PDA

View Full Version : I was at this wedding and.....

daz226
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Yesterday i had the pleasure of being best man at my friends wedding. The wedding was at Marsham court in Bournmouth and a DJ was booked for the evenings entertainment.
Now this is not a post that will slate a fellow dj but a honest review on what we went through last night.

At 18:30 the DJ had the all clear to begin setting up for the disco to start at 7 30 pm how ever at 7 30pm i went in to check if all was ok and was stunned to see the disco only half set up i asked how much further time was required and was told half an hour. I then went and let the bride and guests know. at 8 pm i again went to see if the disco was ready and again was told half a hour now this was starting to get a little frustrating now so i again informed the bride and guests at 8 30 pm i wnt back in to find he still was not ready so i said to him to put some music on so as i could get the guests in who were becomming frustrated.

at 20 45 i hr and 15 mins late we eventually had the music going i then arranged for the first dance to be played at 2100 hrs and that he was to announce the new bride and groom to the floor and also requested 6 songs to be played as soon as the first dance was done cotton eye jo 5,6,7,8 rick astley and chesnew hawkes also macarana he had NONE of these and said the bride had not requested them.
at 9 pm the first dance song was played with nothing from the dj to anounce this so i had to get the bride and groom up as quick as possible.

he could not do one single request evey song requested he never had no i am not talking about obseure tracks i am talking popular 80's tracks this i thought was some kind of joke but the best was yet to come

he charged a total of 400 for this disco and requested a further 100 for PLI yes 100 for 1 nights PLI which he expected the bride to pay for.

it was a shocking night and i genuinly felt for the bride and goom and because they wanted me to have a drink and enjoy myself they paid for a disco that could not do the job i wish now i had done it for them

below is a photo of the disco in full swing when he played a rock anthem which did not go down well the cable police will have a field day here

http://i31.tinypic.com/11sja1e.jpg

Rowleys
12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
lol i think im gonna book him lol

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Never mind the cables, the swine's not wearing a suit and tie!:eek:
Obviously hasn't read the Solitaire book of Wedding DJ Etiquette. ;)

Silver
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
It's a laugh or cry situation!

Vectis
12-07-2009, 03:26 PM
It's not so much the cables (which are shocking) or the catalogue of errors posted, but for me two things jump out:

1. Some of those lights are VERY heavy - especially the Acme scanners and the Stormbirds - yet they're attached with the (in my opinion, flimsy) prolight quick clamps and NO SAFETY CHAINS. I'd also question the overall loading on a single thin bar :bang:

2. What is that guy WEARING?? :eek:

I'm sure there's more...

Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

Spirits High
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Daz,

Unfortunately for your friends it just go's to prove the importance of pre event meetings and ensuring your Dj is competant of giving them the service they want.

Hope it didn't spoil their night :(

And if my speakers looked like that with the covers on then they'd defo be off and in the van ;)

Silver
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
lol i think im gonna book him lol
P M me for my available dates, I'll do you 10% miscount for forum members http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-9766.gif!

CRAZY K
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Yesterday i had the pleasure of being best man at my friends wedding. The wedding was at Marsham court in Bournmouth and a DJ was booked for the evenings entertainment.
Now this is not a post that will slate a fellow dj but a honest review on what we went through last night.

At 18:30 the DJ had the all clear to begin setting up for the disco to start at 7 30 pm how ever at 7 30pm i went in to check if all was ok and was stunned to see the disco only half set up i asked how much further time was required and was told half an hour. I then went and let the bride and guests know. at 8 pm i again went to see if the disco was ready and again was told half a hour now this was starting to get a little frustrating now so i again informed the bride and guests at 8 30 pm i wnt back in to find he still was not ready so i said to him to put some music on so as i could get the guests in who were becomming frustrated.

at 20 45 i hr and 15 mins late we eventually had the music going i then arranged for the first dance to be played at 2100 hrs and that he was to announce the new bride and groom to the floor and also requested 6 songs to be played as soon as the first dance was done cotton eye jo 5,6,7,8 rick astley and chesnew hawkes also macarana he had NONE of these and said the bride had not requested them.
at 9 pm the first dance song was played with nothing from the dj to anounce this so i had to get the bride and groom up as quick as possible.

he could not do one single request evey song requested he never had no i am not talking about obseure tracks i am talking popular 80's tracks this i thought was some kind of joke but the best was yet to come

he charged a total of 400 for this disco and requested a further 100 for PLI yes 100 for 1 nights PLI which he expected the bride to pay for.

it was a shocking night and i genuinly felt for the bride and goom and because they wanted me to have a drink and enjoy myself they paid for a disco that could not do the job i wish now i had done it for them

below is a photo of the disco in full swing when he played a rock anthem which did not go down well the cable police will have a field day here

http://i31.tinypic.com/11sja1e.jpg

Cotton Eyed Joe:eek: :eek: :eek:

Was this a Barn dance/Line Dance???????/

Second song 5678---yeah must have been;)

CRAZY K

Paul The Party Dj
12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Good grief!
It just goes to show that just because someone charges for a good service they don't have to provide it - if you get my drift.

