PDA

View Full Version : G-Clamp Datamoon

Mark Wild
29-06-2009, 02:58 PM
O.k I feel I'm risking a stupidity award here but, I use ultimax G-Glamps for my rig, when I fit my scanners to the gantry I hook the scanners bracket over the g-clamp so the g-clamp takes the weight and then I feed the nut through and tighten it. Now the datamoons bracket is so wide I'm unable to do it the same way, so the datamoon would have to go underneath so the bolt would be taking all the datamoons weight? I'm really not sure if that makes sense (it does to me I think lol) Anyone using or has in the past used datamoons on g-clamps maybe shine a little light on this predicament for me?

Thanks in advance :D

Vectis
29-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I know EXACTLY what you mean ;)

I do indeed hang the datamoon from the bolt, as it were, but always use a large washer to give that little extra safety AND a safety chain too. Never had a problem in the god-knows-how-many-years I've used my moons.

Mark Wild
29-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I know EXACTLY what you mean ;)

I do indeed hang the datamoon from the bolt, as it were, but always use a large washer to give that little extra safety AND a safety chain too. Never had a problem in the god-knows-how-many-years I've used my moons.

That's a relief, thought I was missing a trick for sure. Larger washer and safety chain it is then. Thanks VV :beer1:

WWDJ
29-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Generally I do the same as you, under the bracket, that way if the bolt comes off then it is still safe.

Have I ever had a bolt come lose though ... nope.

DJ Jules
29-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Generally I do the same as you, under the bracket, that way if the bolt comes off then it is still safe.

Have I ever had a bolt come lose though ... nope.

I was wondering about the possibility of that last night, since I managed to shake a male DMX cable (without locking tab) out of a socket during a 3hr show...

Julian

Chris1984
29-06-2009, 08:39 PM
all my gear is hung on the bolt with a washer.
when you look at the pro gear its all in the bolts. We hang 50kg vl3500 mov ers on the bolt as that is the way the brackets work.
Always use a safety no mater what on event light!

The bol is always stronger than the hook clamp!

OllieJames
29-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I always hang my lights from the bolts, not resting on the bottom of the clamp.

Mark Wild
29-06-2009, 10:26 PM
The bolt is always stronger than the hook clamp!

I always hang my lights from the bolts, not resting on the bottom of the clamp.

Can you explain why?

If the light bracket (unlike the datamoon) allows me to disperse the weight onto the g-clamp first, I bolt it once it's hooked on top. I might be being a bit thick here :p

Jiggles
29-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Can you explain why?

If the light bracket (unlike the datamoon) allows me to disperse the weight onto the g-clamp first, I bolt it once it's hooked on top. I might be being a bit thick here :p

If the bolt fails then its still going to hurt someone no matter what way you have it.

Vectis
29-06-2009, 10:37 PM
If the bolt fails then its still going to hurt someone no matter what way you have it.

Errr.... no.

If the unit is hung as per the OP's description, except for the datamoon which physically can't be, then the bolt is very most unlikely to ever fail as it's not holding any weight in itself - all of the weight is transferred to the actual clamp. The bolt is simply fastening the effect's bracket to the G-clamp.

If the effect is hung below the clamp, per Ollie, then the weight of the effect is hanging from the thread of the bolt.

The latter is fine when you have 50Kg clamps and a 1Kg Nebula (let's say) but if you have 25Kg clamps with 20Kg lumps of datamoon (I've not weighed them but they're heavy ;) ) then you're running an increased risk of bolt (and/or clamp) failure.

Surely it's best practice to use the former (OP's) method? That's what I do anyway. THEN ADD SAFETY WIRES.

Mark Wild
29-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Don't be daft

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Datamoons are 8Kg.

Edit - just found a place that says they are 11 Kg...

Perhaps it's the T4s that are 8Kg...

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-06-2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.djsupplies.co.uk/njd-datamoon-88-p.asp

They say 8 Kg...

Mark Wild
29-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Errr.... no.

If the unit is hung as per the OP's description, except for the datamoon which physically can't be, then the bolt is very most unlikely to ever fail as it's not holding any weight in itself - all of the weight is transferred to the actual clamp. The bolt is simply fastening the effect's bracket to the G-clamp.

If the effect is hung below the clamp, per Ollie, then the weight of the effect is hanging from the thread of the bolt.

The latter is fine when you have 50Kg clamps and a 1Kg Nebula (let's say) but if you have 25Kg clamps with 20Kg lumps of datamoon (I've not weighed them but they're heavy ;) ) then you're running an increased risk of bolt (and/or clamp) failure.

Surely it's best practice to use the former (OP's) method? That's what I do anyway. THEN ADD SAFETY WIRES.

LOL thanks :beer1: :D

Vectis
29-06-2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.djsupplies.co.uk/njd-datamoon-88-p.asp

They say 8 Kg...

Datamoons are 8Kg.

Edit - just found a place that says they are 11 Kg...

Perhaps it's the T4s that are 8Kg...

Whatever... I'm inclined to believe 11Kg but that wasn't the point :devil:

Paintbrush to the rescue...

Mark Wild
29-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Weird how some people would think hanging it underneath solely on the bolts thread is best practice.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Whatever... I'm inclined to believe 11Kg but that wasn't the point :devil:

Well it was the point as you said they were 20 Kg...

Mine definitely weren't 11Kg as I used other effects which are 12Kg and they are much heavier than the Datamoons.

They haven't changed any of the guts have they, since they moved production from India to China?

charlie
30-06-2009, 02:58 PM
If you hang your lights on top of the clamp then how are you supposed to focus them? You wont be able to twist the fixture left or right?

I think you will find common practice for all event companies and theatres is that you attach the fixture to the bottom of the clamp with a bolt then use the correctly rated saftey bond.

Chris1984
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Very well put Charlie.

I am yet to see kit that is hung on top of the clamp.
At the end of the day we never hang lights without the correct saftey bond rond them and the bar.

Mark Wild
01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm very new to being mobile and rigging everything myself, but I just thought the support of the clamp would make it that little bit more secure. :)

Chris1984
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
As mentioned you cant focus a light if rigged on top of the clamp.
Also what holds the bracket to the fixture?? - bolts

it is perfectly safe and some may say the way it was designed to hang the light under the clamp using the correct bolt.
I am yet to see a bolt fail! (see pic for inspiration!)http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs088.snc1/4622_1074887712547_1236813350_30195746_5305200_n.j pg