with the 705as. If you like the size and shape of the 1501 and fancy a bit more power, then maybe have a listen to the RCF Shaun?

Darren, did you use the v1 SRM450s?

Excalibur
30-05-2009, 07:35 PM
A pair of these, and a :Censored: big amp. I've heard them. ;) ;)
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/pro-audio-m-15_professional-concert-bass-bin.html

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Darren, did you use the v1 SRM450s?

Yep.

OllieJames
31-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Yep.

I use them too, and i haven't had an issue (yet anyway!). Am i right in saying that the over-heating of the SRM450s is because they have to produce loads of bass when turned up loud? So, am i correct that if i use subs, it'll take the load off the mackie woofers so there's less chance of them overheating?

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I use them too, and i haven't had an issue (yet anyway!). Am i right in saying that the over-heating of the SRM450s is because they have to produce loads of bass when turned up loud? So, am i correct that if i use subs, it'll take the load off the mackie woofers so there's less chance of them overheating?

Some of the older ones had issues with getting too hot and thermalling out. This was a design fault as far as I remember. Other people had issues with them getting too hot as they had the gain up too high. It should be no further than 12 oclock which is the maximum.

The heatsinks on mine got hot, but that was it. I never had an issue with them.

OllieJames
31-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Some of the older ones had issues with getting too hot and thermalling out. This was a design fault as far as I remember. Other people had issues with them getting too hot as they had the gain up too high. It should be no further than 12 oclock which is the maximum.

Okay, cheers Daz ;)

Excalibur
31-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Theoretically that's absolutely correct Ollie.

From what I've gathered, that is indeed the case. I read elsewhere that one safety component was installed with a wrong value, which led to them cutting out at too low a temperature, giving the impression they'd overheated, when in fact they were fine.

This fits in with some folk saying they could never make theirs overheat, and others having no end of problems.

DeckstarDeluxe
31-05-2009, 05:34 PM

For the price you have to pay for them then surely it should be designed so this doesnt happean?

BeerFunk
31-05-2009, 06:15 PM
For the price you have to pay for them then surely it should be designed so this doesnt happean?I had a pair of the V1s, and for under £700 they were an absolute steal! I also never had a single issue with them.

OllieJames
31-05-2009, 06:41 PM
My Dad uses them a fair bit with my Mum's/Grandads jazz band. Yes, they get hot but he's never had a problem with them. I'm, understandably, a bit warey after hearing a fair few 'horror' stories about them cutting out. I'm using my friends subs for my next gig so it's eased my mind a bit. I'll have a play with the Mackies next week at home and see what happens.

Anyway, sorry for hi-jacking your thread Shaun! :sorry:

Shaun
01-06-2009, 01:18 AM

I'm seriously considering RCF.

Have you had a listen to the RCF Art 7 series? Quite like the look of the RCF ART-725A's, paired up to a couple of 705's or 905-AS's.

The 725's at 750watt per speaker will be more than enough power for the majority of my weddings, and the biss bins would give me bags of low end for larger gigs.

It's more than I was looking to spend but I'd rather get a high powered RELIABLE system than go through the turmoil I've went through recently with gear.

Twinspin
01-06-2009, 01:37 AM
I've heard the 7 series and they really are top notch. The ART 905's are very good as well.

The ART 905's are beastly subs at 1000w RMS each sub. But depends how many people you want to do. The ART705s will comfortably do big events

around just over £4000 for the ART725A's tops and ART905AS Bins

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~RCF-ART-725-A~ID~9110.asp

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~RCF-ART-905-A~ID~9111.asp

Shaun
01-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I've heard the 7 series and they really are top notch. The ART 905's are very good as well.

The ART 905's are beastly subs at 1000w RMS each sub. But depends how many people you want to do. The ART705s will comfortably do big events

around just over £4000 for the ART725A's tops and ART905AS Bins

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~RCF-ART-725-A~ID~9110.asp

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~RCF-ART-905-A~ID~9111.asp

Yep, that's the price I figured. I've emailed round all the usual suspects to see if there's any discount to be had for buying a complete package. It doesn't hurt to ask. :o

RE: the 705's. I kinda thought they would do, but I figured if I was going to be spending quite a bit anyway, it wouldn't do any harm to go for the more powerful bass-bins. That way if I do ever need the additional power....it's there.

