PDA

View Full Version : Still Can NOT get my head round DMX ;(

kmssounds
26-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I've have asked a few questions on how tocontrol moving heads, I am now getting to the point where I have completly lost myself!

I have downloaded the daslight program which is probably the most complicated program I have ever used, either that or I am completly FICK!

I think I might just go down the road of getting a control desk for the time being to get me by! Now for some more questions!

I will have four Mac 250+ lights or sometimes two. I want a controller I can just plug into them and the switch on and start working, all I really want is a few different scenes to put on, some slow, some fast, some strobe and the like? I normally DJ on my own so won't have that much time to be messing about.

Please let me know what I should go for? If you have a link for one on ebay or even have one cheap for sale please let me know! I live near Leeds!

Remember please explain in detail as I am a DJ not a lighting kind of guy! Im also slow lol! Thanks for reading!:bang: :bang: :bang:

Vectis
26-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Daslight is the answer.

It's not the easiest piece of software to get your head around if you're not already familiar with DMX programming on a traditional desk, granted.

Have you looked at the abundance of tutorials on YouTube? That's how I got started with it and it soon falls into place. The scene generator will do exactly as you describe above and the 3D visualiser will at least give you a basic idea of what's going on without hooking the actual units up.

WWDJ
26-06-2009, 09:49 AM
something like this would do the job
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Showtec-dmx-controller_W0QQitemZ170345419831QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_ConElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item27a960 d437&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1690%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Make like easier for yourself by setting 2 MACs to the same channel, then reverse the Pan on one of the units (in the settings on the actual unit). That way you get a symmetrical show but only have to do the settings for 1 head. You could theoretically run 4 heads on one channel with 2 reversed if you want and then as you gradually get better with DMX you could move the channels and do some more fancy stuff.

Personally I prefer something hands on rather than a laptop, but that's just me which i why I would recommend a controller.

kmssounds
26-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Isnt there something you can just plug into the lights and bam they all start singing and dancing?

Just something very simple! The daslight is proper blagging me!

OllieJames
26-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Isnt there something you can just plug into the lights and bam they all start singing and dancing?

Just something very simple! The daslight is proper blagging me!

Don't they have built in programs?

kmssounds
26-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Do they?

So I can plug my lights into any controller and they will start moving?

OllieJames
26-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Right...

If you have a DMX controller you HAVE to make the scenes/programs yourself. Every DMX fixture (as far as i'm aware) has it's own built in programs. So if you plug all 4 together via DMX cables, they will run master/slave doing their own thing. If you want to be able to tell them to strobe at a certain point or change to a certain colour for something - you'll need a controller, of which you'll have to make the scenes yourself.

kmssounds
26-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I think the Macs are not plug and play and will only switch on test mode. So will need a controller. Im just gona have to buy a contoller and mess about with it and hope for the best!

Im a cheap skate you see so dont really like spending! £100 on a controller now! DAMNNN!!!

WWDJ
26-06-2009, 11:03 AM
According to the DMX schema the MACs have some macros which help you get up and running quicker. I have these on my EFX500s.
NOTE: This doesn't means that you don't have to use a controller (or use Daslight), it just makes it easier as you can use one fader to get to that macro.

Controllers usually go for £50 upwards on ebay. You need to spend a little bit more as your controller will need up to 16 channels per fixture as you are using MACs as opposed to scanners or moonflowers.

DMX really isn't / shouldn't be that difficult. Think of it as 'stop go animation' ... like morph, or that ruddy Wallace and Grommet.
1. Play with lights using controller until you find a position / pattern you like
2. Press Record to mark that scene
3. Change positions / patterns
4. Press Record again
5, Repeat until you've had enough
6. Playback programme

I have LED Bars / Scanners and Barrels and I can programme several scenes and chases in a couple of hours (at most) on an evening in the 'garage'

Pe7e
26-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I think the Macs are not plug and play and will only switch on test mode. So will need a controller. Im just gona have to buy a contoller and mess about with it and hope for the best!

Im a cheap skate you see so dont really like spending! £100 on a controller now! DAMNNN!!!

You need to have a controller to use the macs, there's a nice Martin Freakie for sale HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150354373129) you might get it for £150 - 175 if you're lucky, and they come with a start up guide on DVD (it's not mine by the way)

kmssounds
26-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I think im just gona have to buy one and worry about programming it later!

Might hire a fatfrog one and see how it works?

Starlight
08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
bam they all start singing and dancing

I didn't think disco lights could sing or dance :confused: :p :D

Neil.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Im lost. Your not happy using daslight, which lays everything out like a computer game, but can use a fader style controller. Ive found the fader controllers even more had work tbh.

DeckstarDeluxe
09-07-2009, 12:03 AM
in all fairness i did look at software based ways of controlling my lights and I couldnt really get into it. I used a acme control desk http://www.rs100.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=404 . As its all acme (including the lights) its easier to control and create scenes. I personally prefer a hands on way of controlling the lights leaving my laptop to serve as a backup play out device

kmssounds
09-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I borrowed a control desk to set the lights, I made a few scenes then made a chase for them. I only had the controller for a day so did not have enough time with it to make anything decent!

but daslight, i just get my head round it, gona have another play tonight and see if i can make any sense of it!