PDA

View Full Version : Last night - A good one...but a bit of a moan.

Shakermaker Promotions
07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

I realise that to some extent, I have been a bit of a Victor Meldrew lately. Over the last few months I seem to have noticed the negatives more than the positives. I suppose it's because I want everything to be perfect but in reality, most of the time that isn't possible is it?

Anyway, last night I was covering someone elses gig. It was a bit of a weird situation actually. Here's the background to it... About 6 weeks ago I didn't have a booking for last night..up until 2 weeks ago that was still the case so I agreed to cover a regular Disco/Karaoke night for a friend of mine as he was invited to a family wedding. There wasn't a problem with that at all. An easy night on the cards with me working from 8pm - 11.30pm (more on that in a second)...Around 2 weeks ago I had a booking come in so I took it and contacted my regular DJ who said they would cover it but would need me to set up etc etc as they were away for the day. Again, not a problem for me. This was a wedding and would be finishing later than my cover job so all should be sorted.
***Can I just add that the reason I got my regular DJ to cover the wedding was NOT because I wanted an easy night but because they have never done a karaoke night and do not have the equipment to do it either***

The gig I was covering was worth half of what I would normally get but with my slice of the other booking, it added up ok. I set up the equipment for the wedding in the morning, soundchecked etc...everything ok. Contacted my DJ telling them all was well and DJ forms etc were with the equipment. No problems whatsoever. After a few texts during the evening it seemed like they were having a great night....

My gig?...Well, I get into the place and the area that I have allocated to me is very, very tight. The place is very small too. I speak to the boss on entry and tell him I am there to cover my mate "I hope you're good!" he says.. I laughed. I set the equipment up as quick as I can. (Got there at 6.30pm for 8.00pm start and finally finished setting up at 7.45pm due to people getting in the way etc etc). The boss comes over to me and says "We're expecting 60 people but I've been told it's now 40"... "No problem" I reply. The function is for a volleyball team who have won both their leagues (Ladies and Gentlemen)...It's a fancy dress event too and the organiser (manager of the club), is dressed as Vicky Pollard from Little Britain.

Everything seemed to be going ok, people were up dancing and the karaoke requests were coming in well. The area was cramped though and I had to watch closely as I was worried people were going to bump into speakers etc.. So, not only being on edge watching that my equipment was safe but we went through almost an hour of stop/start/stop/start...because the organiser wanted to hog the mic as much as possible. I would be in the middle of a song and he would come up and say "Give us the mic mate!"..He would say a few thank you's etc etc...Then he would do an awards ceremony (2 awards which he strung out for ages by trying to be a comedian or shushing people that were talking...he became very annoying and it wasn't belong before people were shouting to get him off...his reaction??....to tell them to :Censored: which he also thought was funny). So, we get going again after that episode and then about 20 minutes later he comes up again as the buffet is being brought out...

He walks over towards me, beer in hand so I guess he is going to ask me to announce that the food is available..."Do you want me to announce that the buffet is ready?" I ask... "Give me the mic mate, I want to do it!" he shouts. "No problem" I replied..."Can you put your beer on the table please".... He turns around to me and says "Why?" really sarcastically... "Because I don't want you spilling it near all of the electrics ok" I reply and he moves to put it on the table. He then leans on the karaoke monitor and stand so I get out from behind the decks and tap him on the shoulder..."Look, I don't want to sound like a pain mate but can you not lean on the equipment" I ask nicely.... He simply looks at me up and down and stops leaning on it before going into yet another speech... to more moans and groans and "Get off!" chants from the others.

I am beginning to get a tad narked (to put it politely) with this bloke and then I notice a friend of mine walk through the door dressed as one of the Thunderbirds. He comes straight over, we shake hands and then I ask him if the organiser is always a pain in the backside...the reply was "YES!". Oh great!!

So, the night continues...some good singing on the karaoke and everyone up dancing along to the tunes I am playing. A great atmosphere to be fair and Mr 'pain in the backside' organiser has obviously been hit on the head by the alcohol monkey as he is sat slumped in a chair almost asleep whilst everyone around him is enjoying themselves. We're into the last hour so I mention over the mic "Ladies and Gentlemen, let's make this last hour a classic"...Within about 2 minutes of me saying it, I am approached by the boss. "What do you mean by last hour?"...I reply "Well, it's an 11pm finish isn't it"..."Oh no it isn't" he replies..."You're here until half eleven" and he storms off. I was told by the guy I am covering that it was an 8-11 job and I had organised to go and get my other equipment from the wedding at midnight when it finished. About 5 minutes later my mobile starts ringing and it's the guy I am covering. I couldn't answer it so I let it go to voicemail. As soon as I had the chance to listen to it I nipped outside and the message said that he was really sorry but he mucked (sp) up and it should've been 11.30pm. The boss had called him and also informed him that if I didn't play until 11.30pm, I would not get paid at the end of the night. By now I am really angry...totally wound up. I don't like being mucked about or being threatened like that.

