PDA

View Full Version : play your cards right

wayne128
19-07-2009, 11:07 PM
firstly im not sure if this is in the correct section so i appologise in advance
the landlady at the local i dj at as asked me if i can start doing the above game every friday, now rather than carry a big board and large cards in every week i wondered if there was a computer programme i could use on my laptop to make my life easier. i am connected to 2 large televisions and thought this programme if it exists would be ideal
many thanks
Wayne

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Indeed there is - I got mine for £99, but it was a special offer. http://www.just-mounts.com/acatalog/Pub_Game_Compendium_Now_Includes_T1_Racing.html#aP UB_2dPack1

Looks like this.

BeerFunk
19-07-2009, 11:17 PM
There was a local guy that used to do this, with big cards, everyone in the pub loved it. I can't imagine it would be the same on a computer screen? In fact, if I remember rightly, Darren was looking for a display board for this a year or two ago?

Edit : talk of the devil! :sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2009, 11:27 PM
There was a local guy that used to do this, with big cards, everyone in the pub loved it. I can't imagine it would be the same on a computer screen? In fact, if I remember rightly, Darren was looking for a display board for this a year or two ago?

Edit : talk of the devil! :sj:

Which I found and used! Live version is much nicer...;)

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah we used to do this in Rhythm & Booze, theres no way it would be as effective on a screen no matter how big it is. The cards being turned physically by a volunteer (dolly dealer) is a massive part of the atmosphere.

rob1963
20-07-2009, 08:17 AM
A very popular game indeed, and one which has a great atmosphere, with all the punters shouting our higher or lower (something which I encourage).

I've been doing it as part of my Thursday night quiz for the last few months. So far, one guy won £125 and another won £300. You can imagine the atmosphere when someone is down to the last card & there's £300 at stake!

I do agree with Beerfunk that it's probably not the same on a screen than with real cards on a real board. My board was home made. It's about 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide (complete with built-in stand).

Here's a mock up of me doing it. I actually use two rows of 4 cards rather than 3, but I had the 4th ones cut off for the pic...so the camera could get in closer.

theres no way it would be as effective on a screen no matter how big it is. The cards being turned physically by a volunteer (dolly dealer) is a massive part of the atmosphere.

Completely agree.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Where do you but the massive cards?

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Where do you but the massive cards?

In a massive card shop...:sj:

Just Google them Steve.

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 10:27 AM
they're not massive it's just small people handling them.

Excalibur
20-07-2009, 11:44 AM
In a massive card shop...:sj:

Just Google them Steve.
Large playing cards. First three of many. £10, £8, £4!!!!!

www.hawkin.com/giant-playing-cards

www.charnwood-catalogue.co.uk/index

www.teambuildingshop.com

Spirits High
20-07-2009, 11:44 AM
There's plenty in google land, try here they seem to be the cheapest ;)

http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211989&pn=Giant-Playing-Cards/

Penfold42
20-07-2009, 11:45 AM
they're not massive it's just small people handling them.

:lol:

Vectis
20-07-2009, 11:47 AM
In the past year or so I've been to two racenight events for charity.

At the first, the races were 'run' on plasma screens from prerecorded content, and the atmosphere was pretty good.

At the second, the guy turned up with 6 hobby horses with different coloured handles, two giant dice and a roll of masking tape. The atmosphere was absolutely electric.

I know which I preferred!

Excalibur
20-07-2009, 11:48 AM

As I've posted links to some at £8 and £4 I beg to differ. :p :p

At the first, the races were 'run' on plasma screens from prerecorded content, and the atmosphere was pretty good.

At the second, the guy turned up with 6 hobby horses with different coloured handles, two giant dice and a roll of masking tape. The atmosphere was absolutely electric.

I'm baffled as to the use for the masking tape. :confused: ( Though one springs readily to mind. )

Vectis
20-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm baffled as to the use for the masking tape. :confused: ( Though one springs readily to mind. )

Marking out the 'pitch' on the floor ;)

Excalibur
20-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Marking out the 'pitch' on the floor ;)

Thank goodness for that. :eek: Some of the possibilities I had envisaged were wide of the mark, two were smutty, and one kept you quiet. ;) :D :D

Spirits High
20-07-2009, 12:19 PM
As I've posted links to some at £8 and £4 I beg to differ. :p :p

Ok then to re-phrase "the cheapest I've found" :p :p :D

JDB Entertainment
20-07-2009, 01:05 PM

I have the horse & dice game!

And it is a great game with kids and adults alike! :D

rob1963
20-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Wow...£8.99 is extremely cheap, but I'd be wary about getting the cheapest, as they'll probably be the lowest quality, so I'm guessing they will be printed on very thin card.

If I remember correctly, mine were £30 or £35, but they are excellent quality.

sted
20-07-2009, 02:15 PM
sorry to sound stupid but how does this game work do people pay to be involved and then they win?

how ??

rob1963
20-07-2009, 02:27 PM
sorry to sound stupid but how does this game work do people pay to be involved and then they win? how ??

Glad to enlighten you, Sted.

Here's how I do it at my Thursday quiz night:

People buy raffle tickets for £1 each. Later on, I drawn out a ticket & that person comes up to play the game (while I play the theme tune). They mix up the cards, then I deal 8 cards face down onto the board in two rows of 4.

They have to turn over all cards correctly by predicting whether each card will be higher or lower than the previous one. If they turn over all 8 cards correctly, they win the jackpot. If they don't win, the money rolls over to the following week, and keeps rolling over until it's won.