JAMdisco
01-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Yep, that's the price I figured. I've emailed round all the usual suspects to see if there's any discount to be had for buying a complete package. It doesn't hurt to ask. :o

RE: the 705's. I kinda thought they would do, but I figured if I was going to be spending quite a bit anyway, it wouldn't do any harm to go for the more powerful bass-bins. That way if I do ever need the additional power....it's there.

Have you considered an 18" bass bin, they will handle lower frequencies (around 30hz) and you'd probably get by with one. I don't know if RCF do an 18" bin, just a thought if you want lots of additional power. They are damn heavy though so stairs would be a no goer.

Skarloey
01-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm seriously considering RCF.

Have you had a listen to the RCF Art 7 series? Quite like the look of the RCF ART-725A's, paired up to a couple of 705's or 905-AS's.

I would got with the 905's, did you get a demo of the 715's vrs the 725's , wonder which one suits dj's better

Twinspin
01-06-2009, 10:01 AM
RCF do an 18" powered sub they the same as the ART subs pretty much. but they are part of the RCF 4PRO range.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~RCF-4-PRO-8001-AS~ID~5309.asp

4-PRO 8001AS

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~RCF-4-PRO-8002-AS~ID~5310.asp

4-PRO 8002AS (Bandpass version same as ART 705AS but 18")

Shaun
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Have you considered an 18" bass bin, they will handle lower frequencies (around 30hz) and you'd probably get by with one. I don't know if RCF do an 18" bin, just a thought if you want lots of additional power. They are damn heavy though so stairs would be a no goer.

RCF do an 18" powered sub they the same as the ART subs pretty much. but they are part of the RCF 4PRO range.

Having read the specs, the 18" bins are quite a bit heavier, and not as high powered as their 15" counterparts. Not that keen on just the one either, for symmetrical reasons. It'd be nice to get the nice deep bass response of the 18" subs but I portability is a key factor for me.

I would got with the 905's, did you get a demo of the 715's vrs the 725's , wonder which one suits dj's better

I haven't had a chance to demo any yet. I'm going solely on recommendations and the look of the speaker. In the middle of getting quotes at the moment, then I'll head off to the most local stockist for a demo.

RE: the 715 v the 725. I completely overlooked the 715's during my look around the web. 400 quid of a difference. The only spec difference I can see is the following

715: Compression driver - 1" neo - 1.7" voice coil.
725: Compression driver - 2" neo - 2.5" voice coil.

I'm not the most tech savvy so I don't really know how that'll equate to what I'm using them for?

Penfold42
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Really feel for you Shaun. :(

Must be a right bind.....and I was looking into a Mackie bass bin....really not sure now.

Good luck with the RCF's.....:)

Twinspin
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Good idea having a demo of them at a local stockist. Im sure you wont be dissapointed. They sound fantastic powerful as well.

Adam_F
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
RE: the 715 v the 725. I completely overlooked the 715's during my look around the web. 400 quid of a difference. The only spec difference I can see is the following

715: Compression driver - 1" neo - 1.7" voice coil.
725: Compression driver - 2" neo - 2.5" voice coil.

I'm not the most tech savvy so I don't really know how that'll equate to what I'm using them for?

2.5" voice coil is better for long throw use, like for outdoors or BIG venues.

For a normal sized venue, the 725's sound too harsh on the top end, without a lot of playing around on the EQ taming the mids and highs.

Skarloey
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM

For a normal sized venue, the 725's sound too harsh on the top end, without a lot of playing around on the EQ taming the mids and highs.

Intrested to ask, have you used 715 's and 725's cos I am also looing at these and cant decide what to go for, when you say BIG size rooms how many people are you talking about? also for the 715's what's the max head count - 500 people?

Adam_F
01-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Intrested to ask, have you used 715 's and 725's cos I am also looing at these and cant decide what to go for, when you say BIG size rooms how many people are you talking about? also for the 715's what's the max head count - 500 people?

Used the 715's for a wedding with 400 guests.

By BIG I mean a long room really, where you need very good projection or dispersion for the sound. I'd only have the 725's if I did quite a few outdoor events or parties for over about 500/600 people.

I've A/B'd them side by side when the RCF guys came into our showroom for a whole day demo'ing their entire range for us, when we decided to start selling their cabs.

