PDA

View Full Version : LEDJ Lil' Mix Controller - Review

Shakermaker Promotions
21-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

Just a few lines about this little unit. Firstly, thanks to whoever recommended it yesterday, it is exactly what I have been after and I would fully recommend it myself. I recorded 3 videos but have decided not to post them as I don't think they were good enough.

Here's the unit. It is a dedicated controller for all LEDJ 4 Channel Products.

http://prolight.co.uk/images/media/11/1121/1121101/LEDJ122/LEDJ122-wf0.jpg

I ordered this yesterday from DJ Store. It was £69.00 with free delivery.
Now, when I buy something new I like to literally get it out the box and have it working straight away. This controller is perfect for me as I am not great at DMX and you don't need to be. It really is idiot proof. I generally get a bit of a strop on if I can't get my head around something within 5 minutes.

The Unit comes with an adaptor and a very small manual and that's it and to be honest, that's all you need.

As you can see, there are 4 sliders - Red, Green, Blue and Dimmer/Strobe and a bank of buttons which control colours and movements/effects. I tested the controller on 4 x LEDJ Colourbursts and set the Dip Switches on the units to 1 and 10 and that was all I had to do because the controller did the rest.

This is really, really easy to use and ideal for someone like me that uses the units regularly for Uplighting etc. I'm not really sure what else I can say about this product as it really is that basic. Ok, it may not be everybody's cup of tea and some of you that use more complicated DMX desks or PC Programs will probably be chuckling away. All I will say is that I am very happy with this purchase. If you have LEDJ Colourbursts too and do not currently use a controller for them then I would recommend this.

I am looking forward to using it properly on Friday night.
Thanks again
G

OllieJames
21-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Looks cool!

POST THE VIDEOS! :D

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2009, 01:06 PM
So, could this be easily used by a best man (for example) with a couple of pre-prepared notes?

Cheers for the review. i think another purchase is in order :)

Shakermaker Promotions
21-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Anyone could use it honestly, it really is that easy.

Jiggles
21-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Hmm i wish i just waited out to get the LEDJs and not the Pars. There both just as good but i like this idea of the mini controller but MyDMX is just as good. hmm

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Im thinking that it can be set up and used by say a best man throughout the day if need be. Saves leaving a lappy there :)

Can it be programmed with specific scenes?

I.e. go red then yellow, and back to red. or set in alternate colours like :

Red - Green - Red - Green - Red - Green

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Im thinking that it can be set up and used by say a best man throughout the day if need be.

Would they work in daylight then? :p

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Would they work in daylight then? :p

Smart :Censored: :D You know what i mean. Indoor venues and the like where you can get some colour......Ill go and play in my field eh :D

HTG Events
22-07-2009, 12:43 AM
I feel a purchase coming - one of these, 12 of those:D

...just need to sell a few items 1st...or hide them so *someone* thinks they've been sold:ph34r:

Thanks for the review Gary - I tend to feel much the same way about this kind of gear

Shakermaker Promotions
22-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Just something else to add.
This morning I have been in the function room at my local pub. I set up all 10 units around the (medium sized) room and played about with the controller. It was excellent.
The only thing I could see that may be a problem was that I have a load of DMX leads that are only about 3m long. As I had my box of mic leads with me I thought I'd use some of those to see if they did the same thing. Some of these are 10m long and they worked a treat. I thought the signal may not be as good but they were fine. I am more or less sorted now. Of course I will eventually get round to getting some extra long DMX leads but I have a job on this friday so the mic leads will do for now. I may also purchase another 2 Colourbursts so I then have 12 units and another controller too. That way, I can either do a nice 12 unit Uplighting service or, if I get a booking for Disco and Uplighting and one just for Uplighting then I can do both. 6 Units at each is still good enough.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Mine has been ordered. Gary, if your getting another few colourbursts and another Lil Mix, then seriously give Life Is Music a try. They defo have stock in and are very cheap:

£28.41 for Colour Bursts http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/lights/LEDJ-Colour-Burst---LED-4-chan-4256.aspx

£58.31 for Lil Mix http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/lights/LEDJ-Lil-Mix-12739.aspx

Spirits High
22-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Mine has been ordered. Gary, if your getting another few colourbursts and another Lil Mix, then seriously give Life Is Music a try. They defo have stock in and are very cheap:

