PDA

View Full Version : mic feedback

markdj60
22-06-2009, 10:42 PM
hi just a quick question is there anything i can hook up to my system to stop feedback from my mics apart from the behringer feedback destroyer?

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 10:46 PM
What mic is it Marc?

markdj60
22-06-2009, 10:55 PM
only a pro sound twin cordless

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Cheaper mics have a habit of feeding back.

ppentertainments
22-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Sound silly, but try pointing your speakers away slightly. I would avoid the feedback eliminator. I borrowed one for a couple of gigs, granted it was karaoke, but what happens is it cuts out the frequency causing the feedback. If this is the frequency you talk / sing at, it will cut you out.

I don't know if I done right, but on my cheap cordless mics (think they are older prosound ones rebadged), I turned the squelch (sq) on the back right down which helped without any effect to the usage.

markdj60
22-06-2009, 11:20 PM
my mate is using the same ones and you can walk right near the speakers so god knows what his trick is lol.

DiscoPromotions
23-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Feedback can be caused by number of factors from the equipment been used to the room environment. But let's forget the science for a the moment and look at what can be done.

Gain: If the desk you are using has Gain control and it is set more 3/4 but mic faders are only going up 1/4 of way; then reduce amount of gain and increase your fader to 0 mark.

EQ: Check your EQ on the channel that is being are use. If there is a lot of top end or to much bottom end will introduce feedback. If there is to much bottom end you will ear it building up for the feedback. If you do not know ear it building up and straight feedback then there is much top end.

Headphones: Make sure your headphone volume level is low when using a mic. As high frequencies can travel further and is more reflective; having a high headphone level will introduce feedback.

This is pain in the backside for me when artists using in-ear monitors (another story)

Hardware: Save money not buying expensive hardware to stop feedback (my personal experience they do not work). £40 2nd hand limiter (usually built with compressors) is the best tool to have. (Example Aelesis 3630).

The compressors are good if the person using the mic says different words loud or quiet; but the limiter is the best tool I use which I set at the required level with a soft attack. This means is during sound check I will have the limiter cut off the sound when it reaches certain threshold and use the soft attack to ensure it does not sound like a broken lead.

Have fun!

JP

DeckstarDeluxe
23-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Im not sure how much effect this has but I had a wireless gemini mic (not sure of model but it was 170 quid) and used it first time sunday night. Walked in front of speakers and not a thing.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Im not sure how much effect this has but I had a wireless gemini mic (not sure of model but it was 170 quid) and used it first time sunday night. Walked in front of speakers and not a thing.

And what about when you turned the mixer and amp on? :p

DazzyD
23-06-2009, 02:06 PM
And what about when you turned the mixer and amp on? :p

:lol:

Do you have any sfx on the mix channels? Echo/reverb effects can increase the effect of feedback.

Otherwise the comments from JP above are pretty good especially the one about lowering the gains as this often helps solve feedback problems.

Also, try to keep mics above waist height. I've found feedback happening if I hold the mic in my hand and let me arm hang down (dunno if this is just me, tho!).

Anyone who can walk directly in front of the speaker with the mic and not get feedback is either really lucky, has exceptional feedback squelch or has forgotten to turn the amp on!

markdj60
23-06-2009, 07:30 PM
thanks for the feedback guys i will try what you said on sat night.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-06-2009, 10:14 PM
thanks for the feedback guys .

Pun intended? :D