This is exactly why I've come back - I'm sick of seeing rubbish at friends functions when they've asked me if I'd do them first.

Did the venue supply him or did they find him somewhere else?

sted
12-07-2009, 04:12 PM
wow i feel really sorry for your friends and to not have the songs requested or announce the first dance. i cant believe it. never mind the setup. he looks a state.

again how do people get away with a service like this?

Charlie Brown
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm really appalled at this. How the hell did he get away with charging them £500! That is crazy! How does he not have any of those songs!?

I could have run circles round him. Sorry if that sounds a tad cocky but the guy must be at least 45 years old.

daz226
12-07-2009, 04:14 PM
the songs requested was what the bride wanted but even the most basic of party songs was not available but they made the best of a bad situation and we did have a good night partly down to large amounts of beer and good company.

at 10 pm i asked him for a microphone so i could say a few words but i had so much feed back which he could not adjust i gave in in the end told to turn the music off and just used my voice.

i dont think they will be calling on his services again and as for weddings i think he needs to look at his music collection and get it sorted

CRAZY K
12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm really appalled at this. How the hell did he get away with charging them £500! That is crazy! How does he not have any of those songs!?

I could have run circles round him. Sorry if that sounds a tad cocky but the guy must be at least 45 years old.

Whats age got to do with it--

Some of us are over 45 and can run circles round people half our age--eh Peter---

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Its the person that counts;)

CRAZY K

Twinspin
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
the first dance was done cotton eye jo 5,6,7,8 rick astley and chesnew hawkes also macarana he had NONE of these

what type of mobile dj doesnt carry those songs? pathetic. Was the guy using records?

and that big advertising banner on the front its horrible!

Silver shame on you :D :D :p :p

soundmaster mobile disco
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
What a messy set up,how can someone be proud of this.he obviously has no wedding djing experience or he would have a set up that could be assembled within 30 mins due to the quick turnaround of the hall.

I cannot believe that it took him so long to set up,after all he has made no effort to do a basic tidy up of the cables\work area.

Daz could you not have recommended a fellow dj that you could vouch for in this situation,at least they would be half decent and play requests.

daz226
12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
What a messy set up,how can someone be proud of this.he obviously has no wedding djing experience or he would have a set up that could be assembled within 30 mins due to the quick turnaround of the hall.

I cannot believe that it took him so long to set up,after all he has made no effort to do a basic tidy up of the cableswork area.

Daz could you not have recommended a fellow dj that you could vouch for in this situation,at least they would be half decent and play requests.

my friend the groom had booked him through a friend so it was all ready done

JDB Entertainment
12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
PLI - £100!!!

Surely his PLI would be nil and void if he doesn't have PAT Tested equipment anyway and the way in which his wiring is on the bar I would imagine it was cables all over the place on the floor so health and safety wise it must have been like spaggetti junction!

Ryu
12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
How infuriating.

See I know I don't run the perfect Mobile Disco, but I'm getting there...we've got the 3 p's (Pro,Pli,Pat), we do pre-gig visits, our cabling is neat (but could be neater...I'm working on it) and we make sure we carry obvious party staples like 5,6,7,8 and above all else we work hard to make every gig work...and I still have an element of guilt/lose gigs cos of how much I charge, even though its less than this guy.

rob1963
12-07-2009, 05:07 PM

at 20 45 i hr and 15 mins late we eventually had the music going

How on EARTH could it take him two and a quarter hours to set up?

The access must have been unbelievably diabolical.

:confused:

I then arranged for the first dance to be played at 2100 hrs and that he was to announce the new bride and groom to the floor and also requested 6 songs to be played as soon as the first dance was done cotton eye jo 5,6,7,8 rick astley and chesnew hawkes also macarana he had NONE of these and said the bride had not requested them. At 9 pm the first dance song was played with nothing from the dj to anounce this so i had to get the bride and groom up as quick as possible.

How could any DJ not announce the first dance and not have such obvious requests?

he could not do one single request every song requested he never had no i am not talking about obseure tracks i am talking popular 80's tracks this i thought was some kind of joke but the best was yet to come

Unbelievable.

He charged a total of 400

Looks like I DEFINATELY need to put my prices up!

and requested a further 100 for PLI yes 100 for 1 nights PLI which he expected the bride to pay for.

He could have got a YEAR'S worth of PLI for that!