£28.41 for Colour Bursts http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/lights/LEDJ-Colour-Burst---LED-4-chan-4256.aspx

£58.31 for Lil Mix http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/lights/LEDJ-Lil-Mix-12739.aspx

Drat and double drat :(

Just ordered the lil mix from Dj store :eek:

Off for a cyber trip to life is music now :D

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Colour Bursts here...controller tomorrow :D

Shakermaker Promotions
22-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Bright little things aren't they!
Best thing you can do now is to get the plugs off and get IEC plugs on the end of them.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Already working on it :D

Then i need to order a 100m of suitable cable for dmx and power, extra plug for buth, IEC y-addapters and make up the bases :D

Shakermaker Promotions
22-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Good luck with it all and I hope they start paying for themselves within no time at all.
My missus has just bought a new camera today that is the dogs dangly bits so I am hoping to get some good photos soon and really start bigging up the whole uplighting service.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Ive a marquee gig coming up soon and im going to offer it free (installed on the friday) on the condition i can use friday night to get some good shots :D - They aint in the marquee on the friday so shouldnt be an issue. And the venue owner is spot on too :)

Shakermaker Promotions
22-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Good idea...that's how you 'get in there'.
I have a wedding at a local venue this friday but I have never been there. I've spoken to the Wedding Co-ordinator and he seems a good bloke. I asked him whilst I was on the phone if they had a dedicated Disco supplier and he said no. I also asked if he was looking for one and he said that they generally pass on numbers etc and I should take some cards etc with me. I really want to sell the Uplighting to them. I have arranged to set it up tomorrow and he is working so I will really push it.
The thing is (as I mentioned earlier), I usually offer Uplighting as an extra service when I DJ. If I can get Uplighting hire jobs from the likes of hotels then that is really using the service to it's full potential. I am quite happy to go out and get more units if necessary.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah me to Gary. The things are so small, you could have a hundred and not worry about space :) What do you use to carry them around? Do you have a case?

Shakermaker Promotions
22-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I carry them in one of those plastic storage boxes from Staples. It is lined on the bottom with the same stuff that I cover the front of my stand with and then another piece on top. All the DMX leads and now the controller fit in perfectly including the bases.

DaveyG1980
23-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Be good to see some pics off these in action, i was looking into getting some of these, plus easy little controller which does what you need.

Adam_F
23-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Can it be programmed with specific scenes?

I.e. go red then yellow, and back to red. or set in alternate colours like :

Red - Green - Red - Green - Red - Green

Can you set alternate colours on it?

Shakermaker Promotions
23-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I haven't looked into it too much at the moment but it is very basic. I think that if you want it to go Red, Blue, Red, Blue etc etc then you could just press the relative buttons to do it in real time.

DJ INDIE
24-07-2009, 12:20 PM
nice one gary.

i do the same but witht he par45s for uplighting - nice little tip is to cable tie, tie or use one of the snake piping things to tie your power cable to your DMX cable together - that way your in effect only using one cable for tidying and set up time etc (if that makes sense :) )

i made mine 5m each - as a lot of 10m cables can get expensive - and jobs a good un.

basically put the lights where you want them grab a cable (in effect containing power and DMX/mic lead) - connect up, bish bash bosh, jobs a good un!

Spirits High
24-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Well my colourbursts arrived yesterday from Life is music but the controller from Dj Store hasn't :(

On checking with Dj store they weren't in stock even though "Computer says Yes", so cancelled with them and am off back to the other store!

Cj_The_Dj
24-07-2009, 04:12 PM
what is the strobe like?

Shakermaker Promotions
24-07-2009, 11:54 PM
The strobe is ok actually. It goes from very slow to very fast and you only have to move the slider a touch. Very easy.

djpapastu
05-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Well, after reading the reviews on here and peoples thoughts on led par cans I finally decided to buy some. Me being me, ordered a couple from Sapphires in London, which haven't arrived yet due to them being out of stock. In the meantime I decided to buy a couple more and the Lil' Mix controller too from Life is Music, and they arrived a day after ordering them. So got to say these guys are well worth using.

I've just had them setup in the lounge and they look good. I was a little worried about the brightness after seeing some other led par cans, with the small leds in them, so opted for the ledj ones with the 10mm leds and they seem quite bright.

As for the controller, well, very basic, but soooo easy to use. Best bargain purchase of this year for me I think!