I walk back into the venue, back behind my decks with obviously a face like thunder. A nice looking young lady says "Cheer up mate" and I laugh and just get on with it. I really don't want to be there at this moment. I then see the boss staring over at me so I put on 'Blue Monday' which gets everyone up and I make my way through them all to where he is. I explain the situation in that I was told it was 11pm finish and that I have arranged to get other equipment etc etc and he doesn't look interested at all...All he says is "Look mate, it's a great night, people are having a great time and this is my business so I need to keep them here until 11.30pm"...I reply "That's fair enough mate but this isn't my fault. I am a business too and I don't appreciate being threatened with non payment if I don't do what you say". I explained that it was an awkward situation but I would play until 11.30pm. I texted my DJ at the wedding and asked them to stay with the equipment until I got there. They agreed and all was cool. The boss was happy but I still was'nt!

I made my way back to the decks and got there just in time before 2 big blokes (they are volleyball players remember), nearly knocked over my karaoke monitor and stand. They had beers in their hands too. I had no problem whatsoever telling them to clear off away from the equipment and they looked at me as if I had told them I was going to kill them! So, we continue with the karaoke and the next singer up is brilliant. She does an excellent version of 'I'm outta love' by Anastacia and the place erupts. I play another song and then announce the next 2 singers who just happen to be (unknown to me at the time), the 2 guys I have just had a moan at. They walk up with their beers in their hands and pick up the mics. Nothing comes out of them yet as I haven't switched them on and they look at me, look at the mics etc etc... "Can you put your drinks on the table please guys" I ask them nicely...They ignore me, still trying to get the mics to work. "Excuse me, put your drinks on the table!" I say..."The mics aren't working" shouts one one them... "and they won't work until you put your drinks on the table" I shout back...They do as their told and then proceed to totally murder 'Wonderwall' by Oasis. Once they've finished singing they turn to me and both apologise!!

Last few songs of the night went really quickly. Mr 'pain in the backside' organiser comes over and asks for the mic again. He thanks everyone for turning up, thanks the venue and then goes to give me the mic back before someone shouts out "Thanks to the DJ"...he then gets back on the mic and says "Oh yeh..big thanks to the DJ"...everyone cheers and as he hands me the mic back I joke with him "Don't go over the top will you"...he laughs but you can tell he doesn't know what I am on about.

Overall a night of mixed emotions. Some people have no respect for equipment but fair do's it was cramped. Some people want to hog the mic and take as much limelight as they can which can sometimes spoil it for others. Some venue's think that they can treat you like a puppet and refuse to pay you unless you do as you're told...not always the case I'll agree. I gave out 4 business cards so all was not bad and I had some comments from some of the guests that it was a great night. Like I said at the beginning of this post...I feel like Victor Meldrew but think I have every right to be on this occasion. At the end of the day, no equipment was damaged and things that could've gone wrong didn't go wrong...(payments etc). On the way out, the 2 guys that I had a moan at came up and shook my hand and apologised again for being (their words) 'Plonkers'. The wedding went well too so that was good.

Around an hour ago I had a chat with the guy I was covering. He got the message that I wasn't happy and also apologised but he also said that the boss was happy with what I did and would have me back anytime. Would I ever go back in there? Possibly but I would still be worrying about the equipment because it was so cramped in there.

Apologies for yet another long post but I wanted to give you as much information from the night as possible so you could get the picture of how it went. I think I kept my cool as best I could.

DeckstarDeluxe
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Nothing wrong with always wanting to improve and being a perfectionist Gary!

In my experience every single pub/bar/club owner I know is just like the guy you mentioned apart from one!

Like you said the night had its bad points and you held it together. You can survive anything!

ScottThompson
07-06-2009, 05:37 PM
This has really started to worry me about my first gig, what if this happens to me and because I have no experience I won't know how to deal with this situation.

Charlie Brown
07-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Garry first of all your a legend. I firmly believe you would be in my "Top 5 posts, Charlie looks forward to." Your opinions and beliefs are very similar to mine and I like the way you handle different situations. You take the time to write lengthy threads which are a pleasure to read....so first of all, Thank you:)

I think you handled the gig very well. I would have been dubious and possibly threatened by some of the players, and being a "kid" you can't be as firm, unless you want to make a fool of yourself. I'm glad it turned out to be an ok night, but I guess even at your age and with the level of experience you have, it's all a learning curve :approve: :)

Shakermaker Promotions
07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi Scott, This post isn't meant to put the frighteners up you mate and apologies if it has. It's all part of learning. Nothing will ever be easy in this job as we deal with the public and they are unpredictable at the best of times but add alcohol to it and well....

