PDA

View Full Version : Three Mobile Broadband help?

Twinspin
13-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I signed up to Three mobile broadband last week and i seem to be having a lot of connection problems with it and looking at the signal on it im only getting two bars one bar or not at all.

and its disconnecting me after 2 minutes of usage?

Im currently on the 15gb usage per month for £15.00. Ive had problems over the weekend trying to get a connection and im having the same problems now.

I only got it last week. If you are disatisfied can you send the dongle back does anyone know and cancel it?

Because if i have any problems ill be tempted to change my mobile broadband to 02 same network my mobile phone is on

any advice would be helpful thanks.

Charlie Brown
13-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Three = the worst mobile network God has ever created. Not very helpful I know, but thinking about them makes me boil up. Me telling you about past experiences won't help you. :)

Vectis
13-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Three = the worst mobile network God has ever created. Not very helpful I know, but thinking about them makes me boil up. Me telling you about past experiences won't help you. :)

I'd suggest having a read of this (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf) before making statements like that :o

I think you'll find that Three has the best overall 3G coverage of any of the networks... :cool: with Orange a close second.

I too have the Three 3G dongle and can get a connection virtually anywhere without disconnection and I've travelled extensively across the UK with it. If your area is showing on the coverage map then I'd be tempted to suggest trying it on a different computer before maybe suspecting a dodgy dongle. Also make sure you download the latest software - don't rely on the version on the built-in mass storage chip.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I too have the Three 3G dongle

Did you get the free one?

Vectis
13-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Well I got it for nothing in return for a signing up to a 12 month contract.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Well I got it for nothing in return for a signing up to a 12 month contract.

Ah, there was a free offer for one - I just paid for the P&P.

Charlie Brown
13-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Vectis I was referring to customer service. :)

Jiggles
13-07-2009, 11:52 PM

If its CS your after O2 beats them all hands down!

The best 3G dongle here is Three! Sounds like a Dongle problem to me.

Vectis
13-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Ah, OK, it's just that when you said...

Three = the worst mobile network God has ever created

... I kind of assumed you were referring to the network ;)

@Daz - I've had mine about 18 months now and there were no freebies back then! :o

SC Events
14-07-2009, 12:00 AM
I had a three dongle but it's now bust! :bang: :mad:

half the time though, you could fly in to a bleeding mobile mast and still not get a signal!

.................and yet SOMETIMES I would get 3G or HSDPA (or whatever it is)

Twinspin
14-07-2009, 12:45 AM
my dongle is one of the ZTE one the other one they do is Huwawei or something like that.

I managed to get the connection on for a bit longer without any disconnection. So will have to see what happens with that. I only got the dongle on thursday so ive not had it a week yet.

Excalibur
14-07-2009, 06:31 AM
I'd suggest having a read of this (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf) before making statements like that :o

I think you'll find that Three has the best overall 3G coverage of any of the networks... :cool: with Orange a close second.

I too have the Three 3G dongle and can get a connection virtually anywhere without disconnection and I've travelled extensively across the UK with it. If your area is showing on the coverage map then I'd be tempted to suggest trying it on a different computer before maybe suspecting a dodgy dongle. Also make sure you download the latest software - don't rely on the version on the built-in mass storage chip.

Then you must have travelled extensively around the 3 wireless hotspots. ;) I rarely get more than two bars, and have a few deadspots in my area. :( Having said that, I can get connected in some areas where I once couldn't, so things can get beter.

Software, you're only half right Vectis. I had two versions on mine after changing to a newer dongle, and in despair, wiped both and re-installed the second one. It installed older software and worked better. It automatically updated to the newest version, and crashed! I'm having to avoid the update now. ;)

Edit: Mine's the Huawei. I've got a question about an aerial It has a socket for one, I wonder where I can get one, and will it help?

DJ Frankie
14-07-2009, 07:03 AM
I too have a 3 mobile broadband and has to be the worst contract I have ever signed up for. The signal is rubbish and I can never get a signal anywhere even when Im in a city centre. Thankfully my contract runs out in October.

Twinspin
14-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Probably going to get in touch with Three today and cancel mine under the 14days. Even though the usage per month isnt as much and its more expensive. Im planning on going onto 02 for the mobile broadband at £29.98 a month.

For a one off payment of £48.00 you can get a Samsung laptop as part of the contract. But tbh im not sure i need another laptop i have 2 already

Mark Wild
14-07-2009, 08:36 AM
But tbh im not sure i need another laptop i have 2 already

Well sell it and get the majority of your contract money back?

Or I'll give you £50 and you can give it to me?

Charlie Brown
14-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I would give you £75! :D

Twinspin
14-07-2009, 12:11 PM
ive decided that im not going on the 24 month contract, im going for the 18 month one where i just get the dongle.

Jiggles
14-07-2009, 12:11 PM
You can get the Dongle on pay as you go for £20. :D

Twinspin
14-07-2009, 12:43 PM
yeah pay as you go is a tad expensive considering the amount of usage it will get.

I think many know how much time i spend on the net.

:p :D

Jiggles
14-07-2009, 12:57 PM
£15 - 3GB - 30 hours - 96 music tracks. Good enough for me. :D

Excalibur
14-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Personally, I'd check out Orange. My mobile phone, and internet access happens to be with them, so I'm biased. ( And the Orange mast would guarantee I got coverage in the village. )

Excalibur
15-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Right lads and lasses, on the back of John's post, this is my dongle
http://www.visitchn.com/2009/04/3-huawei-e160g-usb-modem-review.html
and it has an aerial connection. Does anyone know where I might get one, cos I'm hoping it could improve reception. Cheers.

Jiggles
17-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I have my Pay and Go dongle here and I'm in an area that says i shouldn't get a signal. I get 4 bars! :D or 3G :D Its been good so far just as fast at my home internet!

sprog
17-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I just thought I would post a quick reply to this subject.

I am with 3 for my Mobile and also have mobile broadband with them.

I have the Huwawei modem and pay £5 per month for 1Gb dosent sound a lot but I have never gone over my allowance and you can check your usage very easily.

I Only get 2 bars Max in the signal box but have used this in anger halfway through a show to download a track that was requested and it only took 3 Miutes to download the track that was 4 minutes in length.

I Always get a good signal on my phone to, much better that when I was with Orange.

I Live in Northern Ireland so this post is really for anyone from NI to help them out.