:shrug:

daz226
12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
the load in was very easy all on the ground floor with not a big distance to get set up.

it was extreamly frustrating watching him choose the next track and then watch the dance floor empty because he could not keep a consistant music type going if he had not been paid in advance then i can asure you he would not have had his full fee come the end of the night.

the wedding reception will be remembered for the wrong reasons because put simply we was let down by the DJ.

when i seen him setting i thought ok no probs i am sure once set up he will get changed in to smart gear for a wedding but no that did not happen.

this just proves that you dont allways get what you pay for.

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Easy there Charlie, some of us over 45's could easily take offence at a remark like that. :Naughty:

Whats age got to do with it--

Some of us are over 45 and can run circles round people half our age--eh Peter---

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Its the person that counts;)

CRAZY K
Couldn't have put it better myself. ;)

soundmaster mobile disco
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I wonder why djs like him always get paid before a gig?

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I wonder why djs like him always get paid before a gig?

Cos they'd never get paid after? :confused:

Charlie Brown
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Easy there Charlie, some of us over 45's could easily take offence at a remark like that. :Naughty:

I meant him as a 45 year old.....I couldn't run circles round your self. Your way too mighty and superior. :sj:

dmckaraoke
12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Can I ask whats with the Full size cut-out...... Marilyn Monroe???

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I meant him as a 45 year old.....I couldn't run circles round your self. Your way too mighty and superior. :sj:

Stop crawling Charlie, we'll let you off this time. ;) :D :D

Oh yuss. As to why, I have no idea.:confused: :confused:

discomobiledj
12-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Blimey, for £500 I would have driven down and done it. I can assure you all the tunes you asked for would have definately been played.

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Blimey, for £500 I would have driven down and done it. I can assure you all the tunes you asked for would have definately been played.

Was wondering when that would come. ;) I think quite a few of us would have. :D :D I've got a mate down there I'd have liked to visit.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Such a shame that the guy not only spoiled someone's wedding but as soon as we push the bar higher, someone comes along and pushed it right down again and the public's view of us is lowered once again.

thex-faders
12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
The lighting this guy has i imagine would look pretty good ... if it was tidy and maybe a little clustered.

But choing what everyone else has said, this is aweful! Was he using vinyl, cant tell from the pictures.

The pricing seems totally irregular for PLI... maybe he had to actually buy it?
I hope the rest of the wedding was memorable for the right reasons!

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Such a shame that the guy not only spoiled someone's wedding but as soon as we push the bar higher, someone comes along and pushed it right down again and the public's view of us is lowered once again.

Sorry Sisyphus. :( :( :( :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry Sisyphus. :( :( :( :(

Are you calling me a sexually transmitted disease? :mad: :D

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Are you calling me a sexually transmitted disease? :mad: :D

Wouldn't dare mate. :eek: Haven't you googled it yet? Lad rolls a rock up to the top of a hill, stops to admire his handiwork, and oh :Censored: its rolled down to the bottom , so he has to start again. :( :( :( :( Good analogy, eh? :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Wouldn't dare mate. :eek: Haven't you googled it yet? Lad rolls a rock up to the top of a hill, stops to admire his handiwork, and oh :Censored: its rolled down to the bottom , so he has to start again. :( :( :( :( Good analogy, eh? :confused:

No. :D

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
No. :D

Philistine. :p I feel like him when trying to bring a modicum of culture to this place. :bang: :bang:

pulsemobiledisco
12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
A typical case of 'All the gear, no idea'!

Sam

dmckaraoke
12-07-2009, 08:09 PM

It just get worse I think the other side he has James Dean...can someone tell me im i missing something here...

DJMaxG
12-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Strangely enough, there are plenty of Lighting effects there, he was a one man operation, but wait a minute ... is that left speaker covered ? :eek:

The cabling could be a lot better.
The DJ looks like the sort of person who would turn up to do an 18th at a local football club, not a Wedding DJ as such.

How does he not have any of those songs!?

There are a pair of Vinyl turntables, left and right, with some kind of 19" Case in the centre.

Was he running Vinyl?

discomobiledj
12-07-2009, 08:24 PM
He looks like he'd be better placed in a bedroom.

Excalibur
12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
He looks like he'd be better placed in a bedroom.

As a hip ,and happening DJ using cutting edge technology, I'd have said he belongs either in:
Quarantine
A Museum
A secure facility.

BeerFunk
12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I can't add anything further than what's already been said - it does defy belief.

Ajaysdisco
12-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I can't add anything further than what's already been said - it does defy belief.