It all comes with experience and it's all a learning curve. When I started out there weren't any forums like this to seek advice from etc etc...Just get in there at the deep end and learn as you go. It isn't scary at all and once you learn how to deal with it and read the situations then you'll be cool.

Shaun
07-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Never apologise for the long posts. It's refreshing to see things posted in detail rather than one sentence answers (of which I'm guilty).

Sounds like your equipment got a lucky escape with things being as cramped as they were. The boss sounds like a buffoon, if you ever cover for your mate there again remembe to get paid before you start.

Glad it all worked out in the end. :)

Charlie Brown
It all comes with experience and it's all a learning curve.

That is so weird. Exactly what I said to you. There must have been a 15 second delay in posts. :eek: :)

DeckstarDeluxe
This has really started to worry me about my first gig, what if this happens to me and because I have no experience I won't know how to deal with this situation.

Just be firm, clear and bite your tongue.

In all fairness its rare for these things to happean

Shakermaker Promotions
07-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks Charlie...that was nice of you (until you came up with the classic "Even at your age"...that was funny).

Yes, every week is a learning curve. No night is ever the same as the one before and that will always be the case which I guess is part of the charm of doing what we do. I also firmly believe that you DO need to be able to read a situation properly. I think I am good at that as I have dealt with the public for years either doing this or face to face customer services. Some people you know you can have a joke with and others you can't. Some people you can talk firmly to and know that they will listen and take it on board. Others you can't because you know they will take it the wrong way and in those cases you have to just bite your tongue, watch the clock and just be thankful when it's all over.

ScottThompson
07-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Scott, This post isn't meant to put the frighteners up you mate and apologies if it has. It's all part of learning. Nothing will ever be easy in this job as we deal with the public and they are unpredictable at the best of times but add alcohol to it and well....

It all comes with experience and it's all a learning curve. When I started out there weren't any forums like this to seek advice from etc etc...Just get in there at the deep end and learn as you go. It isn't scary at all and once you learn how to deal with it and read the situations then you'll be cool.

Thats OK, I always enjoy reading your posts as Charlie has stated they are enjoyable to read and you pick up many tricks how to handle a situation for instance in your case with "the pain in the backside" bloke. I suppose the reason they were all as ratty as they were is because the were under the influence of drinking alcohol. The problem I will have is approaching fully grown men and take a mature attitude to the situation while trying to safe guard myself, I just don't think I will have the confidence to approach them personally.

Shakermaker Promotions
07-06-2009, 05:55 PM
At the end of the day Scott. You seem mature enough to be able to deal with it. I personally think that most people will appreciate your position and also the fact that (not meaning to generalise all people your age), you aren't hanging around street corners in a gang being a pain in the backside either. If you use your maturity when communicating with 'grown men' then I don't think you'll have a problem. You can also minimalise the threat by not putting yourself in certain places. Pub work is more likely to have the same kind of circumstances as I endured last night.

ScottThompson
07-06-2009, 05:59 PM
At the end of the day Scott. You seem mature enough to be able to deal with it. I personally think that most people will appreciate your position and also the fact that (not meaning to generalise all people your age), you aren't hanging around street corners in a gang being a pain in the backside either. If you use your maturity when communicating with 'grown men' then I don't think you'll have a problem. You can also minimalise the threat by not putting yourself in certain places. Pub work is more likely to have the same kind of circumstances as I endured last night.

OK! Thanks mate. :) but overall the gig went "OK-ish?"

Jiggles
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Nothing beats a good rant! Gets it off your chest and makes you feel better. Alcohol has a lot to answer for!

JDB Entertainment
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
As elite has already mentioned 1 problem you could have solved was said "Payment in advance"

I know it was not your gig, but you could have arranged your mate to speak to the manager and arrange this. Especially if payment before you start is part of your Terms & Conditions.

James

SC Events
08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Gary - :youdaman: lol

Even though I'm 18, in that situation, I don't think anyone would have listened to me as they would probably just see me as a 'kid'

Anyway all I can say is 'Plaaaayed' lol. :D :D :D

JAMdisco
08-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Even though I'm 18, in that situation, I don't think anyone would have listened to me as they would probably just see me as a 'kid'

It's amazing how many people listen when you turn the music / mics off. I once had 2 massive guys dancing with their girlfriends far too close to my gear once (long time ago at an old residency).

