PDA

View Full Version : amp & speakers again sorry

deltaforce
13-07-2009, 02:17 PM
hi here i have worked out that to run an amp at 4 ohms you need a set of speakers each side
now i have a w-audio 500. wthat says on the back is 250 wrms at 4 ohms
what size speakers will i need for this like two 125 watt speakers each side
the speakers i have at the moment are 300 watt d-class and a set of 100 watt sky tecs or will the one set on the amp be enough thanks
was gonna try connecting both sets up but thought that the 100 watt speakers would take all the power first sorry a bit confusing i know any help
thanks

A1DL
13-07-2009, 03:30 PM
hi here i have worked out that to run an amp at 4 ohms you need a set of speakers each side
now i have a w-audio 500. wthat says on the back is 250 wrms at 4 ohms
what size speakers will i need for this like two 125 watt speakers each side
the speakers i have at the moment are 300 watt d-class and a set of 100 watt sky tecs or will the one set on the amp be enough thanks
was gonna try connecting both sets up but thought that the 100 watt speakers would take all the power first sorry a bit confusing i know any help
thanks

Assuming the Skytecs are rated 100w @ 8r (which is highly likely), then the W Audio 250w @ 4r/ch amp should be about right to drive them on their own, probably giving in the region of 160w @ 8r

You will need a separate/larger amplifier to drive the 300w boxes, as a guide cloose an amplifier with circa 1.5 times the rms input power of the load.

Excalibur
13-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Tony is as ever spot on with his advice. Don't bother running all four cabs off that amp, it's just not big enough. The Class D's would stand a Warrior 1000 comfortably, and a 1300 with care.

deltaforce
13-07-2009, 07:51 PM
am i right in thinking that putting the amp through the skytecs will produce more power (punch) than through the class -ds. wont it blow them if turned to high
thanks again
plus will this be loud enough for a biggish hall

Excalibur
13-07-2009, 08:12 PM
am i right in thinking that putting the amp through the skytecs will produce more power (punch) than through the class -ds. wont it blow them if turned to high
thanks again
plus will this be loud enough for a biggish hall

Only if they all cluster round each cab. :(
The Skytecs will probably sound louder than the Class D's, and Tony has said the Warrior's a reasonable match for the Skytecs. Just avoid the temptation to keep pushing the faders up till the red lights come on. You will be tempted, cos the power you have at your disposal isn't enough.

Another amp of the size suggested for the Class D's would be a good idea.

deltaforce
14-07-2009, 08:31 AM
thanks for that just another thing when the clip lights show on the amp
is this because the amp has ran out of power to deliver to the speakers or because the speakers have reached there limit
cheers

A1DL
14-07-2009, 09:14 AM
thanks for that just another thing when the clip lights show on the amp
is this because the amp has ran out of power to deliver to the speakers or because the speakers have reached there limit
cheers

the one highlighted in red

deltaforce
14-07-2009, 10:24 AM
would it be ok to stick another set of skytecs 250 watt (120rms) on each side so pushing the amp to 4 ohms am i gonna notice a big increase in power if i do this sounds about right
your expertize is appreciated

Excalibur
14-07-2009, 11:36 AM
would it be ok to stick another set of skytecs 250 watt (120rms) on each side so pushing the amp to 4 ohms am i gonna notice a big increase in power if i do this sounds about right
your expertize is appreciated

And apparently ignored. Two of us have told you to get a bigger amp for the Class D's, which are a reliable, if not always exciting cab. You'll get the "free" power increase if you add another pair of Skytecs, but not double the sound. I'd rather have two amps than stick four on one amp and wind it up to the maximum. ;)
Yes I know an amp is dearere than a pair of Skytecs, but if there was a magic solution to getting enough sound to fill Wembley for £50 we'd have been on it years ago.

deltaforce
14-07-2009, 11:43 AM
that sounds like the way to go then thanks
the thing about the class-d's is they have no label on them telling about watts and such so i opened them up and on the back of the speaker it says 300w rms
does that count the top horn as well thanks a lot

Excalibur
14-07-2009, 12:02 PM
that sounds like the way to go then thanks
the thing about the class-d's is they have no label on them telling about watts and such so i opened them up and on the back of the speaker it says 300w rms
does that count the top horn as well thanks a lot

Have a look on their website, pick the cab that looks like yours, get the right size driver ( 10", 12", 15" ) and read the specs there.

deltaforce
14-07-2009, 01:15 PM
yea got it now it's this one
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1000w-12_pair-of-class-d-cd128-1-speakers.html

A1DL
14-07-2009, 01:42 PM
If you add another pair of the same full range speakers, with sufficient amplification and all things even, you should achieve a 3db increase in output

To double the output, you need TEN times the power.

Excalibur
14-07-2009, 01:48 PM
If you add another pair of the same full range speakers, with sufficient amplification and all things even, you should achieve a 3db increase in output

To double the output, you need TEN times the power.

Because the response of the Human Ear is a logarithmic scale. Thus, in the old days, when I had an amp bearing the legend 100 ( even though it only gave 70! ), to achieve double that volume, I need to use one giving 1000!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: ( Bit more, actually, cos some of the old gear made the most of what little it had. ;) :D :D )

deltaforce
15-07-2009, 12:50 AM
so what would give me around 200 - 250 watts increase will only be a jump of 3db to the human ear wow

A1DL
15-07-2009, 05:53 AM
so what would give me around 200 - 250 watts increase will only be a jump of 3db to the human ear wow

correct - i.e. noticable, but only marginally.