:agree:

I still can’t believe how long he took to set up; maybe he was consulting the manuals? ;)

DazzyD
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
This makes 60-Quid Sid look positively professional!

spin mobile disco
12-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree with the comments but have to ask ourselves how much time did he ask for to setup in the first place.
I know when I send out contracts etc I state arrival time and start time with a comment on, this is how much time we require to setup. So did he say he needs and hour or did the weddign over run? I just didnt want to judge him on that one without full information.
As already said the gear is ok , the bag on the speakers is a bit of a lazy thing as is the lack of cabel tidying.
But the lack of obvious songs is pretty unforgiving, I since moving to digital do find the occasioanl track has gone walkies but when noticed I rush to fill the gap.
I must admit that once a wedding very badly over ran and I had to forgo changing after setup to simply get music on as soon a possible but I did ask the bride and groom first. And on that occasion my cables were a little on the messy side but as I did have music on 25 minutes after being let into room some things can be forgiven.
£100 FOR pli???? i pay that a year. Sounds pretty shady to me.

As for age, can't agree on any of that my Dad still Dj's now well into his 60's and he is still the DJ of choice in his local area. He would run circles on me on I like to think i've been around the block.
Age isnt a boundry, pre conceptions are.

daz226
12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
ok let me answer a few of the questions raised here

he had 2 x vinal decks which were not used all night behind him was a stack of cd's which possibly were in no order as he spent so long selecting a track.

the wedding did not over run and he was requested 1 hr in which to set up.

the james dean cut out is part of his show i assume. also all of the lighting and speakers went in to one socket in the wall

he was using a 19" rack case which had a small mixer and 2x cd decks i could have set all of his show up in less than 45 mins with out any issues why it took him a age i cant answer.

the PLI issue is a joke we as dj's have PLI and the cost is bourne through the disco's but not to one customer this was a blatent rip off and i will be attempting to get hold of him to ask why he did that also to let him know that perhaps being a dj is not the right choice for him unless he sorts him self out.

the bride and groom are not happy but will not let this ruin what was a very good wedding.

as you can see from the photo i took they still had a very good wedding so not all was bad well apart from my best man speach that is
YouTube - Daz n Laines speach

DeckstarDeluxe
12-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I dont envy your position Daz after all if you say nothing then nothing happeans or you make an issue out of it on the night and it could further ruin the wedding.

Its interesting he has all that kit, yet no PLI previously?
No basic party tracks, yet he has all that kit
You say he ran that whole lot off one socket?

Nothing about this adds up at all. Just out of interest is there an contract between the two parties?

DJ Jules
13-07-2009, 06:42 AM
£100 FOR pli???? i pay that a year. Sounds pretty shady to me.

Now I don't know the individual circumstances here, and I'm definitely not trying to defend any of this guys behaviour - but... At my own wedding I wanted a specific DJ which I'd seen doing Karaoke in a local pub (because of professional appearance, personality, taste in music and reliability) and the venue myself and my now wife had choosen insisted that we took out single event public liability insurance to cover the combination of our DJ at our wedding in their premises (despite the DJ having his own PLI insurance already). My personal opinion was that they were just trying to make our lives hard so that they could put their own DJ in and take a cut (incidentally, the guy we hired cost £150 for 5hrs of Karaoke back in 2002, and they wanted to charge us £280 for just a basic DJ/Disco - but the DJ actually gave me a discount of £30 when he found out that I had to fork out for seperate insurance for him - effectively going halves on the cost).

Partly to spite the venue and partly to make sure we got the guy we wanted, I went out and bought single event insurance to cover the DJ along with the usual wedding cancellation insurance (PLI cover for DJ - £65 :) , cancellation cover - £240 according to my records! :( )

While I'm definitely not defending any of the guys actions (I think he's behaved disgracefully - especially given what he's charging), what I'm saying is that it could be plausible to charge seperately for PLI for a single event - but I would have thought that the B&G would have been aware of any "negotiations" with the venue if this was the case? :o I think it does sound shady - in the Bouncy Castle Industry a fairly common money earner was to charge the customer 10-15% on top of the usual hire fee for "insurance". The reality was that the hirer typically had insurance in place which covered them regardless and that the "insurance" sold didn't cover the customer one little bit anyway (it covered the hirer against negligance, not the hiree). I think Trading Standards ended up getting involved on that one as at best it's a mis-described service and at worst it's fraud.

Julian

daz226
13-07-2009, 07:26 AM
i was booked to do a wedding at this hotel in may which was cancled after a death in the partys family but i had to provide proof of PLI which was not a issue and 99.9% of dj would have PLI which would provide cover for 1 year and not a single event.

