PDA

View Full Version : Finding Songs

JSideFx
09-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi All,
I realise You will be getting asked the same questions all the time but, im in the middle of converting all my music over to a hard drive, mainly as a back up just now as I dont have a laptop yet

what i want to ask is, I have put all my music in folders 80s, 90s, artists. But will the dj software search all the folders for songs or does it just search the folder you have open at that time? Im thinking of Virtual dj but heard its prone to freezing

Thanks in advance

Dynamic Entertainment
10-07-2009, 12:30 AM
I use Serato Scratch Live, so thats all i know about :)

But if you're clicked on a specific folder then the search peraminter is restricted to said folder, but theres a icon that is always at located above your Folder Explorer windown called "All". If you search whilst clicked on that, then it searches everything. :)

SC Events
10-07-2009, 12:56 AM
I use Virtual DJ and it's brilliant.

If you click on a folder, then it will show you the contents of that folder. But, if you type something in to the browser bar, it will search every folder automatically.

If, when you have found your song, you delete the artist or title out of the browser bar, it will show you the folder contents again.

JSideFx
10-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Thats great thanks, Im going to try vdj trial on my pc to get used to it, converting my cds to hdd is actually quite good beacause ive found songs i forgot i had haha

Jonny Boy
10-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I too am in the process of ripping all my CDs...and BOY is it tedious!

At present I'm just letting the software sort it into folders by Artist/album.

The next stage is to go through the collections and send to playlists I'll set up...70s, 80s but also genre folders like "cheese" "electro" "funky" "reggae". If time I'll even break these into sub-folders "Dance/Euro; Dance/Funky House" etc

This way I hope to find and use those forgotten gems more easily.

Planning to use Virtual DJ as well. On the whole heard positive things. And I believe the new version (presumign V6 will also be issued on disc when you buy it that way?) has sorted out any imcompatability with Windows Vista.

Can anyone confirm please?

rob1963
10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi All,
I realise You will be getting asked the same questions all the time but, im in the middle of converting all my music over to a hard drive, mainly as a back up just now as I dont have a laptop yet

what i want to ask is, I have put all my music in folders 80s, 90s, artists. But will the dj software search all the folders for songs or does it just search the folder you have open at that time? Im thinking of Virtual dj but heard its prone to freezing

Thanks in advance

I'm guessing that how & what the software searches will depend on what software you're using.

I use a D2 media player, and I don't have folders.

It's not really necessary, as my music is searchable by artist, title, album, genre, playlist & even year.

I do have a few playlists, though. A couple contain background music for early in the evening. The rest are purely memory joggers in case I get a mental block. They are current music, slow music, dance music and most played songs.

DazzyD
10-07-2009, 11:36 PM
First up, I've never had any problems with VDJ freezing. It does seem to have a flaw with karaoke where it will sometimes (very rarely, mind) load a track but not play the graphics. Musically, its always been fine for me.

Planning to use Virtual DJ as well. On the whole heard positive things. And I believe the new version (presumign V6 will also be issued on disc when you buy it that way?) has sorted out any imcompatability with Windows Vista.

Can anyone confirm please?

I run it on a laptop with 512MB of RAM running Windows Vista Home Basic and I've never had any compatibility problems (unlike my version on BPM which doesn't like Vista at all!).

As for the folder thing, you can add folders to the search library and click on "Local" in the browser screen to search all of your files/folders together. Alternatively, you can use the Explorer browser function and show each folder individually.

One thing I will say is that VDJ doesn't have the fine controls that other dedicated DJ software has. It's great for beginners, though.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
One thing I will say is that VDJ doesn't have the fine controls that other dedicated DJ software has. It's great for beginners, though.

Eh? You sure?

What version are you using?

DazzyD
11-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Not sure which version it is at the moment - my laptop is set up at the venue for tonights gig so I can't look at just yet. I know it's not the most up to date version but I have it the way I want it and it works fine for me so I don't want to update it yet.

I was comparing to software such as Tracktor which has a lot more controls and functions than VDJ. And one day I'll get round to using about 20% of them!

EDIT

Just spotted your posts on VDJ 6 and it seems a lot more featured than my version. I've had mine for a while and I think it might be a version 4 release (or even a version 3 - I've had it quite some time now).

DazzyD
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Just checked my version of VDJ and it's version 4. I still think that it hasn't got anywhere near the control of Traktor. I now use Traktor and I think it's great for the kind of party DJ-ing that I do.