PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Martin MX4's

sprog
13-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Guys

It's me again The new fella on the site I have just purchased 2 Martin MX4's for my lighting show.

Trouble is I don't know much about disco lighting, DMX aint got a clue but i watched a video on you tube before my purchase and they looked pretty good.

Like I said I have 2 can they be linked with a cable so they both do the same things at the same time? is this what DMX is?

Please give replys in laymans terms as I think I have got some great scanners just aint got a clue how to make them look good

Go easy on me remember I'm a Newbie

Sprog

Pe7e
13-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes they are very easy to link together, all the info is HERE (http://www.martin.com/service/downloadfile.asp?name=UM_MX4_EN_E.PDF&cat=65) in the user manual.

Charlie Brown
13-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Just moved it to the correct page. :)

Jiggles
13-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Second time lucky Charlie! :D

Charlie Brown
13-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Second time lucky Charlie! :D

Shush...I'm trying to be a moderator here! :sj:

sprog
14-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Yes they are very easy to link together, all the info is HERE (http://www.martin.com/service/downloadfile.asp?name=UM_MX4_EN_E.PDF&cat=65) in the user manual.

Thanks pe7e

I did a search on google for the manual but never thought to visit the official site.

And sorry Mr Moderator for posting in the wrong section like I said I'm a newbie and still getting use to the forum.

Sprog

Charlie Brown
14-07-2009, 10:55 AM
And sorry Mr Moderator

No problem! It let's me press all my buttons! :sj:

DJMaxG
14-07-2009, 06:19 PM
The MX 10s are nice, but at a Sky high price too for what they are :O

sprog
21-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi There

Me Again

My MX4's arrived today but there was no hanging bracket with them (second hand from ebay).

They seem very heavy can someone tell me if you can buy spare brackets for them. and even where I might buy some from.

Apart from the missing brackets they work fine I still have to try linking them together.

I have tried to connect my 2 MX4's together and have set the dip switches as it tells me in the book.

MASTER 12345678910

SLAVE 12345678910

But I was under the impresion that the 2 units would display the same gobos and colours ant the same time. They don't seem to be doing this at the moment, However I do not have a female or male ermination plugs in the sockets that are left. Do I need these termination plugs for the lights to work together.

Addvice will be greatly appriciated.

Excalibur
21-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi There

Me Again

My MX4's arrived today but there was no hanging bracket with them (second hand from ebay).

They seem very heavy can someone tell me if you can buy spare brackets for them. and even where I might buy some from.

Apart from the missing brackets they work fine I still have to try linking them together.

I have tried to connect my 2 MX4's together and have set the dip switches as it tells me in the book.

MASTER 12345678910

SLAVE 12345678910

But I was under the impresion that the 2 units would display the same gobos and colours ant the same time. They don't seem to be doing this at the moment, However I do not have a female or male ermination plugs in the sockets that are left. Do I need these termination plugs for the lights to work together.

I'm not familiar with these units, but You shouldn't need a termination plug, and check that you're using a DMX cable, not a mic cable. Also, you go master out to slave in. Hope this helps.

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm not familiar with these units, but You shouldn't need a termination plug, and check that you're using a DMX cable, not a mic cable. Also, you go master out to slave in. Hope this helps.

I'm sure i've heard somewhere that Martin fixtures have 2 poles reversed and won't work with normal XLR unless you solder the pins the other way round? Maybe i'm talking rubbish, but i know that this is the case for Robocolours...

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm sure i've heard somewhere that Martin fixtures have 2 poles reversed and won't work with normal XLR unless you solder the pins the other way round?

My EFX's are OK, but I have heard something along those lines. Didn't Martin used to use their own protocol?

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 02:01 PM
My EFX's are OK, but I have heard something along those lines. Didn't Martin used to use their own protocol?

Yeah I think that's what it was.

Excalibur
21-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm sure i've heard somewhere that Martin fixtures have 2 poles reversed and won't work with normal XLR unless you solder the pins the other way round? Maybe i'm talking rubbish, but i know that this is the case for Robocolours...

I'm sure you're right Ollie. ( Or used to be, I think they've altered them now, but if they're old, who knows? Good point. )

There are adaptors available, if this is the case.

Pe7e
21-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi There

Me Again

do you mean 'Advice will be greatly appreciated'?

Set one light as the master. Set pins 1 - 2 - 10 to ON, all the others to OFF
Set the other(s) MX4 as a slave. Set pin 10 to ON, all the others to OFF
link the two together with a DMX cable and they should work as Master / slave in music trigger mode, you usually don't need to terminate the last lamp unless you are having problems. In this configuration the MX4s should do exactly the same as each other. If you want to invert the 'pan' (sweep) of the mirror, set pin 9 on the SLAVE to ON

You will be able to find S/H brackets on eBay, make sure you get the tightning screws with them. First though, contact the seller he may have them kicking about. Did the Ad point out they were missing? if not ask for a bit of a refund

sprog
21-07-2009, 04:17 PM
do you mean 'Advice will be greatly appreciated'?

Set one light as the master. Set pins 1 - 2 - 10 to ON, all the others to OFF
Set the other(s) MX4 as a slave. Set pin 10 to ON, all the others to OFF
link the two together with a DMX cable and they should work as Master / slave in music trigger mode, you usually don't need to terminate the last lamp unless you are having problems. In this configuration the MX4s should do exactly the same as each other. If you want to invert the 'pan' (sweep) of the mirror, set pin 9 on the SLAVE to ON

You will be able to find S/H brackets on eBay, make sure you get the tightning screws with them. First though, contact the seller he may have them kicking about. Did the Ad point out they were missing? if not ask for a bit of a refund

Hi pe7e

Thanks for the ADVICE.

Sorry for the stupid spelling missmakes.

And belive me this Advice is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Andrew - can I suggest using some kind of spell checker?

sprog
21-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi there

Big Andy here, saying great big thanks to Mr Pe7e.

I followed the instructions for master and slave settings and hey presto, the lights are working together displaying the same gobos and the same colours at the same time.
I played around with the Slave settings and decided to dip number 9 also so the mirrors are on opposite tilt to each other.

Thanks very much Pe7e you are a star.

Ps hope the spelling is OK this time.