PDA

View Full Version : Wedding DJ's 16 & Under?

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Stemming form Charlies giglog and concerning wedding DJ's that are 16 and under.

I see some of you guys out there are of the opinion that a 16 year old is experienced enough and mature enough to deal with the not so easy feat of representing the whole nights entertainment at a wedding. I have to a agree that there are some young lads that represent that age group on here that maybe up to the presentation of setup and music choice but personally I wouldn't like a 16 year old MC'in my wedding, introducing the first dance, second dance and what ever the specific wedding requires.

This is obviously just my opinion, it would be nice to see what the general feelings are on this. But remember, think how you would feel if you turned up to your wedding reception to find the D.J. is 14/15/16 how would you initially feel?

SC Events
20-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't see a problem if they are competant and mature.

I'm 18 and when I turn up to a function or wedding, people are usually shocked and always ask me how old I am.

Once I get chatting to them though, they chill out.

discomobiledj
20-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I think with younger birthdays you can get away with it, but with weddings, I'd want someone older, but not too old. My brother had a dj for his engagement and all he wanted to play was the waltz and tango! :eek: :eek:

Even when we asked him to play some more modern songs (70's onwards) he refused to.....and he didn't have any lights!

Anyway, back on topic, I would want someone similar age to me or older but not OAP! :sofa: and who knows how to create a party.

Jiggles
20-07-2009, 10:05 AM
but not OAP! :sofa:

Peter I'm thinking he means you. :D:p

I could do one easily but knowing me I would put my size 12s into it badly so I don't do them. :D

SC Events
20-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Anyway, back on topic, I would want someone similar age to me or older but not OAP! :sofa: and who knows how to create a party.

Peter I'm thinking he means you. :D:p

I beleive that comment is still worthy of being a hanging offence up north :D :p

.....Over to you Peter! :D

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I was doing weddings at 16 on a regular basis, never had a problem. If i booked a dj and it turned out he was 16 i would probably feel the need to have a chat with him and run everything by him and make sure he knows what i want. To be honest i would do the same with any dj, and did do on my engagement party a few years ago.

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I was doing weddings at 16 on a regular basis, never had a problem. Accompanied by an adult?

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 10:35 AM
This really depends on the maturity and skills of the DJ. I started DJing at 15 but can't really remember when I did my first wedding. What I do know is that whoever booked me would have been through a personal referal or recommendation, which is a lot different than getting an internet booking where the people booking don't know the DJ.

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Accompanied by an adult?

nope, my mum used to drop me off and collect me at the end

daz226
20-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I think as we have seen from this forum age is no barrier the young guys who over the last 18 months we have seen mature in to very competant DJ's are living proof that providing they have the ability then there should be no problems.

I am renewing my vows next year as 18 years ago i had a microwave wedding this time the wife want the full works and i would be proud to have a 16 year old do my disco as i am sure that the night would be awesome.

Darren started at 15 look at him now ok the years have not been kind to his body:p but he is a outstanding dj and i honestly beleive ollie and charlie could go down that road the future of these kids is very very bright.

so in short i would have no objection to a young dj doing a wedding for me

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 10:56 AM
nope, my mum used to drop me off and collect me at the end

Says it all really

Pe7e
20-07-2009, 11:00 AM
This is obviously just my opinion, it would be nice to see what the general feelings are on this. But remember, think how you would feel if you turned up to your wedding reception to find the D.J. is 14/15/16 how would you initially feel?

I'm with you on this one, I don't doubt for a second that they're 16 year old DJs out there, who DO have the required maturity and ability to handle such an important event, but IMO they are few and far between. I think the larger and more formal an event is, the more experience and gravitas is required of the MC/DJ to pull it off. The problem with experience is, until you have it, you don't realise it was missing in the first place, and I've seen many young DJs who don't know their limitations.(and a few older ones too) The same can be said about corporate events as well as weddings, few young DJs will have the required experience to do the job professionally.

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Says it all really

what do you mean?

Shaun
20-07-2009, 11:09 AM

I know there are many mature young DJs, we have some on this forum. Personally, I wouldn't hire someone so young to DJ at my wedding.

That may sound hypocritical seeing as I used DJ at weddings as a 16 year old. I thought I knew a lot about music back then, but it's only as I got older that I that I really started to learn and perfect my trade. With age comes experience.

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 11:13 AM
what do you mean?

Just the whole "My mummy dropped me off" and "My mummy's picking me up" lacks the maturity and professionalism I think is needed to handle such a big occasion. Regardless of D.J skills, it's also a professional service people want, from the first point of contact until the last song.

daz226
20-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm with you on this one, I don't doubt for a second that they're 16 year old DJs out there, who DO have the required maturity and ability to handle such an important event, but IMO they are few and far between. I think the larger and more formal an event is, the more experience and gravitas is required of the MC/DJ to pull it off. The problem with experience is, until you have it, you don't realise it was missing in the first place, and I've seen many young DJs who don't know their limitations.(and a few older ones too) The same can be said about corporate events as well as weddings, few young DJs will have the required experience to do the job professionally.

surley that is the beauty of a forum like this the wealth of information shared on here helps the young and old go in the right direction. you only need to look at Charlie ( example ) when he first came on here he was posting 10 a hour trying to get information and learn now 18 months later look at what he is doing and the equipment he now has. he is 16 going on 32 in terms of what he has acheived so far and like has been said in another post if he spends time with a more experienced dj he will go on to learn more and improve to the point where no booking would phase him. The future of the mobile DJ is in the hands of these young dj's and i welcome that with open arms providing the customer is happy and the guests have a great night then no matter the age of the dj the job was done

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Just the whole "My mummy dropped me off" and "My mummy's picking me up" lacks the maturity and professionalism I think is needed to handle such a big occasion. Regardless of D.J skills, it's also a professional service people want, from the first point of contact until the last song.

What a load of rubbish

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 11:15 AM
What a load of rubbish

What do you mean? ;)

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I did weddings on a weekly basis and my professionalism was never questioned. Fact

BeerFunk
20-07-2009, 11:25 AM
This really depends on the maturity and skills of the DJ.I think that's the real issue - age isn't completely relevent. Say what you will about maturity and attitude, it's highly unlikely that a 16 year old will have the musical knowledge and intuition to cover all eventualities and requests. In saying that, as someone already mentioned, there are DJs of 40/50 years who don't seem to tick this box either!

As for experience, well again, how many gigs could you have played by the age of 16? If something goes wrong, have you had to deal with it before, and can you deal with it now?

Excalibur
20-07-2009, 11:39 AM
OK, jokes first: Steve and Callum, how funny that was. Laugh? I thought I'd never start. :p :D :D
Steve, my son attended a wedding just like that recently, in my opinion, it's somebody not doing his job properly. Not good.

surley that is the beauty of a forum like this the wealth of information shared on here helps the young and old go in the right direction. you only need to look at Charlie ( example ) when he first came on here he was posting 10 a hour trying to get information and learn now 18 months later look at what he is doing and the equipment he now has. he is 16 going on 32 in terms of what he has acheived so far and like has been said in another post if he spends time with a more experienced dj he will go on to learn more and improve to the point where no booking would phase him. The future of the mobile DJ is in the hands of these young dj's and i welcome that with open arms providing the customer is happy and the guests have a great night then no matter the age of the dj the job was done

Pete and Daz, total agreement. In particular, Charlie is a shinng example of someone who has listened to the good advice he has received, and quite a few on here might do well to follow his example. ;)

The problem is that there are so many variables. You could have a young DJ who is old beyond his years, as Charlie seems to be with his musical choices ( sorry mate, it really tickles me :D ), or you could have the over-the-hill DJ desperately trying to recapture his lost youth, getting all down and trendy with the Yoof. ( Hmmmmm, good job there's nobody like that on here, eh? :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :D )

I really think this in particular is the one scenario where you can't generalise at all. All I will say is that experience, enthusiasm and knowledge are priceless. Smugness, weariness and bad attitudes are unacceptable.

Penfold42
20-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I would have no problem with a sixteen year old doing my wedding as I would have seen the person before the event on a client meeting....all/any issues would have been sorted then.

Cj_The_Dj
20-07-2009, 11:52 AM
No one as ever batted an eyelid for me. I once had a DJ (guest at the wedding) ask me how I got such a full dance floor. he told me he was shocked.

but i have heard of young a DJ not knowing what hes doing. (music wise), (told from a family member)

Twinspin
20-07-2009, 12:27 PM
What about older people that start up with the discos that have never done them before?

Is that any different to a young lad? Although an older dj may know what was popular in say 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s but not fully clued up on the latest chart music. Whereas a younger dj should know this quite well.

Not saying thats always the case but just something to think about as well.

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I did weddings on a weekly basis and my professionalism was never questioned. Fact

Yeah, they probably spoke to your mum, you considered yourself a professional at 16 years old?

visualdjmax
20-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't see a problem if they are competant and mature.

I'm 18 and when I turn up to a function or wedding, people are usually shocked and always ask me how old I am.

Once I get chatting to them though, they chill out.

I stiil get that and I am 36!:eek:

visualdjmax
20-07-2009, 12:38 PM
This really depends on the maturity and skills of the DJ. I started DJing at 15 but can't really remember when I did my first wedding. What I do know is that whoever booked me would have been through a personal referal or recommendation, which is a lot different than getting an internet booking where the people booking don't know the DJ.

Exactly the same as. Everything was word and mouth back in the dark ages.

OllieJames
20-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't do weddings, but would like to eventually. I know a couple of DJs from around here that are my ages that do weddings a couple of times a month..

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, they probably spoke to your mum, you considered yourself a professional at 16 years old?

Yes, thats why i was out every weekend doing weddings and repeat bookings, i think that speaks for itself. And if they did make negative comments to my mum i can be sure that she would have told me so i could improve, i come from a family of entertainers and we realise that feedback is important. I think you are being ageist

A1DL
20-07-2009, 01:24 PM
If Mummy or Daddy "dropped off" their 15 year old son or daughter to do a job, I would imagine this would cause a PLI issue, as my understanding is that an insurer requires a policy to be in the name of an adult, and for said adult to be in attendance at the event. I may stand corrected, however I do not believe a child can take out a PLI policy in his/her own name.

