PDA

View Full Version : Play out systems

Mayhem 1
03-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Gentlemen:

Question to those of you who use a laptop to play your tunes.

Do you use 1 or 2 laptops running your chosen playout system?

OllieJames
03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm just about to go digital, and i'll be using one computer.

Dynamic Entertainment
03-07-2009, 10:30 AM
One lappy, running Serato Scratch Live. It basically turns your lappy into a twin deck playout, and using the external box (basically sound card) sends the "left" deck to one set of rca leads and the "right" deck to a nothe set, so you can plug into 2 seperate mixer channels. :)

Mayhem 1
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Many thanks for that info Steve mate :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2009, 04:15 PM
One, but also use the HD2500 as main playout and have a backup lappy too.

Excalibur
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
One, but also use the HD2500 as main playout and have a backup lappy too.

Well, one, but it's additional to a brace of Cortex. As a DJ of very little brain, and hard wired habits, I can't work without four tracks lined up. I don't really use the laptop for playout, more for inspiration, checking on here, and downloading tracks.

DJ Jules
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, one, but it's additional to a brace of Cortex. As a DJ of very little brain, and hard wired habits, I can't work without four tracks lined up. I don't really use the laptop for playout, more for inspiration, checking on here, and downloading tracks.

I started off with a laptop and tried connecting it to a variety of hardware (Numark TotalControl, Hercules MK2 & Behringer BCD) with a mix of software (VirtualDJ, PCDJ & Traktor) and could never get a stable set up which would make it through a gig without dying on me (incidentally the Hercules and BCD boxes both contain "sound cards" to give a pair of stereo channels for connecting your live output and your headphones).

I suspect this was probably because my laptop either wasn't up to the job, or had some software on it which was causing the USB bus to drop out occasionally and when I looked at buying a new box for the job it worked out cheaper, lighter and easier to buy a Cortex instead.

So now I use a Cortex as my main play out rig and take the laptop out as Excalibur does, for backup, for downloading tracks, for holding the client's playlist and for inspiration (as something the Cortex doesn't do well is allow you to browse easily through the 15,000 tracks it can hold and it's kind of clunky when it comes to managing playlists too).

Just my 2p's worth.

Julian

Mayhem 1
06-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Many thanks for the imput gentlemen :beer1:

I think further investigation is required.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Gary

If you want to pop over and visit me, I can show you various playout/playback systems.

Excalibur
06-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Gary

If you want to pop over and visit me, I can show you various playout/playback systems.

There's a witty reply to that, but advising Gary to conveniently forget to leave all forms of financial recompense to Mr Thomas well away from the danger zone which is Darren's lair before viewing his wares could possibly be construed as offensive by anyone who wasn't aware of history, levity, and possibility. ;) :D :D

( And suggesting that Darren could sell sand to the Arabs and snow to the Inuit, while probably completely true, are grossly offensive, and you will never see me post anything like that on here. )