No contract was in place either for the wedding and this is where i feel a bit of a muppet now as i should have done more to ensure that all the potential issues were covered but the groom was happy all was sorted.

but at the end of the day looking back on it the DJ did play music all night might not have been what was wanted but he played out till the end could have been much worse.

any more of my friends get married then ill make sure that they book a dj by putting a shout out on here.

this dj could be a member here and seeing these post could give him the push he needs to sort his act out

UltraBeat Entertainment
13-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm sorry to hear it didn't go so well with the DJ your friends hired.

I can't believe it though. £500 and that's what you get? how on earth does he get bookings! i struggle at getting work charging much much less than this guy!

When someone complains when they get Saturday night sid for £60 i just think you get what you pay for but this guy is seriously taking the :Censored:

These people really get my goat as its people like them that really ruin the reputation of our industry.

How does he sleep at night. I'd feel ashamed with myself if i ruined someone else's wedding.

Vectis
13-07-2009, 08:24 AM
How does he sleep at night. I'd feel ashamed with myself if i ruined someone else's wedding.

He's probably totally oblivious. Most likely been doing the exact same thing in a little cocoon of his own since the 1970s. Someone should get him to join the forum and put some of his considerable fees to good use :p

soundtracker
13-07-2009, 08:41 AM
The idea that most DJs have PLI cover is a popular misconception, I couldn't possibly guess at what the stats are, but I know that in my locality that I am well in a minority having cover, PAT tested equipment is an even rarer beast. The guy is obviously a clown, but you would have thought in this day and age that the B&G might have asked for a bit of info from him beforehand to ensure that he could deliver their perfect wedding, before parting with the £500. I seem to get asked to jump through increasing numbers of hoops before I get bookings these days.

rob1963
13-07-2009, 09:04 AM
I still can’t believe how long he took to set up

Me neither.

Also, when first asked how much longer he'd be, why did he lie & say 30 minutes when he meant one hour and 15 minutes?

Surely he knows the difference between the two & how long setting up normally takes him.

Now I don't know the individual circumstances here, and I'm definitely not trying to defend any of this guys behaviour - but... At my own wedding I wanted a specific DJ which I'd seen doing Karaoke in a local pub (because of professional appearance, personality, taste in music and reliability)

I think we can safely say that wasn't the case here!

JTRS
13-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm in the middle of an argument with a local hotel regarding PLI. I have my own PLI but the hotel still want to charge non-resident DJ's £100 for what they class as insurance needed for non resident DJ's

Maybe the hotel has a similar policy and that's where the figure of £100 has come from.

JTRS

DJ Jules
13-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm in the middle of an argument with a local hotel regarding PLI. I have my own PLI but the hotel still want to charge non-resident DJ's £100 for what they class as insurance needed for non resident DJ's

I seem to remember my hotel offering me a similar option. I was getting pretty :Censored: off with them by this point, hence my decision to buy an independent policy to spite them. I'm sure that £100 would have gone straight into their pockets, and as far as I was concerned I was already paying them enough for the room/food.

I'll save the stories about some of the other things the hotel did to annoy me for another day!

Julian

JTRS
13-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I seem to remember my hotel offering me a similar option. I was getting pretty :Censored: off with them by this point, hence my decision to buy an independent policy to spite them. I'm sure that £100 would have gone straight into their pockets, and as far as I was concerned I was already paying them enough for the room/food.

I'll save the stories about some of the other things the hotel did to annoy me for another day!

Julian

I can understand it been offered to DJ's who don't have it, but to insist that all visiting DJ's have to buy it from regardless of whether they have it or not suggests to me it's to compensate for their lack of profit because the resident DJ wasn't used.

Hopefully by the time FOS have finished with the hotel in question they will realise that they are not allowed to sell or charge for insurance.

JTRS

CRAZY K
13-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Maybe the hotel has a similar policy and that's where the figure of £100 has come from.

JTRS

Ask them to explain in writing why.

They never will of course ---;)

Obviously want to push their own DJ to make more money--

You might mention this to the client ?

CRAZY K

JTRS
13-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Ask them to explain in writing why.

They never will of course ---;)

Obviously want to push their own DJ to make more money--

You might mention this to the client ?

CRAZY K

It was actually the client who mentioned this to me, she had seen me DJ at another function and wanted me to do her party but the hotel she booked her function at told her that if she didn't use their resident DJ then she had to pay £100 for insurance for me.

Before taking it legal I did write to the hotel and ask exactly what this charge was for, their only response was it was for insurance required by visiting DJ's.

Local TS were really helpful but the FOS has bigger teeth, since the hotel are acting illegally I'll leave it to FOS to sort them out.

At the end of the day the hotel will simply shift this figure to something else (like room hire etc), but since they cannot apply the charge retrospective then neither myself or my client will be bothered.

JTRS

DJMaxG
13-07-2009, 04:12 PM
am I right in thinking the speakers are passive 10s?