Charlie Brown
20-07-2009, 01:28 PM
You should never judge a book by it's cover.

My gig log was just an example of "a night out with Charlie Brown" and they booked me through a recomendation from another wedding they had previously attended.

When I tell clients my age (after the event ;) they are really shocked. I did a motown night last week and when I told these two men (they were a couple) one of them said "You thought he was gay and 30 years old!" I laughed but it didn't come as a surprise because who would think a 16 year old would be doing a disco in the first place? Never mind a wedding....it's a scenario that the general public wouldn't even take into consideration. I believe all DJ's are just renowned (in the publics eyes) of being at least 20+.

When I get married, I admit I would be very dubious of booking a 16 year old to do my disco. The idea actually seems daunting, but from a 16 year olds point of view all we want is a "chance to shine."

I was reading my first ever posts when I joined the forum and I actually cringed. To compare to when I first joined over a year and a half ago.

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10975

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17466...even that to say it was only 7 months ago!

I agree with both sides of the argument. I wouldn't want a 16 year old doing my disco yet at 16 weddings are what I enjoy most. :o

DJWilson
20-07-2009, 01:28 PM
When I turned up to a wedding gig at the end of last year they was shocked by my age but during the night came up and said thanks etc and asked me to play an extra 30mins, so they gave me the £30 for the hour over time, they signed the contract etc. But they kept asking for "1 more, 1 more" so ended up playing the full 1hour extra, was a great night, Rob got some male attention aswell :)

Charlie Brown
20-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Rob got some male attention aswell :)

Who is Rob? What does that have to do with anything? :o I'm confused....

OllieJames
20-07-2009, 01:34 PM
If Mummy or Daddy "dropped off" their 15 year old son or daughter to do a job, I would imagine this would cause a PLI issue, as my understanding is that an insurer requires a policy to be in the name of an adult, and for said adult to be in attendance at the event. I may stand corrected, however I do not believe a child can take out a PLI policy in his/her own name.

I've got PLI under my own name, but I usually have an adult with me anyway.

DJWilson
20-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Who is Rob? What does that have to do with anything? :o I'm confused....

DJMaxtedo, helps out sometimes.

rob1963
20-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I was reading my first ever posts when I joined the forum and I actually cringed. To compare to when I first joined over a year and a half ago.

And the first ever thing I said to you in response to your first post was that you had a special offer on your website witn an expiry date of 31st February!

Rob got some male attention aswell :)

:jawdrop:

A1DL
20-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I've got PLI under my own name, but I usually have an adult with me anyway.

Does the policy stipulate an adult must be in attendance, Ollie?
I thought all policies did.

Charlie Brown
20-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Ollie is with the musics union I believe.

OllieJames
20-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Does the policy stipulate an adult must be in attendance, Ollie?
I thought all policies did.

No. Will double check as i'm ringing up to re-new it, but i'm sure it doesn't.

Ollie is with the musicians union I believe.

Yeah, I am.

daz226
20-07-2009, 03:00 PM
charlie your first post are awesome ha ha ha iremember them comming in thick and fast when you first joined my how times have changed

Dance FX
20-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Phill is 14 and does weddings almost every week during the summer months.

He gets fantastic feedback from the couples, I have a letter that arrived just last week saying 'Absolutely Brilliant! thank you for everything you did to help make our wedding special. Phillip you were great!

He is professional and mature in his approach to the customers and guests and his music knowledge is amazing.

Myself or my husband drive and stay during the event but I think thats a responsible thing to do.

charlie
20-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I think age had nothing to do with someones technical ability or professionalism as a DJ in the slightest.
I started at 14 like alot of people on here and now at 21 am a full time professional club and mobile DJ.

A 30 year old might look the business when they turn up for someones wedding, fully sign written van, really nice kit BUT this could his first gig and could be a disaster. Compared to a DJ of say 17 who has been DJing for 2 years and has alot more experience and can put on a great night.

I have had to deal with people who dont take you very seriously when you arrive at a gig due to your age and are so shocked to see that you can actually do a great job.

I still have it sometimes now and im 21! I have never had bad feedback from a gig and definitely not had bad feedback because of my age.

I wish all the younger DJs all the best and at 21 im running myself a nice little full time business :)

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 03:23 PM

When you get enquiries do you let the potential customer know the D.J is 14 years old?

He is professional and mature in his approach to the customers and guests and his music knowledge is amazing.

Kids certainly are maturing quick these days.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 03:52 PM

When you get enquiries do you let the potential customer know the D.J is 14 years old?

I was going to ask the same!

And also, out of interest, where does the work come from if he is working and doing weddings every week?

secretDISCO
20-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Well said that man...
On saying that i started at the age of 13 and I'm sure i did my first wedding that year.
I think if you dont appear nervous and have the confidence to stand and introduce the bride and groom to the floor and continue to read the crowd then thats fine and dandy.
I also take Bellshill point of "would i have a 16 year old jock do my wedding"
my feelings would probaly be the same as his
Horses for courses i suppose.

Dance FX
20-07-2009, 04:10 PM

I don't normally have to as they have either met him at a wedding fair, have been given his details from a previous customer or seen his web site which clearly states he is only a teenager and has photos of him on it.

Customers get the chance to meet Phill before they book and discuss their requirements with him and in two years of him DJ'ing he has only had one couple who didn't book.

(I do actually say he is 15 now as his birthday is only a couple of weeks away)

It's a shame that people pass judgments on these lads without even meeting them. I admit some young DJ's may not be up to scratch but others are, and should be encouraged. Phill takes his business very seriously, he has taken business studies at school to help him with the business side of things, done a DJ training course and is lucky enough to have a career well established when he leaves school. All positive in my view in this present climate.

SC Events
20-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Good Luck to the lad! :beer1:

like I said in post #2, if your competant and mature, then I don't see why there should be a problem.

If I was getting married, I would be slightly jubious of booking a 16 year old DJ, but if I was shown a video and had seen a set-up of their rig in photos AND possibly be allowed to pop my head in at a function to have a listen, then I would book them, if I thought they were good enough.

Age is only a number.....................:D

Daryll
20-07-2009, 04:24 PM
What about older people that start up with the discos that have never done them before?

Is that any different to a young lad? Although an older dj may know what was popular in say 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s but not fully clued up on the latest chart music. Whereas a younger dj should know this quite well.

Not saying thats always the case but just something to think about as well.

How very true.

I am 52 and have done three weddings , I like to think I have a broad musical knowledge , but I am still on a steep learning curve , I will take advice from anyone who cares to share , be they 16 or 60.

Daryll

Shaun
20-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I think the keyword here is 'experience'.

If I was to hire a DJ for my wedding, I'd want a DJ that has been trading many years and has many years of wedding experience behind him, this is something that young DJs would be lacking in.

Additionally, an older DJ will have more music experience, as he's lived through more decades of music.

I don't expect everyone to share my views or opinions, but that's what I'd base my decision on when booking a DJ for my wedding.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 04:42 PM
that's what I'd base my decision on when booking a DJ for my wedding.

Congratulations Shaun. :sj:

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 04:50 PM
(I do actually say he is 15 now as his birthday is only a couple of weeks away)

Why do you do that if age isn't a factor?

Dance FX
20-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Why do you do that if age isn't a factor?

Because he will be 15 when they are looking to book. Saying my son is 14 but will be 15 sounds a bit daft.

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Because he will be 15 when they are looking to book. Saying my son is 14 but will be 15 sounds a bit daft.

Not really, if the question does arise which it looks like it does and the customer says "How old is the D.J" and you say 15 when he's not, that's a lie. So saying he's 14 but he'll be 15 on the date you require is just the truth, not daft at all.

Shaun
20-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Congratulations Shaun. :sj:

'WHEN' being the operative word. :d

sted
20-07-2009, 05:19 PM
okay but how would someone gain that experience if everyone who booked a dj had the opinion.

A1DL
20-07-2009, 05:20 PM

But if age isn't an issue, why mention it at all?

In my experience, occasionally a customer may indicate preference for a younger / older DJ, and we will accommodate this.

Also, very occasionally (in fact this happened last week), a customer may ask how old their DJ is, after the job is allocated. If, as in last week's example, the DJ was 31, but would be 32 come the time of the function, I would advise my customer the DJ's current age, as opposed to checking to see if there was a birthday between the time of being asked the question and the function.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I started djing when i was 16. I started helping out when i was 14, but the only thing i was allowed to do was carry equipment, find songs, take requests and deal with people, observe my step dad and listed to what was being played.

I think this experience was invaluable. Even when i started to dj, my step dad was always there. I could have done the job on my own, and he knew it too, but it just wasnt done that way.

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 05:29 PM

In my experience, occasionally a customer may indicate preference for a younger / older DJ, and we will accommodate this.

Also, very occasionally (in fact this happened last week), a customer may ask how old their DJ is, after the job is allocated. If, as in last week's example, the DJ was 31, but would be 32 come the time of the function, I would advise my customer the DJ's current age, as opposed to checking to see if there was a birthday between the time of being asked the question and the function.

Exactly my point

Shaun
20-07-2009, 05:31 PM
okay but how would someone gain that experience if everyone who booked a dj had the opinion.

I guess they'd find it difficult to gain experience if everyone that was looking to book a wedding DJ held the same opinion as me. Luckily, not everyone that is booking a wedding DJ will have the same opinion. :d

Babybob
20-07-2009, 05:43 PM

I think there is a big difference in people's perception of someone who is 14 rather than 15 but not so when you get to 31-32.

Young people mature quite quickly around the 14,15 and 16 year old mark so the 1 year difference (in perception) is greater than in someone who is 31 going on 32. (If you see what I mean).;)

Look at that young golfer who recently played in the Open, he was 16, his age didn't matter because he was good enough. Pele and Rooney are a couple of others in the sporting world alongside the likes of Michael Jackson in the entertainment industry.

The bottom line is if you are looking for someone to perform at the best day of your life (or so you tell the wife) you will check them out first or at least get some feedback from other sources.

A1DL
20-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I think there is a big difference in people's perception of someone who is 14 rather than 15

really? :confused:

perhaps I'm getting old, but I doubt I could tell the difference and my perception of both ages is they are young teenagers.