Shaun
01-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Really feel for you Shaun. :(

Must be a right bind.....and I was looking into a Mackie bass bin....really not sure now.

Good luck with the RCF's.....:)

I'll have a pair of Mackie bins for sale soon as well. :d

Really annoyed now. Just off the phone with the mackie repair guy and he sounded annoyed to hear from me again. Not as damn annoyed as I am to have to be calling him!

Adam, cheers for the info. :beer1:

Shaun
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks to all for the information, special thanks to Adam who I've been in contact with via PM, and Daz who was kind enough to call me.

After trying to find a stockist locally for a demo, I found it was like peeing against the wind...totally going nowhere!

So I've decided to buy blind after hearing the recommendations from those that use and own RCF's. I decided on pair of the RFC 715a's and a pair of the 905AS bass bins. I've ordered them and they should be with me in a couple of days.

The broken Mackie Bin goes into repair shop tomorrow.

Complete mackie system for sale soon. I guess it's straight to ebay rather than on the forum... especially after all my rants about them on here. :d

Thanks again everyone. :beer1:

Jiggles
02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Complete mackie system for sale soon. I guess it's straight to ebay rather then on the forum... especially after all my rants about them on here. :d

Well I may take the working sub for the right price :sj: Seeing as fire, disaster and me go hand in hand!

Shaun
02-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Well I may take the working sub for the right price :sj: Seeing as fire, disaster and me go hand in hand!

To be honest, I'll be more or less throwing the whole lot on ebay as a full system. I just want rid of the lot of them as quickly as possible.

Jiggles
02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
ok then.

DJMaxG
02-06-2009, 03:19 PM

It's best to follow the 3/4 rule. If you have to turn an amplifier (inc built in ones) past three quaters, then the system isn't powerful enough.

As mentioned before, when I hear about speaker problems, it always involves active ones.

Seriously disgusted with Mackie now. I've lost all faith in their reliability, and more importantly their safety.

Shouldn't the thermal cut off prevent this scenario from happening?

I know, you would have thought there would be some form of safety cutout.

At least with Passive, despite being more reliable on a whole, If a Fire or problem occured with the amplifier, it can be changed over for another, and will not burn all the speakers.

Can I ask Sean, How far did you turn the dial to?

Shaun
02-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Half way up (12 o clock).

BeerFunk
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
It's best to follow the 3/4 rule. If you have to turn an amplifier (inc built in ones) past three quaters, then the system isn't powerful enough.Assuming your mixer is set to full, then yes. I have always set my amp to 90-95%, and control the volume from the mixer, which is the job the mixer is supposed to do!

As mentioned before, when I hear about speaker problems, it always involves active ones.Really? Most speakers that I hear of blowing are (budget) passives. I suppose it makes sense, with the amount of passive speakers on the market as opposed to actives.

soundmaster mobile disco
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Shuan if you speak to Barry at immages in livingston he will arrange a demo for you.They are apparantley getting a whole load of the rcf range in the showroom.He is a rcf man and knows them inside out as he uses them for his business.

Shaun
02-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Too late, Gary. Already ordered them. :o

Thanks though... and thanks for the call. Great chatting to you.

DJMaxG
02-06-2009, 05:52 PM

That is ridiculous, half way is an acceptable level.

I can not believe what has happened, but I have heard that Mackie are having problems at the moment.

Are you getting rid of all your Mackie Cabs or just the sub woofers?

RCF probably are more stable.

soundmaster mobile disco
02-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks Shuan,and good luck with your new rcf sound system.

Excalibur
02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
It's best to follow the 3/4 rule. If you have to turn an amplifier (inc built in ones) past three quaters, then the system isn't powerful enough.
As mentioned before, when I hear about speaker problems, it always involves active ones.

I know, you would have thought there would be some form of safety cutout.

At least with Passive, despite being more reliable on a whole, If a Fire or problem occured with the amplifier, it can be changed over for another, and will not burn all the speakers.

That is ridiculous, half way is an acceptable level.

I can not believe what has happened, but I have heard that Mackie are having problems at the moment.

RCF probably are more stable.