It still draws the question why one is bagged, and the other isn't

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2009, 05:51 PM
It still draws the question why one is bagged, and the other isn't

Out of all the things that is wrong with that photo and all you can mention is that?????

DJMaxG
13-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Out of all the things that is wrong with that photo and all you can mention is that?????

Ha! Trust me to point it out

I have been on the companies wesite, and they don't seem to be a disco company, the site seems more a fan site of some description.

zantedj
13-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Before I emigrated, I lived in both Bournemouth and Poole and know the Marsham Court Hotel well. They used an agent to supply all of their disco's, be it for a wedding, Christmas do or any other function. I along with three other dj's used to cover this work for them. One of the other dj's is a member of this forum, although not an active one.
I am not aware of the dj in question, and am not even sure he is local to the area. The money received from the agent for a wedding at the hotel would not be anywhere near what he received, and I would be suprised if the agent was charging that amount.
The hotel has three function rooms, one with a removable stage, all are easy load ins from the rear car park. many sockets are available near to the set up areas, and help was always available from the staff. Soft drinks were usually available to us (squash etc) free from the bar.
I was never asked by the hotel to show proof of PLI PAT test ect although we all had them, in fact I cant remember being asked for them in any Bournemouth hotel, although this has maybe changed now.
I can remember the function manager used to 'inspect' the set up before the function started, to check it was up to standard, but was mainly a tongue in cheek affair.

spin mobile disco
13-07-2009, 08:02 PM
I don;t think they are the 10's I think they may be the DB live 402's or possible the 212's both are an active 12" top.
The DB passive line looke different as it doesnt require the front cooling arches. Could be wrong but they look familiar.

Oooh had a closer look at the picture it is in fact the db 415 active tops. The furthest speaker still has the manafacturer advert sticker on it. He should have really taken that off.

DJMainman
14-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Dear All

Steve Wall is known as The Wall of Sound in the South Devon area and whilst he may have previously worked in the same area, he is in no way connected to the person who provided the awful service provided. Steve is a really cool guy and a very good friend of mine and is quite upset that he has been associated with this wedding.

I would ask that his photo at least be removed from this thread as he should not be on here.

If anyone would like to contact me to discuss the mix up further I am more than happy to respond!

Ian

DJMaxG
14-07-2009, 05:44 PM
It has Become clear that we have got the wrong person.

There are multiple companies trading under the name, including prefixes and suffixes 'Wall of Sound'

If in doubt, check the DJs website - and ensure they have the relevant licences and Insurance before hiring / referring.

Dynamic Entertainment
14-07-2009, 05:53 PM
There really is a bloke registered as DJ wall Of Sound then? I thought you were yanking our plank Rob.

PS, I too dont think its the same guy :)

rob1963
14-07-2009, 05:58 PM
There really is a bloke registered as DJ wall Of Sound then?

Yes. if you go to the members list & scroll through the ones beginning with D you'll find him there.

I thought you were yanking our plank Rob.

Not on this occasion.

:D

DJMaxG
14-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes. if you go to the members list & scroll through the ones beginning with D you'll find him there.

Not on this occasion.

:D

His name is Steven David Wall

and the name is 'DJ Wall of Sound' and he registered Today

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2009, 07:51 PM
It has Become clear that we have got the wrong person.

No, not we Max. You got the wrong person. You are lucky to still be on this site and are on your last warning.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Dear All

I can assure you that the wall of sound website you have located does not belong to the DJ who performed at the wedding you are describing.

Steve Wall is known as The Wall of Sound in the South Devon area and whilst he may have previously worked in the same area, he is in no way connected to the person who provided the awful service provided. Steve is a really cool guy and a very good friend of mine and is quite upset that he has been associated with this wedding.

I would ask that his photo at least be removed from this thread as he should not be on here.

Sorry if his "top 10" on his site is not to your taste! Some of us like cheese!!

If anyone would like to contact me to discuss the mix up further I am more than happy to respond!

Ian

Please send apologies to Steve for me Ian.

I am about to edit the thread and get rid of any mention of him and any associations.

Tony Scott
14-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Philistine. :p I feel like him when trying to bring a modicum of culture to this place. :bang: :bang:.....what's the middle east got to do with it?? :confused: :D

I could have done this gig, I'm about 45 mins away and I was free due to a cancellation! :(

DeckstarDeluxe
14-07-2009, 09:13 PM
.....what's the middle east got to do with it?? :confused: :D

I could have done this gig, I'm about 45 mins away and I was free due to a cancellation! :(

but do you have cardboard cut outs of famous dead people?

Tony Scott
14-07-2009, 09:51 PM
but do you have cardboard cut outs of famous dead people?