However I would say there is a perception difference at 16 and 18.

Babybob
20-07-2009, 06:01 PM
It happens at various ages around that area, some kids shoot up in height quite quickly and at different ages, others can look a lot older than what they are while others are far more mature.

There is no definitive answer but in this case I feel that by saying he is 15, rather than 14 may give potential customers that little bit more comfort in knowing that he is a bit more mature. I would go on and say that he has been a DJ for x amount of years as well as mentioning his age.

Just my 2p.

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I cant believe the negativity being shown here for our future ambassoders, it has been said already by many that if they can do the job whats the problem?

Whatever happend to encouraging young talent and giving these guys a chance.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Perception is the difference. At 14 you cant have a full time job....but can go out and dj on your own. Its preposterous. At 14 i could cook (exceptionally well - and did end up as a chef), but i couldnt get in a kitchen and work unsupervised. Why should it be any different for a mobile dj?

I really do applaud the youngsters on here for going out and doing it, but there needs to be the same level of professionalis required for every other job. Remember at 14, they are only one year past having a paper round. Then you have all the child work laws concerning working time etc. Just because they are "self-employed" (in commas because legally they cannot be) does that make them exempt?

OllieJames
20-07-2009, 06:11 PM
It happens at various ages around that area, some kids shoot up in height quite quickly and at different ages, others can look a lot older than what they are while others are far more mature.

There is no definitive answer but in this case I feel that by saying he is 15, rather than 14 may give potential customers that little bit more comfort in knowing that he is a bit more mature. I would go on and say that he has been a DJ for x amount of years as well as mentioning his age.

Just my 2p.

I'm 16 and i'm 6ft 2", with a (what I'd like to think) mature voice. When I speak to clients on the phone they don't know how old I am, and when asked (which has happened over the phone and in person) when i tell them my age, they can't believe how mature I am for my age.

I cant believe the negativity being shown here for our future ambassadors, it has been said already by many that if they can do the job whats the problem?

Following on from the BabyBob quote, I believe that if the DJ is experienced enough - they can handle the gig. However, I would be sceptical about hiring a younger DJ, unless I had seen them gig before.

Most of my bookings are through word of mouth and have been from people that have been at events i had DJ-ed at.

I hasten to add that I've never done a wedding, and don't plan to for some time.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Your Ok Ollie...at 16 you can legally work. Its the unsupervised under 16s i have issues with. If they are supervised then fair play :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 06:13 PM
I cant believe the negativity being shown here for our future ambassoders, it has been said already by many that if they can do the job whats the problem?

I can't see much negativity - only lots of people being realistic with their views.

You work for an agency - how many 14, 15 and 16 year olds do you have doing weddings week in, week out?

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 06:16 PM

The youngsters are massively encouraged on here what you talking about, this is about a specific sector.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 06:18 PM
The youngsters are massively encouraged on here

Agreed. :)

OllieJames
20-07-2009, 06:20 PM
The youngsters are massively encouraged on here what you talking about, this is about a specific sector.

Agreed. :)

You two guys should be proud. At 16 (and I'm trying not to be patronising!) you are doing superbly well. The show is immaculately presented. Your choice of music seems to be good and the maturity in which everything is presented is outstanding.

I don't really know what I expect to see from lads your age, but you and a few others in your age group are really starting to change my mind about the up and coming future of the business.

I really wish that some of you guys lived nearer to me, yourselves and Charlie included, as I'd love to have you work for me and help you with a bit more experience etc

Well done.

:agree:

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 06:22 PM
And in fact, Charlie is coming to stay with me and my family for a couple of days to gain a bit of experience and pick up a few tips, so if that ain't encouragement, I don't know what is!

A1DL
20-07-2009, 06:26 PM
There is no negativity Gavin, I for one encourage young talent and believe in developing young DJs, however this must be done responsibly.

One of our busiest and most requested DJs, now in his early 20s, applied at 16/17, and was asked to contact us just before his 18th birthday to arrange his PAT visit, which was done a week before his 18th birthday. He has never looked back.

I'm not one to dampen young enthusiasm, however what I find worrying is unsupervised children doing adult jobs, particularly when they are not insured to do so.

Jiggles
20-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I have had the usual "oh I though you were allot older." Scenario. As Darren said to me last time I spoke to him "A Scottish Barry White!" :D No ones seems to be phased by it. If you turn up, put out a good show and entertain who cares if you you are 14 or 40! You have done your job properly and they have loved it!

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 07:00 PM
But legally, should a 14 year old be doing the job at all on their own? Thats my argument. :)

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 07:05 PM
So whats the answer to all of this then?

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I think that there is the hyopthetical and moral answer concerning the ability of the young dj. Then theres the legal aspect as to whether they should be doing what they do.

Babybob
20-07-2009, 07:18 PM
There is a legal answer and an answer which is illegal but happens regularly in this industry because it's not regulated.

No-one is disputing the talents of the younger generation, merely the experience and legality.

Ooops Dynamic beat me to it.

Jiggles
20-07-2009, 07:18 PM
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Workandcareers/Yourrightsandresponsibilitiesatwork/DG_174530
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Workandcareers/Yourrightsandresponsibilitiesatwork/DG_066272

HTH

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 07:21 PM
So Callum, 14, 15 and 16 year olds CANNOT work after 7pm on any day. That screws up alot of youngsters on here then. Which is a shame :(

Jiggles
20-07-2009, 07:23 PM
IF that's what it says that's what it says :(

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Are the rules diferent if you are self employed??

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Working hours
There are rules that regulate what times of the day you can work and for how long. These are different depending on your age.

14 year olds
There are a lot of rules that control working hours of children, but the basic ones are:

during term time, you can only work for two hours on weekdays and Sundays
during term time, you can only work for five hours on Saturdays
during a school holiday, you can work for up to five hours on a week day or a Saturday
during a school holiday, you can't work for more than two hours on a Sunday
you cannot work before 7.00 am or after 7.00 pm on any day
15 and 16 year olds
If you're 15 or 16 and are working while you're still at school, your rights are almost identical to those of 14 year olds. However, you are allowed to work for up to eight hours on Saturdays or during the school holidays.

16 and 17 year olds
If you're no longer at school and you're 16 or 17, the law refers to you as a 'young worker'. Because you will no longer be at school, there are fewer restrictions on when you can work and for how long, but there are still some rules.

Because you've reached school leaving age, you may find that employers may be more willing to offer you part-time or full-time employment. You're also not limited to just 'light work', so you'll be allowed to work in places like a busy shop, restaurant kitchen or as a waiter or waitress.

That opens a can of worms really, but like Javlin says are the self employed rules different.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes...a 14 year old cannot be self employed!

Javlingames
20-07-2009, 08:21 PM
what about a 16 year old?

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 08:28 PM
After a quick look around a very vague HMCR website, and yahoo answers. It seems that a person of any age can be "self employed" but a youngster cannot self employ themselves, so the parent/guardian has to take on the responsibility. Im guessing that that gos as far as ensuring they are not working alone, as specified under current child protection legislation.

Kernow
20-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Going right back to the OP, If (and it's a very big IF ;) ) I am invited to remarry, I shall without hesitation book Charlie Brown for the job, knowing that all our guests will have a night to remember (for all the right reasons !!) :thumbs_up:

16 year olds are legally able, occasionally requiring written consent, to marry, or enter a civil partnership (;) ) so why are they not capable of providing the entertainment for someone elses ??

At the end of the day fellow DJ's opinions are irrelevant, if the customer is happy & satisfied then that's all that matters :)

DJWilson
20-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Going right back to the OP, If (and it's a very big IF ;) ) I am invited to remarry, I shall without hesitation book Charlie Brown for the job, knowing that all our guests will have a night to remember (for all the right reasons !!) :thumbs_up:

16 year olds are legally able, occasionally requiring written consent, to marry, or enter a civil partnership (;) ) so why are they not capable of providing the entertainment for someone elses ??

At the end of the day fellow DJ's opinions are irrelevant, if the customer is happy & satisfied then that's all that matters :)

Good point :)

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Thats 16...but what about under?

Kernow
20-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Thats 16...but what about under?

I choose therefore not to offer anything other than the above

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I disagree Robert. This forum and Association is (as far as im aware) about promoting best practises and lifting the image of the Mobile Disco Industry.

That extends to promoting working within the letter of the Law. If someone came on and said they dont have PLI, PAT or Produb when its needed, they would be corrected as its important regardless, as to whether they have happy customers.

Why should this be any different? If the law says "XXX" should we not be promoting this?

Kernow
20-07-2009, 10:01 PM
With respect Steve, the original post asked about the experience of young DJ's which I think has been confused with their much more important ability to handle weddings.
I am convinced that many of the younger members are more than capable of demonstrating this.

The legal aspects are obviously a consideration but have been introduced into this thread, where they perhaps might warrant a thread of their own ?
Of course we (collectively) promote best practice, but as you point out PLI & PAT are only required in certain circumstances and are not yet legal requirements. I back 100% the campaign to make them so but until then....... ????
Similarly Produb is only legally required for particular types of media transfer and professional performance and not as a 'blanket' for all.

Surely we should be concentrating on those who besmirch the reputation of the industry and not discouraging the ones who are striving to represent the commendable, legal & respectable future of Mobile DJ'ing ?

:)

DJ Jules
20-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Personally, I'd feel nervous about booking an unsupervised 16yr old to DJ at my wedding, but at the risk of echoing everyone else's opinion, it's more about experience and attitude than age really. The guy I did book for my wedding was booked because we'd seen him in the local pub and liked his attitude and personality - the same criteria could have been true with a DJ of any age.

Legally, I'm still not sure how you stand if you're 16. I thought I read somewhere the other day that you're not legally allowed to enter into any kind of contract until you're 18 (when I used to do Bouncy Castles I had to get 16/17yr olds to put their parents on the phone to act as the booking contact as I couldn't get their children to legally enter into a contract). From memory the advice was to do this because you couldn't take anyone under 18 through the small claims court, meaning you had no way of enforcing payment if they decided not to pay up (and that included payment for any damages caused to equipment, etc). Bear in mind the same thing would apply if you booked a 16yr old for your wedding and they did a runner with your money (especially since legally they can't be self employed so in theory they should be offering services under a company banner without being employed by an "adult" - in other words, any contract you did sign with a 16yr old acting by themselves would just be rubbish).