As opposed to the rule we're all working to, which is turn the amp up to 95% and control the outpur religiously with the mixer? :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Max, you really show your ignorance with every post. I for one know my limits, and try not to display my level of ignorance too often. I must be getting away with it, cos a lot of folk think I actually know something..;) :D
Somewhere there's a thread about signal chains/gain paths , which basically says you set everything up so that it all goes red at the same time. Then you keep it green. ;) ;) That is the only safe way as far as I know.

I don't mind sharing helpful hints on here, but posts like yours really make me wonder why I bother. :( :( :(

Vectis
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
posts like yours really make me wonder why I bother

:agree:

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Actually, that isn't half way up on the 450s - it is maximum.

Skarloey
02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I decided on pair of the RFC 715a's and a pair of the 905AS bass bins. I've ordered them and they should be with me in a couple of days.

I will be very intrested to see how you get on, as these are the units I will probably go for :)

Shaun
02-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Actually, that isn't half way up on the 450s - it is maximum.

True.

One thing I've never figured out is why the knob can keep being turned up if "12 o clock" is the maximum?

Shaun
02-06-2009, 07:10 PM

I'm getting rid of all them.

-----------------

What a week I've had.

Mackie problems on Friday. Washine Machine AND microwave both die on me yesterday! 30 minutes ago I'm driving along happily in the van and hear a scraping from the rear wheel - one of the rear disc protectors has corroded and is hanging off touching the ground.

I don't think I'll bother with a lottery ticket this week.

DeckstarDeluxe
02-06-2009, 07:15 PM
These things comes in threes hey Shaun.

Just think of it like this, least now your going to have a soundsystem you can trust and focus your energies into other parts of the job.

Washine machine....misus is going to be busy :D

Microwave machine..... see above :P

Jiggles
02-06-2009, 07:16 PM
:lol: What an expensive week this has tuned out to be for you Shaun! :D

Excalibur
02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm getting rid of all them.

-----------------

What a week I've had.

Mackie problems on Friday. Washine Machine AND microwave both die on me yesterday! 30 minutes ago I'm driving along happily in the van and hear a scraping from the rear wheel - one of the rear disc protectors has corroded and is hanging off touching the ground.I don't think I'll bother with a lottery ticket this week.
Don't get me started, mate. ;) The amount of Day job gear that's just self destructed ( with a miniscule amount help from me ) I'm beginning to think should become a full time DJ, and buy some Mackie PA. It's got to be a better bet. ;) :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2009, 07:31 PM
True.

One thing I've never figured out is why the knob can keep being turned up if "12 o clock" is the maximum?

The other side is the line input side.

Twinspin
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Too late, Gary. Already ordered them. :o

Thanks though... and thanks for the call. Great chatting to you.

Nice one shaun which ones did you go for?

Shaun
02-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice one shaun which ones did you go for?

I've gone for a pair of RCF art 715's and a pair of RCF art 905's. Just the covers to source now.

Washine machine....misus is going to be busy :D

Microwave machine..... see above :P

Some good has come of it then. :d

JAMdisco
03-06-2009, 06:55 AM
I've gone for a pair of RCF art 715's and a pair of RCF art 905's. Just the covers to source now.

From a previous thread these (http://www.hotcovers.co.uk/page35.htm) are quite cheap and apparently quite good. I'll probably get some for my Class-d's fairly soon.

Good luck mate (seems you need a bit of good fortune) :)

Shaun
08-06-2009, 06:08 PM
From a previous thread these (http://www.hotcovers.co.uk/page35.htm) are quite cheap and apparently quite good. I'll probably get some for my Class-d's fairly soon.

Good luck mate (seems you need a bit of good fortune) :)

Justin, thanks for the link. I was having trouble sourcing speaker covers for the subs, everywhere else only sold the 705 sub covers. The guys on the link you provided were able to sort me out. :)

Thanks again. :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Justin, thanks for the link. I was having trouble sourcing speaker covers for the subs, everywhere else only sold the 705 sub covers. The guys on the link you provided were able to sort me out. :)

Thanks again. :beer1:

You didn't trust my judgement then? :boxer2: :D

Shaun
08-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Not at all. :)

I actually called the guy to order the 705 covers. I told him they were for the 905 subs but 705 covers would do. Although not advertised on his website, he said he had the 905 covers in stock. Result.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2009, 06:27 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :(

Shaun
08-06-2009, 06:31 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :(

That didn't come out right did it?