LOL....for £500 I'd have got look-alikes to mingle and still made a tidy profit! :D

Dj Wall of Sound
14-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi all, I registered today after hearing about this thread, I can say it definately is not me or anyone connected with my business in the picture shown. I was working in Torquay on the night in question, and very rarely travel outside Devon.
I only came on here to attempt to clear my name, it did distress me somewhat that someone would do a quick google search and post pictures of me, and a link to my site with no proof that it was me. Surely if you want to make slanderous comments about someone you would get a business card from them to ensure you got the right man!?
My thanks to Solitaire for dealing with the matter very well and promptly, and to the person who kindly phoned my house today informing me of the wrongful messages being posted (Master of Sound?)
Steve

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi all, I registered today after hearing about this thread, I can say it definately is not me or anyone connected with my business in the picture shown. I was working in Torquay on the night in question, and very rarely travel outside Devon.
I only came on here to attempt to clear my name, it did distress me somewhat that someone would do a quick google search and post pictures of me, and a link to my site with no proof that it was me. Surely if you want to make slanderous comments about someone you would get a business card from them to ensure you got the right man!?
My thanks to Solitaire for dealing with the matter very well and promptly, and to the person who kindly phoned my house today informing me of the wrongful messages being posted (Master of Sound?)
Steve

Hi Steve

Sorry for the silly misunderstandings and apologies that you had to learn of our forum and community this way. Thank you for being understanding about the situation. Perhaps you could become a part of our community - we welcome new members or if not, then once again please accept my apologies once again.

SC Events
14-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Maybe this will make people realise what can happen if you put your fingers (or mouth :D) in to gear before your brain!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2009, 10:25 PM
This is also why I don't like these threads slagging other DJs off.

Starlight
14-07-2009, 10:27 PM
OK, yeah, to be as fair as I can, there is room for improvement, sure. I don't like what he's wearing BUT he looks like a nice, friendly guy ;) I know he should be wearing shirt, tie etc and needs to nicely hide away the best he can his leads. He also might be just starting out, if he's just started out, WOW he's got a REALLY good setup BUT he needs to set his rig up neater. To end on a good, positive note, at least he turned up, some DJ's fail to turn up FULL STOP.

Best wishes,

Neil.

Excalibur
14-07-2009, 10:31 PM

While your trepidation is understandable and totally justified, it can be difficult to keep :zip: when confronted with someone who has all the hallmarks of a sixty quid Sid, but the price tag commensurate with the highest end of the market.

yourdj
14-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Before I emigrated,

Zakynthos (Zante) - Where the hell is that?

Mark Wild
14-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Zakynthos (Zante) - Where the hell is that?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=Zante

yourdj
14-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Greece. Looks nice.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Greece. Looks nice.

It is. Very. Went on holiday there about 5 years ago.

Starlight
14-07-2009, 10:54 PM

What happend to my stick of rock?

Neil.

Jonathan Ford
14-07-2009, 10:59 PM

Where did you go? We're thinking of Greece this year, probably a villa.

DJMainman
14-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Please send apologies to Steve for me Ian.

I am about to edit the thread and get rid of any mention of him and any associations.

Hi

Thank you for swift and positive response, I know Steve and his wife appreciate it.

I knew it couldn't be Steve cause he doesn't let a wedding go by without playing Steps, Cotton Eye Joe etc etc!

Ian

Excalibur
15-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Hi

Thank you for swift and positive response, I know Steve and his wife appreciate it.

I knew it couldn't be Steve cause he doesn't let a wedding go by without playing Steps, Cotton Eye Joe etc etc!

Ian

Obviously like many of us on here, a man of excellent taste and sensitivity. :D

daz226
15-07-2009, 07:35 AM

Darren

When i started this thread it was not to put down a fellow DJ in any way but just to pass on a experience i had of how wrong a disco can be done. It unfortunate that the DJ has the same name of Wall of Sound.

I would also like to apolagise also to the very sucessfull wall of sound from devon this post was not made with referance to you and i am sorry that it has caused you some distress i can assure you that was never my intention.

Kind Regards

Darren

rob1963
15-07-2009, 07:43 AM
When i started this thread it was not to put down a fellow DJ in any way but just to pass on a experience i had of how wrong a disco can be done. It unfortunate that the DJ has the same name of Wall of Sound.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, daz.

After all, you weren't the one who said something along the lines of "I've been looking at the guy's website" and you weren't the one who started posting pics of someone & saying you thought that might be the person and you weren't the one who posted the website details of a completely different company when you had no idea whether it was the same people or not...none of which are very sensible things to do.

DazzyD
15-07-2009, 01:05 PM
With all due respect, it's very easy to make the mistake of linking two businesses when they have the same name. I'm sure the average potential client would also, albeit mistakenly, make similar connections when using search engines.