I don't know how Charlie/Ollie have got themselves set up, but in theory they should be employees of someone over 18. That person should be a sole trader of "the Company" and hold public and employers liability insurance (because you have to have employers liability, even if the employee is a volunteer or a family member).

This is just my understanding of the law as it stands, and I really hope I am wrong and someone can set me straight, because it really complicates matters for anyone who wants to start young...

And in fact, Charlie is coming to stay with me and my family for a couple of days to gain a bit of experience and pick up a few tips, so if that ain't encouragement, I don't know what is!

Now that's just agist - I'm 31 and I'd kill for an opportunity to do that :)

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Now that's just agist - I'm 31 and I'd kill for an opportunity to do that :)

Julian

I'll add you to the list..:p :D

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 10:12 PM
With respect Steve, the original post asked about the experience of young DJ's which I think has been confused with their much more important ability to handle weddings.
I am convinced that many of the younger members are more than capable of demonstrating this.

The legal aspects are obviously a consideration but have been introduced into this thread, where they perhaps might warrant a thread of their own ?
Of course we (collectively) promote best practice, but as you point out PLI & PAT are only required in certain circumstances and are not yet legal requirements. I back 100% the campaign to make them so but until then....... ????
Similarly Produb is only legally required for particular types of media transfer and professional performance and not as a 'blanket' for all.

Surely we should be concentrating on those who besmirch the reputation of the industry and not discouraging the ones who are striving to represent the commendable, legal & respectable future of Mobile DJ'ing ?

I disagree that it should be a seperate thread. Granted it started out with a 16 year old, and unders, ability to preform at a wedding. But if the law states that they cannot work then their ability to perform is therefore removed (all be it hypothetically, because they do).

I agree that we should strive to represent the commendable, legal and respectable future of Mobile DJ'ing, but if that means that they are currently operating illegally, then the means do not meet the end in my book.

DJWilson
20-07-2009, 10:17 PM
The gov' moan at teenagers hanging round streets etc then when we go out to earn some money for a night or days work we cant, thats just taking the :Censored:

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Because your all supposed to be studeous young chaps getting an education and early nights Nathan ;)

Ive no objections to having youngsters like yourself working, i just dont believe that it should be alone below 16 years old.

And for the record, i would thoroughly check out and dj before i booked them for anything, be it 16 or 60 because you can be a aweful dj regardless of age :)

DJWilson
20-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Because your all supposed to be studeous young chaps getting an education and early nights Nathan ;)

Im not at school anymore unless I get in form:p

early nights! Its the holidays:D

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Nobody is discouraging anybody

Kernow
20-07-2009, 10:47 PM
because you can be a aweful dj regardless of age :)

Is that awesome ?? :D

or just awful ? :eek:

;) :beer1: :beer1:

Nobody is discouraging anybody

I hope we're not Mark ;) , but lacking full confidence in their ability and stating they shouldn't be doing it at all sails pretty close ? :confused:

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I think that this thread is going to be bias towards our our young members anyway because they have demonstrated sound grounding, But Rovert, would you pick a number out of the yellow pages and happily book with them knowing it was a 14 year old, and no other information?

DJ Jules
21-07-2009, 06:27 AM
I think that this thread is going to be bias towards our our young members anyway because they have demonstrated sound grounding, But Rovert, would you pick a number out of the yellow pages and happily book with them knowing it was a 14 year old, and no other information?

I'd happily do it knowing it was a 14yr old who is going to be accompanied by an experienced adult (as in the case already mentioned here where the 14/15yr old is part of a larger show).

However, I'd feel really nervous about doing it if someone dropped them at the venue and drove off and they were operating without any guidance at all (partly because of their ability to deal with any situations which might arise, and partly because they will be working illegally in one aspect or another and my ability to get any kind of compensation from them if they screw it up would be limited by law - in short because I'd be taking a big risk).

Julian

andyw
21-07-2009, 07:39 AM

i've been going out with my son since he was about 15 ,most bookings were done through word of mouth, we would always explain ,who would be at the gig with him and that he was the dj. (people that booked him wanted him, i was with him for his safety and to help with older types of music). we kept away from weddings until one day we had a knock on the door from a bride who had been let down a couple of weeks before her big day and was struggling to find a replacement,so we steped in and done it. i do think that most youngsters should avoid weddings until they have expirience on all other types of events and have decent gear with full back up(but really that applies to anyone any age starting up)

they are indeed but are told to learn to walk before they can run.

DJ Jules
21-07-2009, 08:08 AM
i've been going out with my son since he was about 15 ,most bookings were done through word of mouth, we would always explain, who would be at the gig with him and that he was the dj. (people that booked him wanted him, i was with him for his safety and to help with older types of music).

Now, I'd have had no problem at all booking your son.

i do think that most youngsters should avoid weddings until they have expirience on all other types of events and have decent gear with full back up (but really that applies to anyone any age starting up)

I agree, weddings are just that bit more important. I stayed away from doing weddings myself until I had at least a bit of experience under my belt, and then I took a friend who has had years of experience as a wedding DJ with me for my first one.

Julian

CRAZY K
21-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I'd happily do it knowing it was a 14yr old who is going to be accompanied by an experienced adult (as in the case already mentioned here where the 14/15yr old is part of a larger show).

However, I'd feel really nervous about doing it if someone dropped them at the venue and drove off and they were operating without any guidance at all (partly because of their ability to deal with any situations which might arise, and partly because they will be working illegally in one aspect or another and my ability to get any kind of compensation from them if they screw it up would be limited by law - in short because I'd be taking a big risk).

Julian

Im not sure about illegal?

Whether a Contract between anyone under 18 and the customer is valid im not sure.:confused:

But PLI isnt available to under 18s and only the parent could take out cover and then it would only operate if the parent was there running things as the DJ.

Imagine the reaction of the Insurance Company if faced with a claim when someone under 18 was in charge of the Disco.:eek:

Another claim turned down;)

This aspect alone makes me think its inappropriate.

Hotels of course are likely to insist on PLI these days more than ever.

Age is nothing do with ability--its the lack of customer protection.

CRAZY K

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Im not sure about illegal?

Whether a Contract between anyone under 18 and the customer is valid im not sure.:confused:

But PLI isnt available to under 18s and only the parent could take out cover and then it would only operate if the parent was there running things as the DJ.

Imagine the reaction of the Insurance Company if faced with a claim when someone under 18 was in charge of the Disco.:eek:

Another claim turned down;)

This aspect alone makes me think its inappropriate.

Hotels of course are likely to insist on PLI these days more than ever.

Age is nothing do with ability--its the lack of customer protection.

CRAZY K

What?

I've got PLI and i'm 16?

Dance FX
21-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Phill has had PLI for the last two years, I even contacted the underwriters myself to check it out.

Myself or my husband ALWAYS stay with him at every gig no matter what it is. I even go so far as to stay with my older son when he takes on as gig that Phill is unable to cover.

DJ Jules
21-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I've got PLI and i'm 16?

Through the Musicians Guild wasn't it? I get the feeling they have some kind of special arrangment for entertainers of all types.

When I get a spare minute away from all these end of School Disco's I'm going to spend some time looking into this subject a bit more as I'm sure there's all sorts of restrictions protecting minors which limits their liability in certain situations and prevents certain types of legal action from being taken against them. I'm interested to know exactly what as my Neice (15) and Nephew (17) both occasionally come out with me on some of the more family friendly gigs and it'd be good to know where I'd stand if they decided they'd like to go out by themselves.

Julian

DJ Jules
21-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Myself or my husband ALWAYS stay with him at every gig no matter what it is. I even go so far as to stay with my older son when he takes on as gig that Phill is unable to cover.

Is that a condition of the insurance? Just out of interest, who is your insurance with?

Julian

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Phill has had PLI for the last two years, I even contacted the underwriters myself to check it out.

I usually have a parent with me too, or a friend who is 19.

Through the Musicians Guild wasn't it? I get the feeling they have some kind of special arrangment for entertainers of all types.

Musicians Union, yes.

andyw
21-07-2009, 09:40 AM
jamie was with mu as well upto leaving college they do very good rates for students

Dance FX
21-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Is that a condition of the insurance? Just out of interest, who is your insurance with?

Julian

No, I just wouldn't leave him alone at a gig. There are a few posts on this thread mentioning under 16's being left alone at gigs, I just wanted to make it clear thet Phill isn't one of them.

Insurance is with MU

Charlie Brown
21-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I wish Phil would become a member of the forum. I would like to find out more about him and actually hear from the guy himself!

This thread is becoming a tad unreasonable now. I don't understand how some people who DJ'd at a young age, yet now disagree with the idea of young DJ's.

A lot of the members on this forum encourage the younger generation but some (after reading this thread) appear to be VERY anti it and are nit picking at everything. Do some people not like the fact that a 16 year old can potentially do just as good as a job as yourself?

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I wish Phil would become a member of the forum. I would like to find out more about him and actually hear from the guy himself!

This thread is becoming a tad unreasonable now. I don't understand how some people who DJ'd at a young age, yet now disagree with the idea of young DJ's.

A lot of the members on this forum encourage the younger generation but some (after reading this thread) appear to be VERY anti it and are nit picking at everything. Do some people not like the fact that a 16 year old can potentially do just as good as a job as yourself?

Yeah, i'd like to hear from Phil himself as well, would be cool to have another younger member on the forum.

There's bits about the quote that I agree with and other bits that I would change slightly.

I don't believe some people are against the idea of younger DJs, but I do think that some people aren't keen on the fact that although they're a fair bit older than us (Charlie, Callum, Me, Nathan etc) our age group can do just a good a job at functions. Although, I do believe a certain degree of experience is required to do weddings (however, that is my opinion).

Just for the record, I do have PLI, and i'm under 18 - and didn't have an issue getting it.

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2009, 11:07 AM

If this is (partly) aimed at myself then your way off the mark.

I have no issues with a 16 year old going out and working by themselves, as the law allowes it, there may still be issues with contracts PLI (not for Ollie :) ) etc, but thats a different matter.

My issue is with the UNDER 16s who go out UNACCOMPANIED.