They have the option to change the first card if they want to, Aces count high and if a pair comes up the game is over.

Hopefully that covers everything.

:)

sted
20-07-2009, 03:04 PM
wow cool. so its not a game you could run just in one night. what am thinking is i run a disco every sunday and we play a games to engage some of the quests with more severe disabilities. so would be good if we could run something like this.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Glad to enlighten you, Sted.

Here's how I do it at my Thursday quiz night:

People buy raffle tickets for £1 each. Later on, I drawn out a ticket & that person comes up to play the game (while I play the theme tune). They mix up the cards, then I deal 8 cards face down onto the board in two rows of 4.

They have to turn over all cards correctly by predicting whether each card will be higher or lower than the previous one. If they turn over all 8 cards correctly, they win the jackpot. If they don't win, the money rolls over to the following week, and keeps rolling over until it's won.

They have the option to change the first card if they want to, Aces count high and if a pair comes up the game is over.

Hopefully that covers everything.

That's pretty much the same way as I do it too.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Cheers everyone

rob1963
20-07-2009, 04:52 PM

Great minds...

:D :D :D

wayne128
20-07-2009, 06:08 PM
thanks for all the interest in the question and on reflection i think after listening i will get some big cards and a board for better interaction with the punters and of course dolly the dealer
thanks
Wayne

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 06:20 PM
and of course dolly the dealer

Pick a winner mate ! I used too lol

DazzyD
20-07-2009, 06:51 PM

Me too. Only difference is I deal out ten cards, two rows of four then a top row of 2 (The "Jackpot Row"!).

I did dabble with a PC-based version which I wrote myself (nothing flash, simple graphics and a basic random-number generator program). It lasted one week before I gave up and went back to the cards. Now it's cards everytime for me (and the pack cost around £40 all those years ago from a long-gone magic shop).

rob1963
20-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Me too. Only difference is I deal out ten cards, two rows of four then a top row of 2 (The "Jackpot Row"!).

The number of cards I use was dictated by the win rate I wanted, so I started with that & then worked backwards.

It was important to get this right, as a high win rate would mean small jackpots & a low win rate would mean massive jackpots but people might be put off...as it would hardly ever get won.

I knew roughly how much cash I'd be taking each week & I knew what sort of level I'd like the maximum jackpot to reach (around £400). From that, I worked out that I needed a win rate of about 1 in 14.

Once I knew the win rate I needed, I played out the game many hundreds of times at home with various different numbers of cards - some where you could change the first card & some where you could not. This showed me how many cards I needed to use & whether I could let them change the first card in order to get the required win rate.

It worked out that using 8 cards & giving them the option to change the first card produced the win rate I was looking for...about 1 in 14.

Common sense suggested that 8 cards were best split into 2 rows of 4, so I then went out & got the materials to make up the board.

I always feel that the more planning you can do when trying something new, the less change there is of things not working out how you hope!

:D

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Mind if if i rob your theory work Rob? :D

rob1963
20-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Mind if if i rob your theory work Rob? :D

Charming...I spend endless hours doing extensive research & planning by playing the game hundreds of times at home, then you come along & want to nick my findings!

Seriously...I don't mind at all.

Go for it Steph!

:D :D :D

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Cheers, yet another one of these :beer1: that i owe you if we ever get to meet :)

rob1963
20-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Cheers, yet another one of these :beer1: that i owe you if we ever get to meet :)

No problem.

I'll be at BPM in Birmingham on Sunday 4th October.

If you're not going, we'll have to wait until a later date.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Cant make it unfortunately, got a gig. I was hoping too aswell :( - Maybe next years :)

rob1963
20-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Never mind. Another time, then.

Vectis
21-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Never mind. Another time, then.

You're driving anyway, IIRC :o

rob1963
21-07-2009, 07:35 AM
You're driving anyway, IIRC :o

No I'm not...someone else will be.

Unfortunately, I'm driving to work that evening, though :cry:

rob1963
24-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Back to play your cards right, somebody won it at my quiz last night.

I was not expecting that to happen, as it's only 3 weeks since it was last won...and the win rate is only 1 in 14!

:shrug:

JAMdisco
24-07-2009, 10:53 AM
The number of cards I use was dictated by the win rate I wanted, so I started with that & then worked backwards.

It was important to get this right, as a high win rate would mean small jackpots & a low win rate would mean massive jackpots but people might be put off...as it would hardly ever get won.

I knew roughly how much cash I'd be taking each week & I knew what sort of level I'd like the maximum jackpot to reach (around £400). From that, I worked out that I needed a win rate of about 1 in 14.

Once I knew the win rate I needed, I played out the game many hundreds of times at home with various different numbers of cards - some where you could change the first card & some where you could not. This showed me how many cards I needed to use & whether I could let them change the first card in order to get the required win rate.

It worked out that using 8 cards & giving them the option to change the first card produced the win rate I was looking for...about 1 in 14.

Common sense suggested that 8 cards were best split into 2 rows of 4, so I then went out & got the materials to make up the board.

I always feel that the more planning you can do when trying something new, the less change there is of things not working out how you hope!

:D

Blimey, I bet Brucie and his production team didn't put this much research into the original game :p ;) :D

Nice one Rob :D

rob1963
24-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Blimey, I bet Brucie and his production team didn't put this much research into the original game :p ;) :D

Nice one Rob :D

Cheers Justin!

As you can probably tell, I'm a strong believer that the more research & planning you put into something new the less chance there is of is not working out how you expect & the less chance there is of problems being encountered.

It's common sense, really.