PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Internal Top Hats To My Speakers

SC Events
15-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi All,

I have bought some internal To Hats: These (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330319559126)

And I want to fit them to my speakers: These (http://www.electromarket.co.uk/pp/Speakers/15inch_800w_Max_Speakers_with_Free_Speaker_Stands. html)

I was wondering how I would mark out the position on the speakers as I will be sticking a pole in the hole with a ProSound 300W Speaker on top.

Do I just find the centre of the speaker, by drawing a diagonal line from corner to corner and then cutting a 35mm hole or do I have to find how the weight is distributed and do some maths?

Thanks for your help.

Pe7e
15-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Do I just find the centre of the speaker, by drawing a diagonal line from corner to corner and then cutting a 35mm hole or do I have to find how the weight is distributed and do some maths?

Thanks for your help.

You need to find the centre of gravity, easiest way is find a piece of tube or dowel, (a broom handle will do), put it on the floor and put your speaker on the top of it with the front of the speaker parallel to the tube. Move it back and forth until the balance point is found and mark it (both sides), pencil a line between the two marks, then divide the line in half and you have the C of G.

rob1963
15-07-2009, 12:49 PM
You need to find the centre of gravity, easiest way is find a piece of tube or dowel, (a broom handle will do), put it on the floor and put your speaker on the top of it with the front of the speaker parallel to the tube. Move it back and forth until the balance point is found and mark it (both sides), pencil a line between the two marks, then divide the line in half and you have the C of G.

I was going to suggest the same sort of thing using something like a cotton reel to balance the speaker on & find the centre of gravity.

If it was me, I'd use a pencil to draw lines from corner to corner on the speaker, gaffa tape a cotton reel to the centre of the speaker then place it on a non carpeted floor to see if it stayed in place or moved to one side.

If it moved, It would just be a case of trial & error to find the centre of gravity before drilling your hole in the cabinet.

Pe7e
15-07-2009, 12:56 PM
That would work OK, but speakers are almost always front heavy, you can mark a center line front to back as the speakers C of G will lie somewhere along this line and then find the balance point by trial and error

SC Events
15-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for your replies. It seems a bit confusing but I'll give it a go.

deltic
15-07-2009, 04:28 PM
as long as the weight of the pro-sound speaker on top doesn't push the pole through the plastic top hat you are using.

SC Events
15-07-2009, 04:57 PM
They're metal not plastic.

I have done it now, it took me 3 hours though.

rob1963
15-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Glad to hear you've got it sorted now, Scott.

:)

Tony Scott
15-07-2009, 08:25 PM
They're metal not plastic.

I have done it now, it took me 3 hours though.

Mine took 10mins whilst loading my subs into a venue, picked the top hats up at maplins on the way and used a battery drill, tape measure and a hole saw......what were you doing for 3 hrs? :confused: :D

Glad it worked out for you though! :approve:

SC Events
15-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Mine took 10mins whilst loading my subs into a venue, picked the top hats up at maplins on the way and used a battery drill, tape measure and a hole saw......what were you doing for 3 hrs? :confused: :D

Glad it worked out for you though! :approve:

I had to find a hole cutter, then I had to mend the hold cutter :bang:

Then I drilled it, filed it, hoovered the bits out then screwed it back together again.

Then I did the second one! :D

Tony Scott
16-07-2009, 06:19 AM
I had to find a hole cutter, then I had to mend the hold cutter :bang:

Then I drilled it, filed it, hoovered the bits out then screwed it back together again.

Then I did the second one! :D

Ahh....that explains it then, the hole saws I use cut clean and retain the cut out piece of wood so there is no mess inside the cabinet to clean up.
I use these saws all the time for my Plumbing, Heating & Ventilation work. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-07-2009, 07:56 AM
as long as the weight of the pro-sound speaker on top doesn't push the pole through the plastic top hat you are using.

I worked with a tribute singer recently and was helping him get his cabs on top of stands and that is exactly what happened. The cabs were quite heavy and pushed the tripod right through the top hat and into the cab itself. :eek:

SC Events
16-07-2009, 08:40 AM
I worked with a tribute singer recently and was helping him get his cabs on top of stands and that is exactly what happened. The cabs were quite heavy and pushed the tripod right through the top hat and into the cab itself. :eek:

Oh No! :eek:

I bet they weren't smiling when that happened.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Oh No! :eek:

I bet they weren't smiling when that happened.

No....!

Luckily he had another pair of cabs to use.

SC Events
16-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I tested mine and they work fine. Touch would, they will stay like that.

Thanks for you help everyone by the way :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

SC Events
16-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Though I'd add a couple of pictures I took in the spare room, to show you the results.