CRAZY K
21-07-2009, 11:14 AM
No, I just wouldn't leave him alone at a gig. There are a few posts on this thread mentioning under 16's being left alone at gigs, I just wanted to make it clear thet Phill isn't one of them.

Insurance is with MU

How does that work--do they insure people under 18?

CRAZY K

DanceFX_Jnr
21-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Charlie

I am a member of the forums but normally just read as most of the questions I have are easily answered with the search button

I spent a year helping out another Dj friend of mine before I started weddings to gain experience and use his techniques when I work.

I am happy to answwer any questions you have for me :)

Phill

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 11:19 AM
How does that work--do they insure people under 18?

CRAZY K

Yes, because i'm a member too.

Charlie Brown
21-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Charlie

I am a member of the forums but normally just read as most of the questions I have are easily answered with the search button

I spent a year helping out another Dj friend of mine before I started weddings to gain experience and use his techniques when I work.

I am happy to answwer any questions you have for me :)

Phill

I don't have any questions for you....just wish you would join in and contribute to the forum etc. :) Maybe you could give advice and learn a thing or two...:)

Shaun
21-07-2009, 11:20 AM

I can only answer for myself here...

I DJ'd (sp?) at weddings at 16, but I stated that I wouldn't want a 16 year old to DJ my wedding. I Don't disagree with young DJs, quite the opposite in fact. The number of young professional DJs we have in this forum is outstanding, and they are the future of our industry. I just wouldn't want a young DJ at my wedding as I'd be looking for someone with more experience. It's nothing to do with age....just experience!

I've no doubt in my mind that a 16 year old could do an excellent job as a DJ, I know I did when I was that age. The simple fact is that they WOULD NOT have the level of experience I would be looking for if I were to hire a DJ for something as important as my wedding. I'd personally want to hire someone closer to my own age with many years of wedding experience under their belt.

I don't think that's being 'Anti-Youth' or nit picking. There will be many factors that come into play when a client decides which things are important to them when choosing a service provider, all I've done is state one of the factors that would be important to me.

Come to think if it....on reflection, I'd hire a band instead of a DJ. :D

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Come to think if it....on reflection, I'd hire a band instead of a DJ. :D

To play for a whole hour and a half then leave your guests in silence...... :D

Shaun
21-07-2009, 11:27 AM
To play for a whole hour and a half then leave your guests in silence...... :D

Don't be silly. I'd have an ipod plugged into an active speaker for the rest of the evening. :ph34r:

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't be silly. I'd have an ipod plugged into an active speaker for the rest of the evening. :ph34r:

Phew, thank god for that! :D

Mark Wild
21-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I think the general jist of the thread "Wedding DJ's 16 & Under?" is being lost. I don't see anyone doubting the skills of the younger generation as Mobile Discos/D.Js. It was a thread specifically about weddings and general opinions of forum members about kids 16 & under doing them. Personal opinions which everyone is entitled to, there is no right or wrong.

Excalibur
21-07-2009, 12:11 PM

Charlie, I'm hoping the general disquiet is not with the age of the DJ, more his legality. ;) I fear I may have spotted a touch of " Do as I say, not as I do " though. :(

I have no issues with a 16 year old going out and working by themselves, as the law allowes it, there may still be issues with contracts PLI (not for Ollie :) ) etc, but thats a different matter.

My issue is with the UNDER 16s who go out UNACCOMPANIED.
Pretty much agreeing with my views above, I'd say.

Hi Charlie

Phill
Feel free to join in the discussions Young Man. Most of us are quite friendly. :D :D :D

I think the general jist of the thread "Wedding DJ's 16 & Under?" is being lost. I don't see anyone doubting the skills of the younger generation as Mobile Discos/D.Js. It was a thread specifically about weddings and general opinions of forum members about kids 16 & under doing them. Personal opinions which everyone is entitled to, there is no right or wrong.

I hope everybody spotted that last bit, cos it's bang on.

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I hope everybody spotted that last bit, cos it's bang on.

Ahh, well that's where you are wrong.

:D :p

Jiggles
21-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Its kind of being ageist really. You wouldn't go "I'm not booking you because you are a women and you will only play girly songs." (Just an example! :D) So you wouldn't do the same to someone who's 16 or younger!

Excalibur
21-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Its kind of being ageist really. You wouldn't go "I'm not booking you because you are a women and you will only play girly songs." (Just an example! :D) So you wouldn't do the same to someone who's 16 or younger!

Hey Callum, it's a two edged sword mate. ;) When you get to be doddery and decrepit like me, you'll get kids refusing to book you cos they don't feel you're hip and trendy enough. ;) :( :( :( :( :(

Jiggles
21-07-2009, 12:43 PM
:lol: Thats another thread that! :D

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Callum.....with all due respect. Have a look at Charlies thread concerning a booking he has where they want 1990s trance and funky house. Now in the 90s this was not a small niche genre, they were huge and someone who lived through it will have a good idea on what to play (for the record, charlie has done the right thing by asking). Ins not being agist by having someone who will know their music inside out.

Young djs in general have it hard (even us lot in our 20s) at all functions where there are a mix of ages because you have to be able to play a bit of everything, and have knowledge of a whole lot more! If some one came up to you and said "Do you have that Northen Soul track that goes like...xxx (sings lyrics)" Could you accomodate them? I would find it difficult myself, and ive played a few Northern Sould sets.

Just think in 30 years time,you lot will be sat here saying that your current youngsters dont have a clue about the 2000s music you grew up with :)

My grandad still does a bit of djing and he is 70. Using i inch singles, playing 40s, 50,s and 60s at the golf club dinner dance. he doesnt even consider himself a dj now, but they cant fiond anyone else with his level of knowledge or music...and i definately dont want the job :D

Charlie Brown
21-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes that is all correct but as many people on here know, I love my old music and know a fair bit about it, apart from the few areas I have little interest in.

Excalibur
21-07-2009, 12:57 PM
My grandad still does a bit of djing and he is 70. Using i inch singles, playing 40s, 50,s and 60s at the golf club dinner dance. he doesnt even consider himself a dj now, but they cant fiond anyone else with his level of knowledge or music...and i definately dont want the job :D

Should I put a quote in? :confused: Sounds like I'm just the sort of young person they need. :D :D

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes that is all correct but as many people on here know, I love my old music and know a fair bit about it, apart from the few areas I have little interest in.

I know :) - It was just more of an example that we all have areas of music that we arnt as strong on as we should be. I posted up a few weeks ago about Charty Rock & Metal. I know plenty of rock/metal...but couldnt think what was in the charts

Should I put a quote in? :confused: Sounds like I'm just the sort of young person they need. :D :D

Can you travel to cumbria? :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Do you know a fair bit about it though Charlie or do you know about the stuff that lots of us use when DJing? There is a difference. ;)

Charlie Brown
21-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Do you know a fair bit about it though Charlie or do you know about the stuff that lots of us use when DJing? There is a difference. ;)

Exactly Darren! I have been at a friend's birthday house party for the past 24 hours and this thread has been bothering me so much I was even checking up on at it at 3 in the morning. Every hour I would come and have a read.

Sometimes I take offence to things like this and have had to re-strain myself from having ago and then regretting it.

I was in the shower and had every intention of saying what you just have. For the standard "joe blogs" wedding, I firmly believe I could pull of a standard cheesy disco. I play what "joe blogs" like to hear....with the odd unique song thrown in.

If I was asked to do a specialist night, like the 90's trance, then I do struggle so I ask you guys for help. I feel a bit in adequate for even asking now.

A lot of you know I'm a bit of a drama queen etc but when I firmly believe I can do something (doesn't happen very often) then I can take a bit of offence to it. I didn't go to my apprentice interview (foolishly) because I didn't have enough faith in myself that I could do it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Exactly Darren!

Actually I was questioning the depth of your knowledge Charlie. We had a conversation about it the other day when I was listening to stuff on Spotify - rememeber?

I wouldn't expect someone of 16 to be expert in all areas which is why I am questioning your "I know a fair bit about it" quote. :)

Charlie Brown
21-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Ah, exactly! I know I only know what I know. I know that a "typical 16 year old" (like myself) will think that because I know who Billy Ocean and Little Richard are then I will THINK I know music inside out from the 50's to today. How wrong could I be.

When you gave me that mini music quiz ;) it actually made me open my eyes and think "jeees, there is a lot more music out there then I actually think."

My argument was, for a standard "joe blogs" wedding then my music knowledge I believe would be surfice?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2009, 04:40 PM
My argument was, for a standard "joe blogs" wedding then my music knowledge I believe would be surfice?

Difficult to answer. I'll let you know after next week. ;)

andyw
21-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Exactly Darren! I have been at a friend's birthday house party for the past 24 hours and this thread has been bothering me so much I was even checking up on at it at 3 in the morning. Every hour I would come and have a read.

A lot of you know I'm a bit of a drama queen

agism alert
i thought all teenagers olds were drama queens:ner: at least the ones i have been living with are, thnk harry enfield and kevin and perry
come on charlie get a life:) :jumping:

i don't think anyone is doubting your ability or anyone else's abilty to dj at 16i certainly wouldn't,it's just weddings should only be done by someone with expirience, whether your 15 or 50.

Excalibur
21-07-2009, 04:55 PM
i don't think anyone is doubting your ability or anyone else's abilty to dj at 16i certainly wouldn't,it's just weddings should only be done by someone with expirience, whether your 15 or 50.

Not so. Depends on so many factors. Some weddings are ultra formal and regimented, with strict adherence to Wedding Etiquette, and others are a wild :beer1: up. Sixteen year old DJ not too good at the first maybe, but could be superb at the second.

Honestly, I despair when people say "Weddings" as if every one is exactly the same. They're not.

andyw
21-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Not so. Depends on so many factors. Some weddings are ultra formal and regimented, with strict adherence to Wedding Etiquette, and others are a wild :beer1: up. Sixteen year old DJ not too good at the first maybe, but could be superb at the second.

Honestly, I despair when people say "Weddings" as if every one is exactly the same. They're not.

while i agree that just like any function, each wedding is different i stil firmly believed they should not be done by anyone inexpirience

DJ Jules
22-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Have a look at Charlies thread concerning a booking he has where they want 1990s trance and funky house. Now in the 90s this was not a small niche genre, they were huge and someone who lived through it will have a good idea on what to play (for the record, charlie has done the right thing by asking).

