PDA

View Full Version : Starting up again

Dynamic Entertainment
12-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Im considering setting up the karaoke again (after saying i never would), but doing it a bit different, as in, instead of having the disco with a karaoke add-on, do a whole karaoke package, which includes a "stage" area with par cans iluminatung the singer, etc etc, and having a nasic disco, to fill the gaps in.

In the past it was done with CD+G discs and a karaoke machine (which i flogged) so in order to start it up im going to need everything.

Im thinking that the best way forward is a laptop based system so whats the best/easiest one to use? Ill still have serato on a seperate laptop for the inbetween disco bits.

Also, is there anywhere (legally) to downlaod MP3+G files, or do i have to buy the discs still (if so which ones, and where will bulk out a respecatble collection, affordably?), and how do you rip the audio and graphics sucessfully?

Thanks

Steve

Cj_The_Dj
12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I am unsure if you can download Cd+G's but i would recommend Sunfly.

Also, if you want to go down the laptop route have a it looks at Pcdj-KJ look good. I believe even virtual DJ is good.

Spirits High
12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Also, if you want to go down the laptop route have a it looks at Pcdj-KJ look good. I believe even virtual DJ is good.

On the few occasions I do karaoke I use PCKJ and it does the job nicely. If you are going to use that one word of advice.....leave the kamikaze button alone :eek:

Not used Virtual so can't comment on that one ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
So im guessing that PCKJ is an add-on to PCDJ, or is it its own dedicated program?

Cj_The_Dj
12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
So im guessing that PCKJ is an add-on to PCDJ, or is it its own dedicated program?

Both (http://pcdj.co.uk/shop-product-details.asp?ContentID=11)

SC Events
13-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I now offer Karaoke and use Virtual DJ as I can use this to do the disco and for Karaoke and is very good.

In the past I have used PCKJ and thought it was OK, but much prefer Virtual DJ.

Dynamic Entertainment
13-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Is VDJ KJ available on its own, or is that a plug in?

I alos found this website, looks legit, what do you guys think: http://www.karaoke.cc/pages/site-content/about-us.aspx

SC Events
13-06-2009, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=DiscoSteve;349364]Is VDJ KJ available on its own, or is that a plug in?

Virtual DJ comes with the Karaoke plug-ins, so it's all one program. All you have to do is set it to the 'Full Video' skin.

Dynamic Entertainment
13-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Right then, im gonna go with virtual dj on the back of whats been said, and the replies on the Karaoke Software thread.

Now where to get the files.........

How do you rip a CD+G into an MP3+G?

DazzyD
17-06-2009, 02:02 PM
This is my area!

First of all, you need a CD+G compatible drive and there aren't too many around. You can run a disc info program (can't remember what it is called but I'll find out for you) which shows all the formats your drive is compatible with.

Once you've established your drive can read CD+Gs, you need some software. I'd highly recommend CDGRipper from Tricerasoft as it's the easiest program to use for doing this. Read all the instructions, insert your CD+G, select the tracks you want and click the RIP/START (can't remember what it's called!) button and away you go.

As for downloading CD+G tracks in MP3+G format legally, well the answer is yes you can. See here:

http://www.karaoke.cc/default.aspx

This site is the legal way to download single karaoke tracks in MP3+G . It's UK-based so complies with UK Copyright law (royalties payments are made to MCPS - see the FAQ section). The two main restrictions are the tracks are not licensed for burning to disc (if you're playing from a PC there's no problem there) and the only brand you can download is Zoom karaoke (though, imo, Zoom are a fairly decent karaoke brand often overlooked for the likes of Sunfly).

Hope this helps!

deltic
17-06-2009, 03:26 PM
does vdj play zipped karaoke files i know both pcdj and karma karaoke do
used both for karaoke before i went totally mac

SC Events
17-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, Virtual DJ will play Zipped Karaoke tracks

Dynamic Entertainment
17-06-2009, 08:49 PM
This is my area!

First of all, you need a CD+G compatible drive and there aren't too many around. You can run a disc info program (can't remember what it is called but I'll find out for you) which shows all the formats your drive is compatible with.

Once you've established your drive can read CD+Gs, you need some software. I'd highly recommend CDGRipper from Tricerasoft as it's the easiest program to use for doing this. Read all the instructions, insert your CD+G, select the tracks you want and click the RIP/START (can't remember what it's called!) button and away you go.

As for downloading CD+G tracks in MP3+G format legally, well the answer is yes you can. See here:

http://www.karaoke.cc/default.aspx

This site is the legal way to download single karaoke tracks in MP3+G . It's UK-based so complies with UK Copyright law (royalties payments are made to MCPS - see the FAQ section). The two main restrictions are the tracks are not licensed for burning to disc (if you're playing from a PC there's no problem there) and the only brand you can download is Zoom karaoke (though, imo, Zoom are a fairly decent karaoke brand often overlooked for the likes of Sunfly).

Hope this helps!

Cheers Daz, that helps loads. i was waiting for someone to say they had used Zoom and it was ok as i came across karaoke.cc

I think ill stick completely digital when i set up, and but a started set of cds (for if the main system dies). :)

Sarahjovi
18-06-2009, 09:30 AM
This is my area!

the only brand you can download is Zoom karaoke (though, imo, Zoom are a fairly decent karaoke brand often overlooked for the likes of Sunfly).

Hope this helps!

Hi

You can also download from SBI http://www.sbikaraoke.com/ They're associated with The Mr Entertainer Brand.
And they do Video Karaoke too! (Videos behind the lyrics).

Sarah:D

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Cheers Sarah. Looks good :)

DazzyD
18-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Nice one, Sarah!

I've seen SBI mentioned on Custom-Burn sites before but I'd never heard of them. In fact, at first I got them mixed up with Sweet Georgia Brown (again, a good brand but their library is largely US/Canada based).

I've always championed the MRE brand so I shall be looking at the site soon!

Also, I've just noticed that Swift Elite 4 comes with a MP3+G database where you can download the tracks for $1,99 each. However, this library looks very limited at present.