PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need Fog/Smoke or not

sprog
16-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi There

It's the Newbie here again.

I have a question for you seasoned pros Do I need Fog or Smoke for my light show to be a success?

I Have A stairville Maniac which I know works well withiut fog as I have already used it. But I have know purchased to Martin mx4's which I havent used yet.
I'm still in the process of getting shows I have done a couple and I have one next week where I plan to use the MX4's. The show is only in a Small room hired out in a pub, Do I need smoke or fog or will they be ok without?

Also if I do use fog do you use it down low or attach it to your lighting bar.
The only reason I ask this is that I have never used one before and I notice that most fog machines have a fixing bracket like the one's on my lights.

Please remember I'm New treat me gently.

Sprog

Dynamic Entertainment
16-07-2009, 06:58 PM
You dont need haze/smoke go get a good show, but it does enhance it.

As for the hanging bracket, some do have them, others dont. They can be hung, but if they are they need to be above head hight (so as not to fire in peoples face) or have it floor standing so the smoke filters up.

SC Events
16-07-2009, 07:04 PM
As Steve said, it's not essential but I always use it if I can as it adds the extra wow factor rather than just patterns moving and changing colour around the room.

Charlie Brown
16-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Nah, you need it. Makes everything look 100 times better! You can get a cheap one for £30. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
16-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Personally I have my smoke machines on the floor. Ive used a skytec one for a couple of years that was only £45. Im in the market for something better but for the price its served me well.

Charlie Brown
16-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I was lucky to have been given a free smoke machine. It's a Kam and retails at arounf £80. You can certainly tell the difference between this and then the cheaper skytec one I used to have. It's controlled and only smokes when you want. The remote control is also wireless. Makes everything easier. Really high output too...

Excalibur
16-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Smoke is fantastic at enhancing lights on occasion. Sadly I work few venues where I can use it, so rarel;y take it. LED effects with dots need smoke less in my opinion.

sprog
16-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I Would just like to say thanks to all That have replied to My question.

I Don't think I can afrord to get one for next weeks show.

But with the money I get I think I will invest in One afterwards. I'm going to go for a cheapish one to start with and use it at floor level.

Thanks for all your advice.

Sprog

spin mobile disco
17-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I bought a cheap 29.99 antari fogger about 4 years ago from maplins (boo hiss yeah I know)
And it still works fine it uses not much fluid it works forst time and is not particually bad looking as long as you don't buy the orange one. Well worth it or if your budget is a bit better buy and antari fazer as they are very robust and again very reliable.
Ideal for mobile use.