Ironically I've just been asked for exactly this by a client for a wedding on the 7th August... I lived through that era and I'm actually struggling a bit (the majority of the guests are about 5-8yrs older than me which puts them right in the middle of it all when it kicked off in the early 90's, whereas I was a latecomer in the mid-late 90's being only 12 in 1990).

I'm going to have to look up that thread Charlie started... :D

Julian

DJMaxG
22-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Just the whole "My mummy dropped me off" and "My mummy's picking me up" lacks the maturity and professionalism I think

You could say the same about your wife or whoever collecting you from the Pub on a Friday Night! :p

I don't see the age thing as much of a problem, but I wouldn't expect as much from them as someone with years of experience.

I'd imagen that the Younger DJs are better with teenagers, as they're a similar age, and will often enough have a similar taste in music.

I am 18, and not a big fan of some of the older music, so if I was having a wedding, someone under 30 might be a better option.

It would be interesting to see peoples reaction to a female DJ turning up, someone who looks along the lines of ... I'm thinking Rita Simons / Cascada. What would the guests reactions be then, I wonder?

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Ironically I've just been asked for exactly this by a client for a wedding on the 7th August... I lived through that era and I'm actually struggling a bit (the majority of the guests are about 5-8yrs older than me which puts them right in the middle of it all when it kicked off in the early 90's, whereas I was a latecomer in the mid-late 90's being only 12 in 1990).

I'm going to have to look up that thread Charlie started... :D

Julian

Call yourself a Jules........... :D (Sorry had to get that one in)

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21224 :D

I just started getting into my dance at about 10 years old ('94) so although i couldnt go out clubbing, i still know the music.

If they just want a selection of top trance tunes then go for the really popular ones:

Age Of Love - Age Of Love
Energy 52 - Cafe Del mar
For An Angel - Paul van Dyk
Atlantic Ocean - Waterfall

etc etc

Ryu
22-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't question the level of service offered by a younger DJ, especially those on this forum, but I would think the experience of a DJ would be a consideration for someone looking for a wedding DJ...The bottom line is, even the busiest 16 year old DJ hasn't done as many weddings as a 30-40 year old.

As for the issue of "Knowing" music...its about Sequencing tracks...any tom dick or sid can read up on the big hits of any decade...but a DJ who'd actually DJ'ed during that era will know what works with what, like Dynamics point about Northern Soul...If you've lived through a genre and DJ'd during it, you'll know what works and know the subtle differences which make sense to punters who know that era too...and when you consider that most couples getting married at the moment will be in the 25-35 age bracket, the songs that make sense to them, may not make the same sense to a younger DJ...

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Well to get an idea of the service I offer you could watch my gig log?

The way I'm interpreting some of these posts now is..."you won't really be able to DJ well if you haven't lived through the decades or era"... surely that's canceling out a lot of DJ's and types of events even 25 year old DJ's can do!

Ryu
22-07-2009, 11:34 AM

The way I'm interpreting some of these posts now is..."you won't really be able to DJ well if you haven't lived through the decades or era"... surely that's canceling out a lot of DJ's and types of events even 25 year old DJ's can do!

Just to clarify, I did say I DON'T question the level of service, meaning I think its Good :)

I think your last paragraph...well that's true for any age group. I'm not suggesting that someone who didn't live through an era couldn't successfully DJ a night, but it wouldn't come as naturally as it would to a DJ who did live and DJ during that particular era.

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Ah sorry, my fault.

I fully understand where you are coming from but I then ask myself the question, "should I even DJ at all then?" I know a lot of "modern" music for example a 16th birthday but I enjoy and feel I could/would do a better job at a 40th or wedding for example.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2009, 11:52 AM

Someone else has already mentioned it Charlie, but you can't really get an idea from that. We didn't hear you on the mic introducing the bride and groom for example. We did hear your Dad saying you were making him late though. :eek:

I'm not having a pop as I think you are the future, but you can't expect people to gauge the kind of service you provide by filming a few people dancing to a few classic tunes. ;)

Javlingames
22-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I must add that of everyones gig log and sample clips i havnt see one dj using the mic yet? Older or younger.

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Maybe I'm missing the point about all this "mic technique." I don't really find it such a big fuss and I honestly don't believe it makes or breaks a night.

I would say something like...

"Good evening ladies and gentleman. It is now time to welcome the bride and groom to the dance floor as they do the first dance. You may want to grab your cameras and form a circle around them as they dance to Angels by Robbie Williams.

I don't normally have to encourage people to dance. I just think that if people want to dance then they will do? It's nice to have a laugh and joke on the mic too so folk know you are actually human and do have a sense of humor.

Javlingames
22-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Maybe I'm missing the point about all this "mic technique." I don't really find it such a big fuss and I honestly don't believe it makes or breaks a night.

I would say something like...

"Good evening ladies and gentleman. It is now time to welcome the bride and groom to the dance floor as they do the first dance. You may want to grab your cameras and form a circle around them as they dance to Angels by Robbie Williams.

I don't normally have to encourage people to dance. I just think that if people want to dance then they will do? It's nice to have a laugh and joke on the mic too so folk know you are actually human and do have a sense of humor.

I think its very important charlie, if every dj is playing love shack, valerie, celebration, i dont feel like dancing etc what makes you stand out from the other dj'? People remember DJ's who can command an audience and make themselves stand out from the rest.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Ok Charle, but in the strictest of etiquette....who else can then join the B&G?

If your asked to compere the speeches (It has happened when the best man was supposed to, but collapsed), i wat order to you announce the speakers?

To be a good wedding dj, you often have to be that bit extra than a "DJ" and know the formalities where appropriate.

Good example is the one you gave.....

I would never dream of inviting the guests to form a circle because do you think the official wedding photographer wants hundreds of people in the background.

I generally request people to take photos after the official photographer has had chance....

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2009, 12:16 PM

Oh believe me, it can do.

I think that comment sums up your lack of actual experience rather than the show you can put on. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2009, 12:17 PM
People remember DJ's who can command an audience and make themselves stand out from the rest.

Very very true.

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I would never dream of inviting the guests to form a circle because do you think the official wedding photographer wants hundreds of people in the background.

The reason I asked everyone to make a big circle (like in the gig log) was because they were so laid back they did the first dance at 11.00pm and the photographer had gone. I know that Garry asks guests to grab their camera.

I have a regular slot at a lovely bar over looking a river. They have theme nights and all the 200 people that come pretty much live on boats around Nottingham. They really enjoy them and it's unbelievable how many comments I have had like "your great and funky because you let the music do the talking. You don't feel like you have to ramble on every 5 minutes."

This is very true. I think guests are more amazed at how much I enjoy the music and actually look I'm having fun. I think this relaxes everyone and I can see in the corner of my eye people pointing and commenting.

I turn up at a venue and meet the client straight away before we begin to setup. Shake their hand and introduce myself and I also run a few things past them. I then go and setup and play background music. This is where I can play some different tunes that people will enjoy be it from the 50's or a bit of Supertramp.

I then crank the volume up a bit and start the disco. People will normally come and dance and they note me dancing away behind the desk. I think a lot of people remember me for this...they can sort of tell I have a bit of personality and that I'm different? I'm not just a DJ who stands their and play tunes....

...perfect example was of a 60th last year. I got so involved with the guests I had all 60 guests doing a train to "love train" around the cricket pitch and they then came in to do "hokey cokey." After that 60th I have had 9 repeat bookings from people who attended that party and another one in August.

I find it very hard to explain myself....

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 12:34 PM
You seem very luck Charlie to have had such laid back events.

Wait for the day when they expect you to be the consumate wedding professional...which does not include doing the hokey cokey (granted that was a 60th) :D

People expect different levels of service from a wedding dj, and whilst you may well be great at the ones you've done. There are plenty of formal events which you (obviously) havent.

One good example of this is "you turn up at the venue and meet the guests straight away". This would not happen at an ultra formal wedding. The last ultra formal wedding i done included 4 pre-meetings with the B&G. 1 at home and 3 at the venue. 1 was even a full rehersal for the speeches.

No one is questining your ability as a dj, but only experience doing weddings can make you a good wedding dj.

Do you think Lord & Lady Mud would apprecate you dancing around like a, you know what, at their daughters social event of the decade? :D

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Do you think Lord & Lady Mud would apprecate you dancing around like a, you know what, at their daughters social event of the decade? :D

What harm is it to smile and dance behind your stand? Are we not allowed to enjoy ourself? Do I stand their like a robot?

Yes I understand all of your points and I myself have done pre event meet ups with the bride and groom...but not 4!

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes enjoy yourself. But there is a time and a place. Does the vicar dance up the isle?

That is the difference between the events that you currently do...and the ones you may get in the future.

You obviously havent had bridezilla yet. Wait for it...it will come.

Javlingames
22-07-2009, 01:10 PM
What harm is it to smile and dance behind your stand? Are we not allowed to enjoy ourself? Do I stand their like a robot?

Yes I understand all of your points and I myself have done pre event meet ups with the bride and groom...but not 4!

I agree with your comment charlie, if you feel like dancing and that works for you dont stop doing it, im sure theres an old fashioned saying somewhere that goes along the lines of 'if the dj is seen to be enjoying himself this will rub off on the guests'.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 01:12 PM
But it can be taken too far Gavin.

Yes you can have fun, but you are the paid professional. Does the bar staff have a drink, because it will encourage the guests to?

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Your missing the point. I thought we were entertainers or showman? That's different to getting drunk whilst working.

Mark Wild
22-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I dance a little behind my deckstand when in full swing, not full on "the running man" but I do move quite a bit. I see nothing wrong with that no matter how formal.

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Thank you Mark! :) Respect. :approve:

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Charlie, with due respect (because i know that your good at what you do) you are missing the point.

Different functions/events require a different level of professionalism and etiqutte.

Would your local pub singer be fitting at a royal wedding? Would the show that you put on for the 60th, which is more than appropriate for that, be appropriate for a high class charity ball?

What you are doing now is great, and works. But to be a good wedding dj, you have to be able to draw back and be the utmost professional.