If I was Steve (DJ Wall Of Sound), I'd be seeking legal advice that someone is trading in roughly the same area with the same business name especially when they are potentially doing harm to a hard-earned reputation. And, before anyone points it out, I know that businesses can have the same name but there are legal issues when one's actions brings a bad name to the other even when business names are not registered.

As this forum has good, responsible ownership, action has been swiftly taken to resolve the matter. But surely DJ Steve should be getting to the root cause of the problem - ie the other DJ trading under the same name but not offering the same level of service.

Dynamic Entertainment
15-07-2009, 01:21 PM
When i chose my name, i looked at local operators, and picked a name that was completely different to whatelse was out there. there are a few Dynamic Discops nationally, but nothing else in Cumbria(9well, nothing with a website, or listed in the phone books that cover us).

thomsonmwdj
16-07-2009, 03:05 AM
ADMIN NOTE: Please Read the forum rules regarding Text Speak abbreviatons before posting

DJMaxG
21-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Regarding companies with the same name, I think it can be done as long as they are NOT a Limited Company.

WWDJ
21-08-2009, 10:24 AM
What I find amazing, aside from not having all the popular records and not announcing the B&G first dance is ...

Why would he want to spend over 2 hours setting up every time he does a gig. I can put my rig up in 45 minutes at a push, even less and take down in 25. Ok I don't have a bar FULL of light, but I still carry 5 effects, 2 (or 3) speakers and everything else required.

visualdjmax
21-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Wow!

Mark Wild
21-08-2009, 11:23 AM
What I find amazing, aside from not having all the popular records and not announcing the B&G first dance is ...

Why would he want to spend over 2 hours setting up every time he does a gig. I can put my rig up in 45 minutes at a push, even less and take down in 25. Ok I don't have a bar FULL of light, but I still carry 5 effects, 2 (or 3) speakers and everything else required.

I usually spend 1hr 30 mins - 2 hours to setup :)

DJ Jules
21-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I usually spend 1hr 30 mins - 2 hours to setup :)

I normally only get an hour from the venues (community centres and the like). I've had to do a come set up in 30mins before (which I did to the point of getting music on and lights on the bar - it did take me a further 10mins to get the lights on and pointing in the right directions!)

It does depend on the walk from the car to the set up point. I can set up in 30mins if I only have to walk 20ft!

Julian

DazzyD
21-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I have the luxury of roadies so I can set up in 45 mins. As I've said before, each has their own tasks to do and we all work well as a team.

The joys of a family business!

WWDJ
21-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I think what I was trying to say, but didn't at all ;-) was that I have deliberately made improvements to my rig / setup with specific objective of cutting down the time needed to setup / take down. All my lights have clamps pre-fitted for example which saves a minute on each, both settting up and taking down. My rig is prewired. This saves a lot of time too.
I know that a lot of people do this.

Looks at his rig, there are 8 effects on there. He could have managed easily with 4 or 5. This would reduce time. Record decks that weren't used. This would reduce time.

Basic questions.
What time can I get in the room?
What time do I need to start?

You tailor your kit according to the occasion and the circumstances around it don't you ?

I'm far from perfect, but it sounds like this guy didn't have much of clue at all over what his customers deserve and expect.

spin mobile disco
21-08-2009, 02:02 PM
But you have to remember the client may have booked a lrager rig and wanted lots of effects. And not all of us Know how to make wiring looms although with a bit of education velcro is now more common :)
On my larger setup it takes me about 2 hours to setup make sure it all works tests and working out of dmx positions for follow spots etc.
I know a DJ near me that takes 2-4 hours to setup but it looks fantastic and he has a waiting list of clients. Technically doesnt put out more than this guy but its like chalk n cheese.

DJMaxG
21-08-2009, 02:20 PM
What really interests me more than anything is

Why ?

He must have some reason for it
- Is he new
- Is he strictly part time (one gig per a blue moon)
- Is he covering for a friend
- Is this a one off (unlikely)

Anyone got any suggestions ...

visualdjmax
21-08-2009, 02:38 PM
What really interests me more than anything is

Why ?

He must have some reason for it
- Is he new
- Is he strictly part time (one gig per a blue moon)
- Is he covering for a friend
- Is this a one off (unlikely)

Anyone got any suggestions ...

Judging by the fact that he is still using VINYL (nothing wrong with that) I am guessing that he is probably stuck in his ways!

DJ Bez
26-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Sorry to jump on the band wagon too, but this guy has some nerve charging £500 for not having the right music, looking like a mess and starting very late!! We should get him on this forum to explain himself!! i must be a mug as im charging way less than that and i pride myself and equipment to look as neat as possible so how can he justify it!!!

It Annoys me