They bumped the stand a couple of times each to a tap on the shoulder and a move away gesture from me. They pretty much ignored me and were getting closer and more boystrous [sp?] so I just killed the music dead and sternly told them to move away from the gear or the music stays off.

From the look they gave me I thought they were going to jump over the stand and kill me :( . I just stood my ground staring back at them and they then moved away, the music went back on and all was fine. I was bricking it though, luckily I think their girlfriends weren't as intoxicated as them and kind of persuaded them to move back, they also apologised for them.

Shakermaker Promotions
08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
I had a message this morning via Facebook from a friend of mine who was there on saturday night. He said that everyone had a great time and mentioned that they may want me for their christmas knees up.

Don't get me wrong, it's not nice having to get a bit 'stern' with people that are trying to have a good time BUT (with a capital 'B'), to them it's a night out with lots of booze and dancing and the more booze that they get down their necks, the more relaxed they get and sometimes the more of a pain in the backside they become. I work hard to pay for my equipment just like everyone else and I like to look after it. I don't appreciate it when people bump into it or ignore me when I tell them to move away or put a drink down out the way of the equipment. It's almost as if they don't take you seriously and that angers me sometimes. I guess we all get like that sometimes and some of us handle it differently.

Last year at a christmas party midweek at my hotel residency, I had one guy that was possibly the worst for bumping into my equipment that I have ever experienced. It got to the point where I had to seriously think about the music that I was playing. I know that will sound silly but I wanted to try and stop them jumping up and down in a huddle for fear of clattering into me. Someone asked for 'Chelsea Dagger' and I thought "No way, that's asking for trouble" so I left it a while before playing it. Still the guy continued to bump into my equipment and even after 3 or 4 warnings and being ignored, he still continued to do it so in the end I 'tapped' him on the shoulder and signalled for him to come over to me. He came round behind the decks and I said (politely) "Excuse me mate but can you stop bumping into my equipment because it's not on"...he stood there said sorry but with a grin on his face. I then lost it and was quite un-professional which I am not proud of...I swore at him and told him to watch himself. He looked totally surprised at this and went back to his mates shaking his head. Within seconds I realised what I had done and the possible comeback from it...(I wasn't bothered about him retaliating at all, I was worried about any complaints made), so I went over to him again and tapped him on the shoulder again. He turned around and said "Look, I'm nowhere near your gear now!!"...I said to him "I want to apologise to you for the way I spoke to you, it wasn't on and I am sorry" I shook his hand and after that everything was fine and the night was great. The feedback to the hotel was great too.

Another time (sorry), I was doing a karaoke at my local. The pub know that I arrive around 7pm to set up for an 8pm start so they move the pool table out of the way to make space for me. On this particular occasion I walked in at about 7.10pm and the pub was quite busy. The pool table was still there and there were two blokes playing. When I saw the table hadn't been moved I went into instant negative mood and got the hump. I asked the guys playing (politely again) if they could make it their last game as I needed to set up. They both looked at me and laughed.... Now, I know everyone at the pub and 99.9% of the people there are cool but I didn't know these 2 guys. I was just getting the last of the gear in, ready to set up when they finished and I noticed that one of them had put another £1 in and was ready to rack up again. "What did I just say to you?" I shouted and I was ignored....so I went over to the table and took the white cue ball off the table, called one of the staff and gave it to them and asked for a £1 coin. I gave it to the guy who had racked up and said "Sorry mate but I did tell you I needed to set up".

Let's just say that neither of them were happy but a friend of mine was standing by and when one of them got a bit aggressive, he had a word in the ear and they soon left. Again, I don't like doing it but sometimes you have to. I was like that because it was my local and I know everyone. I wouldn't do it elsewhere unless I could work out the situation and that comes with experience. I've been to some places in the past where it has been best to just keep your mouth shut....needless to say, I choose not to go back to those places.

DeckstarDeluxe
08-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Gary - :youdaman: lol

Anyway all I can say is 'Plaaaayed' lol. :D :D :D

Im sorry but if you think that people will see you as a kid then they are going to treat you like one. If you take an professional approach and do and say things in a similar way then people will change their minds. Ive done plenty of gigs for older people and often at the end the clients come over and say thank you and mention they were slighty worried that I would be playing "youth" music all night. Ive also had older people come up to my at gigs and ask for songs which I replied yes I have it and I will play it for you in which case they look almost shocked and say something like "How do you know that song your just a baby".

Back on topic.

Fair play to you gary regarding the chap you swore it. It takes alot of balls to not only admit to yourself you made an mistake in the heat of the moment but even more so when you make the effort to walk over and say so to the chap in question.

Shakermaker Promotions
08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I felt like it was the right thing to do at the time and he appreciated it too. I have no problem doing it either.