I dont mind a dance around, but i can think of one or two venues in the lake district where i would never get through the door again!

I agree with Mark (and have done previously) but they way you put it Charlie is that your out ther in full swing like a loon doing the conga and hokey cokey with the guests.... :)

Charlie Brown
22-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Thank you and fair enough. I'm 16 years old and I have left "posh school" and I will more than likely carry on at college. The world is my oyster and for me what I'm doing now, earning my £150-200 a night does me fine. I'm not expecting or trying to be something I'm now. I fully understand you are a completely different kettle of fish. For a start your earning a living! All I have to worry about is when I'm next going out and when I will get a girl friend. (being stereotypical)

I may appear a bit daft and have my "blonde moments" but I'm fully aware of what's going on and I know the competition out there.

At the moment I'm doing just fine. I work pretty much every weekend and the weddings I do, the client is more than happy. For isn't that what matters? I'm not fussed about Lady Jane in the nice manor.....you have to start from somewhere.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 01:30 PM
:approve: College...pah try Uni :D you blooming layabout :D

Seriously though, youve started off in the right direction, but try and get a bit of gentle reading in on wedding etiquette and build it up if you can.

You have no idea how many B&Gs dont know the correct running order of events (speeches, cutting cake etc) but would like it done "properly" all be it informally, and that way your already working your way to Lady Janes Manor and top quids :)

Pe7e
22-07-2009, 01:30 PM
You obviously havent had bridezilla yet. Wait for it...it will come.

Yes and wait till you get a bridezilla with a control freak wedding planner in tow :eek:

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I have had that and more:

Bridezilla
Controll Freak Wedding Planner
Military Trained Venue Owner!

That was interesting!

Pe7e
22-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I agree with your comment charlie, if you feel like dancing and that works for you dont stop doing it, im sure theres an old fashioned saying somewhere that goes along the lines of 'if the dj is seen to be enjoying himself this will rub off on the guests'.

I take it you've not done many high end, formal, set piece receptions then, these do's are more about putting on an ostentatious display of wealth and sophisticated good taste, than the guests actually enjoying themselves. It's more about social climbing and one upmanship than anything else. Who is on the guest list, is more important than who's enjoying themselves :D IMO of course

Javlingames
22-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Ive done many of them, thats how i made my living for 10 years, i do not dance behind the decks either like a mad man but i always looked like i was having a good time

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Agreed.

Charlie, with due respect (because i know that your good at what you do) you are missing the point.

Different functions/events require a different level of professionalism and etiqutte.

So Steve

How many high class or Royal functions have you done then to be getting this opinion? People are still people. They still dance and have a good time no matter how much money they earn. You are talking about etiquette, but we are talking about a disco here. We are DJs, entertainers and I don't think I've ever had a complaint because one of my guys was dancing or enjoying himself.

Excalibur
22-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Oh believe me, it can do.

I think that comment sums up your lack of actual experience rather than the show you can put on. ;)
Well how can you do that with the statutory " Good evening" "Last Orders" and "Goodnight" apparently favoured by some on here? :confused: :sofa:

I dance a little behind my deckstand when in full swing, not full on "the running man" but I do move quite a bit. I see nothing wrong with that no matter how formal.
Agreed. On occasions I have been seen to tap my foot. ;)

I take it you've not done many high end, formal, set piece receptions then, these do's are more about putting on an ostentatious display of wealth and sophisticated good taste, than the guests actually enjoying themselves. It's more about social climbing and one upmanship than anything else. Who is on the guest list, is more important than who's enjoying themselves :D IMO of course
:agree:

We are DJs, entertainers and I don't think I've ever had a complaint because one of my guys was dancing or enjoying himself.
Strewth Darren, your lads are paid to work, not to have fun and enjoy themselves! :eek: What a way to run a business. :eek:

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 05:56 PM
So Steve

How many high class or Royal functions have you done then to be getting this opinion? People are still people. They still dance and have a good time no matter how much money they earn. You are talking about etiquette, but we are talking about a disco here. We are DJs, entertainers and I don't think I've ever had a complaint because one of my guys was dancing or enjoying himself.

Ive done one or two for Lords and Ladies of the Manor, and a few charity dinners which have basically been celebrity meet & greets 9all be it minor ones). And do you not believe that at times a dj will have to be more than "just a disco". Isnt this additional level of service and professionalism which sets us apart from the Sids in the world?

Would your more expensive venues be overjoyed if you and your staff were dancing round like a "you know what"? There is enjoying yourself....then there is doing the conga and hokey cokey with the guests, which is how Charlie came across.

I realise that this is your forum Daz and with all due respect, but i get the feeling thay this is just flaming...especially since me and charlie finished the discussion a while ago. :)

Excalibur
22-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Ive done one or two for Lords and Ladies of the Manor, and a few charity dinners which have basically been celebrity meet & greets 9all be it minor ones). And do you not believe that at times a dj will have to be more than "just a disco". Isnt this additional level of service and professionalism which sets us apart from the Sids in the world?

Would your more expensive venues be overjoyed if you and your staff were dancing round like a "you know what"? There is enjoying yourself....then there is doing the conga and hokey cokey with the guests, which is how Charlie came across.

I realise that this is your forum Daz and with all due respect, but i get the feeling thay this is just flaming...especially since me and charlie finished the discussion a while ago. :)

Whoa fellas steady on, I don't think I've got a big enough sofa for the shrapnel that's gonna be airborne in a minute. :eek:

It may be hard to believe , but I've done gigs for the gentry. :eek: I just have to remember to lose the accent, and hide my cap under the deckstand, with the whippet. ;)

We're heading back to dangerous generalisations again. And don't think that a posh address and speaking voice engenders good behaviour. It doesn't. ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I agree Peter, but Daz has taken my example out of context. It was intended as a extreme example, which Charlie understood.

Pe7e also understoold what i was saying, as did you whilst agreeing in your last post.

BeerFunk
22-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't do a lot of dancing whilst DJing, although sometimes the moment does take you! At the end of the day, over 90% of the music I play doesn't compel me to dance, but that's not say I'm not enjoying myself.

Another point to consider - if you are dancing around a lot, there is a distinct possibility people will think you've been drinking on the job... anyway, this would probably be better in a seperate thread? :sofa:

Excalibur
22-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't do a lot of dancing whilst DJing, although sometimes the moment does take you! At the end of the day, over 90% of the music I play doesn't compel me to dance, but that's not say I'm not enjoying myself.

Another point to consider - if you are dancing around a lot, there is a distinct possibility people will think you've been drinking on the job... anyway, this would probably be better in a seperate thread? :sofa:

Hmmmmm, now there's a thought. ;) :D

Javlingames
22-07-2009, 06:25 PM

If you were stood still all night they may think you were monged out on cannabis, especially if you kept on munching away at the buffet.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2009, 06:32 PM

If I was flaming you, then you'd know.

What has the fact that it's my forum got to do with my opinion. I am getting rather sick of people using that as an excuse because they disagree with me.

I am disagreeing because in my experience it doesn't matter whether you are doing a village hall or a palace, you can still dance behind the disco or with the guests. We are entertainers and your opinion is either very naive or comes from lack of experience in these matters which is backed up by the fact that you have done 'one or two' for Lords and Ladies of the manor and a few charity dinners.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I agree Peter, but Daz has taken my example out of context. It was intended as a extreme example, which Charlie understood.

What exactly have I taken out of context?

Babybob
22-07-2009, 06:39 PM
If you were stood still all night they may think you were monged out on cannabis, especially if you kept on munching away at the buffet.

That could go for a lot of folk on here, myself included being of the portly type. ;) :p

Excalibur
22-07-2009, 06:42 PM

What has the fact that it's my forum got to do with my opinion. I am getting rather sick of people using that as an excuse because they disagree with me.

I am disagreeing because in my experience it doesn't matter whether you are doing a village hall or a palace, you can still dance behind the disco or with the guests. We are entertainers and your opinion is either very naive or comes from lack of experience in these matters which is backed up by the fact that you have done 'one or two' for Lords and Ladies of the manor and a few charity dinners.
Hey be fair. ;) You own the joint, we're all jealous, so as the Authority Figure here you're fair game. :sofa:

Much as it pains me, I'd have to say I agree with nearly all Of our esteemed , illustrious, grumpy, omnipotent and experienced leader. :( :(

What exactly have I taken out of context?

Dunno, I lost the will to live days ago. :( :( :(

BeerFunk
22-07-2009, 07:07 PM
If you were stood still all night they may think you were monged out on cannabis, especially if you kept on munching away at the buffet.:confused:

The difference being, of course, that no-one will watch you standing all night - but if you're dancing about it will get people's attention.

For the record, I don't think it matters either way for the majority of gigs - but for more formal events (and that will include some weddings), I reckon a bit of class is required.

Excalibur
22-07-2009, 07:11 PM
:confused:

The difference being, of course, that no-one will watch you standing all night - but if you're dancing about it will get people's attention.

For the record, I don't think it matters either way for the majority of gigs - but for more formal events (and that will include some weddings), I reckon a bit of class is required.

Translation: Wear a tie? :confused: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2009, 07:12 PM
:confused:

OK. Define a formal event. Tell me what happens from a DJs point of view that is different from an informal event, apart from a few formal announcements and speeches.

Do people act differently? Do they dance differently?

I'm really interested in why people thing things should be different.

BeerFunk
22-07-2009, 07:23 PM
OK. Define a formal event. Tell me what happens from a DJs point of view that is different from an informal event, apart from a few formal announcements and speeches.

I'm really interested in why people thing things should be different.Well, you know that people book DJs within different price ranges for different reasons - image is certainly one of them! If a couple had booked a really classy, upmarket venue for their wedding, they're not gonna want a DJ turning up in jeans with rope lights and lightboxes. They'll most likely want a clean and tidy disco setup, presented by a smartly dressed DJ.

In my personal opinion, I would not want the DJ I booked to be dancing about as if he was 5 or 6 :beer1:s to the good. A bit of dancing, not too over the top though, is fine - but certainly not too eccentric - and absolutely not on the dancefloor! :eek:

Mark Wild
22-07-2009, 07:27 PM
:ontopic:

Excalibur
22-07-2009, 07:47 PM

I'm really interested in why people thing things should be different.

