PDA

View Full Version : Wedding from Kuwait!

Jonny Boy
09-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Noticed the other week on my web tracker I'd had a few hits on the site from Kuwait...and not the usual overseas ones where they're just looking for images.

Anyway, on Tuesday got an email from a young lady working there who is getting married over here this Novem to her Kuwaiti boyfriend eber. The package they requested/venue escalated the cost a lot so I never expected top hear back.

She also asked for Arab music, so I suggested they supply a compilation as I'd have no idea what would be good or not*. I also expected this to count against me - - either way she almost bit my arm off to secure the date, sending 3 email in 2 days asking I hold the date and how does she pay! :D

*ASIDE - would you have done the same here or researched and found your own "ethnic" music?

THEN I got a phone call on the mobile last night from her friend. It turns out money transfers from Kuwait are notoriously difficult, so her friend, who also originates from S. Wales, is coming back from Kuwait next week and will pay me the deposit in cash, so the date is secured.

So we will probably do most of the arrangement via email. I think Kuwait is only 2 hours ahead of GMT, so if she can supply a number I MIGHT be able to ring to speak with her (which I normally do with all clients)...although the expense of the call/poor line and chance of miscommunication is daunting.

But it just struck me how amazing google is: I don't pay for adwords or anything!

Has anyone else done work for brides based overseas? How did you deal with the process? How did you handle requests for music you were unlikely to have/not have access to procure via usual means?

TonyB
09-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Done a couple of reception parties in the UK where the couples lived abroad and got married abroad. One couple from the Caribbean, Groom was English and his parents who live local to me paid for everything. The other couple were from Cyprus, bride was English. Paid deposit by Paypal and balance on the night.

Communicated with both couples using MSN using a webcam.

Edit! Music for the Cyprus couple was nothing from the norm. The Carribean couple supplied some CD's with a list of tracks that they wanted to be played

Jiggles
09-07-2009, 09:31 AM
So we will probably do most of the arrangement via email. I think Kuwait is only 2 hours ahead of GMT, so if she can supply a number I MIGHT be able to ring to speak with her (which I normally do with all clients)...although the expense of the call/poor line and chance of miscommunication is daunting.

Skype?

Tony Scott
09-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I've done 4 Weddings in the last 2 years from clients who live in Australia, in all cases I used email and never spoke to the clients until the day of the wedding.

All deposits were done by Bank transfer with cash on the day for the balances....worked very well.

Here's some feedback from the most recent:

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 08:04:16
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Thanks!

Hi Tony,

Hope you are well.

Just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU for playing at our wedding reception - you are without doubt the BEST DJ ever!!! We would have danced until 5am if we could have..every one of our guests raved about you, your set up/equipment was fantastic!!!

Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did - I hope we weren't too rowdy!!!

Many Thanks
Jen

Awesome night! :)

Vectis
09-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Has anyone else done work for brides based overseas? How did you deal with the process? How did you handle requests for music you were unlikely to have/not have access to procure via usual means?

Quite a few. I'm going through the process just now with a bride based in Hong Kong but over the past couple of years have worked with couples in several European countries, the Americas and a Kiwi. Usually there's some tie back to the IoW, such as family. Add to this the fact that about half of my weddings are for folks from The North Island and I'm well practiced at distance prepping.

Email and Skype / Google Chat are my preferred contact methods but telephones do work quite well in other countries you know! :D

As for music? Easy. Online requests. Payments? PayPal in the majority of cases, or bank transfers. Occasionally whoever the relative is will send a cheque or pop round with some wonga in an envelope ;)

SC Events
09-07-2009, 10:53 PM
A bit off topic,

My Dad had lived in England for 44 years before emigrating to Canada 3 years ago, yet, when he wanted to come back here last year to get married to my step-mom, the immigration people said he couldn't as he was no longer an English Citizen!

If my dad couldn't get married in England, even though he was born and bred here, how do these 'foreigners' manage to do it?

DeckstarDeluxe
09-07-2009, 10:58 PM
A bit off topic,

My Dad had lived in England for 44 years before emigrating to Canada 3 years ago, yet, when he wanted to come back here last year to get married to my step-mom, the immigration people said he couldn't as he was no longer an English Citizen!

If my dad couldn't get married in England, even though he was born and bred here, how do these 'foreigners' manage to do it?

Sorry I do happean to be quite up on immigration as I held a green card in the USA for a few years. Your dad was born in england then they wouldnt refuse him just on that basis. You have to be in canada for a i Belive 7 years before you can apply for citizenship.....Unless he married an canadian national but clearly thats not the case here.

Spirits High
09-07-2009, 11:04 PM
A bit off topic,

Don't think you've got it from the horses mouth there and slightly dodgy :eek:

Sorry I do happen to be quite up on immigration as I held a green card in the USA for a few years. Your dad was born in england then they wouldnt refuse him just on that basis. You have to be in canada for a i Belive 7 years before you can apply for citizenship.....Unless he married an canadian national but clearly thats not the case here.

Am in slight agreement, my partners parents emigrated to Canada just under 3 years ago. They have since split up but my partners Dad is still there and has to be out there 36 months out of 60 month period to become a Canadian citizen.

But then again who want's to be Canadian :D

SC Events
09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Sorry I do happean to be quite up on immigration as I held a green card in the USA for a few years. Your dad was born in england then they wouldnt refuse him just on that basis. You have to be in canada for a i Belive 7 years before you can apply for citizenship.....Unless he married an canadian national but clearly thats not the case here.

My Dad was offered a job and the company paid for him to move out there. He was living there on a work permit with my little brother and my step-mom (who is also English)

My Dad's permanent Citizen papers came through 2 weeks ago and because I am under 21, I am on them also.

You have to live in Canada for 3 years before you can apply for permanent residency.

.............Does that mean I'm dual nationality? :D

DeckstarDeluxe
09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
ok so it sounds like the canadian laws are slighty different to the american ones. FOr starters I was on my dad's green card because I was under 18 not 21. Didnt your dad still hold an english passport. If your dad did something wrong in canada and got deported then where would he go? He may hold canadian citzenship but I belive hes still an english national

Btw if you get the chance to live in canada I'd seriously go for it!

SC Events
09-07-2009, 11:30 PM
According to my Dad's paperqork, I could walk straight in (Obviously I'd have to catch a plane though lol :D) to Candada tomorrow and live and work there.

I have been looking at training to be an Airline Pilot over there as it's £23,000 instead of £65,000, which it costs over here.

I'm only 18 and am still unsure what I want to do right now, as I can't start any professional flight training until I have finished my Private Pilot's Licence.

As they say.........................The World's My Lobster! :D :D :D