That's easy. ;) Fighting doesn't start till after the buffet. ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 09:29 PM

How the hell can you comment on my experience in "these matters". You know bugger all about me. I do not work in the "local village hall". Ive build a business up that is professional. I can enjoy my work and show it without jumping around all over the place, and i would certainly never go and join the guests on the dance floor. Im there to do a job and will do it professionally.

In the club i have no issues with jumping on the mic, singing along and generally winding people up but i will not provide that at a wedding, and have never been asked to.

I make reference to you owning the forum because occasionally you seem that no one can have an opinion that contradicts yourself and when they do the are niave because that is not your experience!

Yes everyone enjoys a party, but for some the party is a social gathering/networking event which should be conducted in the utmost professionalism, others are a good old drinking session.

You have taken the statement concering the Pub singer at a royal wedding out of cotext IMO, hence your question...Have you done royalty? It was a example for god sake to get the point across that different events require a different level of service etiquette.

Excalibur
22-07-2009, 09:32 PM
To borrow a phrase from "Jaws"

" I think I'm gonna need a bigger sofa". ;) :D

Shaun
22-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Easy tigers. :)

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 09:36 PM
My apologies everyone, but im not having generalisations made about the way i run a business and how i deem it to be professional or not.

As far as im concerned, im not willing to argue futher and would now prefer to keep the peace and move on with it, as ive said my bit. :)

Penfold42
22-07-2009, 09:39 PM
My apologies everyone, but im not having generalisations made about the way i run a business and how i deem it to be professional or not.

As far as im concerned, im not willing to argue futher and would now prefer to keep the peace and move on with it, as ive said my bit. :)

It's all in a healthy debate. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
22-07-2009, 11:54 PM
All i can say from what I have seen is if I was getting married tomorrow I would have no issue with Charlie or Ollie djing at my wedding. Naturally I would expect to meet the dj and discuss the music policy.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-07-2009, 09:53 AM

I haven't made any generalisations about you. I have commented on what you have posted in this thread. If I disagree, then I disagree. I haven't commented on the way you run your business or if I think it is professional or not.

I'm not sure why you are getting so excited. You need to read the whole thread, what I have commented on and chill out a bit.

CRAZY K
23-07-2009, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Dynamic Entertainment;359902]
In the club i have no issues with jumping on the mic, singing along and generally winding people up but i will not provide that at a wedding, and have never been asked to

/QUOTE]

STRANGE WORLD UP THERE THEN:confused:

Down here in the Midlands and South im regularly entertaining at Weddings where people want EXACTLY THAT.

Get away from the wooden professional DJ image and have some fun;)

Now I will admit that I include the best Barn/Line Dance show that money can buy and most of these events are booked by people with serious amounts of money.

Venues vary, what matters is the customer and their budget--we work in many varied locations including upmarket venues.

Same show every time---never fails.;)

On a much lighter note---this thread relates to 16 year olds remember---I have just had to book young Corabar Steve into a gig for me because there
was a requirement for younger entertainers---thats as in younger than people like me.:eek:

Same problem as booking a 16 year old for a Wedding.

Ageism rules ok :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

CRAZY K

Mark Wild
23-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Get away from the wooden professional DJ image and have some fun;)

:agree: totally.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-07-2009, 12:49 PM
When i can get away from the "wooden dj" immage i do, especially if its just a birthday party for example. But over the last 3 years ive seen weddings go more and more formal and the expectations of how brides want me to act have changed too.

Increasingly now im getting the statement "No party music such as The Time Warp, YMCA, etc" on my playlist sheets :(

Funnily enough, the change in type of brides also co-insides with a progression to more up-market venues, so my marketing must work.

Ive said it before on here, im getting less and less work in my local area, which is seen as the deprived area of Cumbria. Good for me as my wages are better, but not good on the travel time...

samuelchristian
23-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I have only just joined the forum and this thread caught my attention straight away as I started doing gigs at 15.

For the first couple of years I was always the junior DJ for a more experienced guy, which worked great. I have always loved all music, old and new but learnt so much working with someone who new how to work such a varied crowd as you normally get at weddings. To start with I would take over when it came to playing the newer stuff as my knowledge of this was better but as I learnt more about the foundation tracks for a mixed audience I actually found that easier as classic tracks stay classic tracks but only a few of todays chart stay in a play list very long.

I learnt my mic technique during this time too and went from occasionaly announcing track names to really getting involved with the crowd. I did my first solo wedding at about 18 and went from their really.

Shaun
23-07-2009, 01:15 PM
For weddings and other prestigious events I choose a more laid back approch to DJing (unless the client states otherwise), so I can relate to exactly what Steve means. I also learnt my trade being a personality DJ so I can switch to that mode should the occasion call for it.

For the most part...I don't dance, I'm not out on the floor being too interactive... I just provide a great friendly and professional service. My feedback dictates that's exactly the type of DJ the majority of my clientelle like and want.

Does that make me a wooden DJ? If so, sand me down and varnish me 'cause I'm not changing. ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
23-07-2009, 01:23 PM
For weddings and other prestigious events I choose a more laid back approch to DJing (unless the client states otherwise), so I can relate to exactly what Steve means. I also learnt my trade being a personality DJ so I can switch to that mode should the occasion call for it.

For the most part...I don't dance, I'm not out on the floor being too interactive... I just provide a great friendly and professional service. My feedback dictates that's exactly the type of DJ the majority of my clientelle like and want.

Does that make me a wooden DJ? If so, sand me down and varnish me 'cause I'm not changing. ;)

:Laugh: :rofl: PMSL

CRAZY K
23-07-2009, 01:32 PM

No, im just saying there are certain Brides who dont want another carbon copy boring Wedding like the last one they went to---:eek:

As it happens most of those locally seem to contact me--:)

Many want to "keep up appearances" but often give up when a good friend asks for YMCA, Macarena etc. dreadfully embarrassing obviously;)

But the customer is king--so theres plenty of work for all of us on that basis whatever the requirements.

Fortunately because of my "fun offering" no one has ever banned YMCA, Macarena or even

agadoo:eek:

CRAZY K

samuelchristian
23-07-2009, 01:33 PM

:laughup:

Can I have that on a t-shirt?

Excalibur
23-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Increasingly now im getting the statement "No party music such as The Time Warp, YMCA, etc" on my playlist sheets :(

Funnily enough, the change in type of brides also co-insides with a progression to more up-market venues, so my marketing must work.

I'd tend to agree with your views about the theory posh venue=no cheese. However, often this goes out of the window when their requests move no-one, and Macarena fills the floor. ;) ;) I'm with Crazy on that one.

No, im just saying there are certain Brides who dont want another carbon copy boring Wedding like the last one they went to---:eek:
Many want to "keep up appearances" but often give up when a good friend asks for YMCA, Macarena etc. dreadfully embarrassing obviously;)
Fortunately because of my "fun offering" no one has ever banned YMCA, Macarena or even agadoo:eek:

CRAZY K
I've had them banned. And I've still played them. ;) ;) ( Mind you on that occasion I defy anyone to have refused the angelic little lady who requested the song at the top of the banned list. " The Birdie Song". :eek: :eek: ) The Groom who was not a happy bunny, agreed when he saw her also. Awwwwwwww, isn't that nice? :D :D

Kernow
23-07-2009, 04:30 PM

So keep it 'plane' & simple, 'grit' your teeth and watch a DJ in his 'primer'

:D :D

Shaun
23-07-2009, 04:40 PM
So keep it 'plane' & simple, 'grit' your teeth and watch a DJ in his 'primer'

:D :D

<groan> :d

Charlie Brown
23-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I despair.

Dynamic Entertainments took my extreme example of doing the "hokey cokey" and "congo" around the cricket pitch to the extreme. I am certainly aware that you wouldn't do this (at what you like to call) a "posh" gig.

All people are human. All people have a sense of humor. All people like to have fun. I really don't understand why you like to deem them as other creatures. Why should you handle or do anything differently depending on how much the clients earn? Surely you like to provide a professional service to ALL your clients and not just to a few select who earn a lot of money.

I really think your missing the point and if you can't have a bit of fun at a gig then thats very sad. Why do you get the impression I dance around like a "_____" (whatever you meant)

Have you ever heard about service with a smile? Relax. Enjoy yourself. Entertain. Have fun. Know your limits.

I can imagine you being a very serious person.

Babybob
23-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I despair.

Now where have I heard that comment before....:sofa:

Dynamic Entertainment
23-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I despair.

Dynamic Entertainments took my extreme example of doing the "hokey cokey" and "congo" around the cricket pitch to the extreme. I am certainly aware that you wouldn't do this (at what you like to call) a "posh" gig.

All people are human. All people have a sense of humor. All people like to have fun. I really don't understand why you like to deem them as other creatures. Why should you handle or do anything differently depending on how much the clients earn? Surely you like to provide a professional service to ALL your clients and not just to a few select who earn a lot of money.

I really think your missing the point and if you can't have a bit of fun at a gig then thats very sad. Why do you get the impression I dance around like a "_____" (whatever you meant)

Have you ever heard about service with a smile? Relax. Enjoy yourself. Entertain. Have fun. Know your limits.

I can imagine you being a very serious person.

Why can this not be dropped?:bang:

Charlie, you understood (as i gathered) where i was coming from with the exampl a number of posts ago.

In the past you have stated that youve been on the dancefloor with the guests, and the "i got so involved with the guests i had them doing the conga around the cricket pitch", indicates that you were out there with them!

Yes i am a serious person. I run a business to make money and try to do that professionally. I must be doing something righ, because so far its working. We obviously work in different types of venues and with different clientelle who expect different things.

Charlie Brown
23-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I didn't take offence. I think the topic has been devoured now and we all have our own opinions on the matter. Lack of mis understanding and communication too.

I call a peace treaty? :)

Dynamic Entertainment
23-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I thought we have one 5 pages ago :) - I wish i could still dance around, but the old hips are on their way out :D

Charlie Brown
23-07-2009, 06:10 PM
That's more like it! :D Fancy a beer? ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
23-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah...just dont tell any mods :D

Jiggles
23-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Rumbled! :D