PDA

View Full Version : Review: senny HD25 SP's

Starlight
24-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I've been using these headphones for a number of years now and they are fantastic in regard to both sound and build quality. The sound quality is so rich and 'full', it's got amazing sound quality. The build quality is pukka and can't complain, they have been dropped several times and they are tough, really tough. The thing that struck me most was the fact that you can replace the power lead on them and also the ear pads. They cost me around 80 pound and overall, I highly rate them, well worth the 80 pounds. they will last me for many many many years to come :D They are nice and lightweight too which is great if you are going to wear them for prolonged periods of time.

I'm sure some other people use these headphones, you've made a sensible choice lads :p :D ;)

Best wishes,

Neil.

DJ Jules
24-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm sure some other people use these headphones, you've made a sensible choice lads :p :D ;)

I bought a pair of HD25 II a while ago (RRP £190, but I paid £120) as they have the rotating earphone which the SP model doesn't and much higher sound insulation. I tried out a few pairs in the shop with some background music on and the thing which immediately struck me about the Senny's vs Cortex, Pioneer and Sony headphones was the immediate insulation from background noise the moment you put them on and the richness and range of the sound produced (you haven't heard low end bass in a pair of headphones until you've tried these - honest). Since I've bought these it's been a lot easier to beatmatch a) the insulation means you can hear the track you're cuing up - even the quiet intro, and b) you can hear the full extent of the bassline clearly).

I spent about 10minutes trying to justify the price tag to myself (and working out what to tell the wife they cost) before buying them, but when you put them on and listen, it's really easy to hear just why you spent all that money.

Julian

Dynamic Entertainment
25-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Personally i cant get away with them. Poineer all the way for me :sofa: :D

Starlight
25-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I bought a pair of HD25 II a while ago (RRP £190, but I paid £120) as they have the rotating earphone which the SP model doesn't and much higher sound insulation. I tried out a few pairs in the shop with some background music on and the thing which immediately struck me about the Senny's vs Cortex, Pioneer and Sony headphones was the immediate insulation from background noise the moment you put them on and the richness and range of the sound produced (you haven't heard low end bass in a pair of headphones until you've tried these - honest). Since I've bought these it's been a lot easier to beatmatch a) the insulation means you can hear the track you're cuing up - even the quiet intro, and b) you can hear the full extent of the bassline clearly).

I spent about 10minutes trying to justify the price tag to myself (and working out what to tell the wife they cost) before buying them, but when you put them on and listen, it's really easy to hear just why you spent all that money.

Julian

Hiya Julian mate,

Yeah I've seen these headphones too and seen quite a few jocks use them. I'm happy with what I've got and from what your saying Julian, you do more beat mixing than me which is fine. I don't really beat mix that often, I can do it but I stick to the basics hehe! I suppose it does depend on what applications you use the headphones. Sure, if I was beat mixing regularly, then I'd seriously consider getting the Senny MKII's.

Neil.

Personally i cant get away with them. Poineer all the way for me :sofa: :D

Hehe! We all have different hearing abilities okay. That's why you like certain headphones, it's all about frequency responses predominantly.

Best regards,

Neil.

Dynamic Entertainment
25-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Hehe! We all have different hearing abilities okay. That's why you like certain headphones, it's all about frequency responses predominantly.

lol, too true. It wasnt so much the sound quality, whcih was great. I just like chunky. With the sennys i could (and have done with a mates, forget they are on my head...and walk away from the mixer :eek:. Not a good idea, so the pioneer was just a bit more to them, so i couldnt forget them ;)

Shaun
25-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I use HD25's too, have done for years. I doubt I'd change to anything else.

DJ Jules
25-07-2009, 08:26 AM
With the sennys i could (and have done with a mates, forget they are on my head...and walk away from the mixer :eek:

My only complaint with them is that it costs somewhere between £40 and £50 for a coiled cable for them!! :eek: But at least you can change the cable yourself without using a soldering iron and pretty much any other part you might possibly break (and they come with a spare pair of earpads as well).

A lot of headphone use is down to personal preference - I did look hard at the pioneer's before making my decision, but with 3watt output in some of the headphones Pioneer seemed to have taken the approach that they'd make the headphones loud first and soundproof second, whereas the Senny's are very sensitive (and quite low resistance) so you can get them loud if you want, but typically you don't need to have them loud because they do such a good job of isolating you from any background noise.

Julian

djsteve10
25-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I have had the HD25 SP's and then uprgraded to the HD25 Pro's which are much better build quality.

Very well rated.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I have had the HD25 SP's and then uprgraded to the HD25 Pro's which are much better build quality.

The same as me, but I'm not sure the build quality is any different. The sound quality certainly is.

Starlight
25-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I use HD25's too, have done for years. I doubt I'd change to anything else.

:headphones: :thumbsup: :)

My only complaint with them is that it costs somewhere between £40 and £50 for a coiled cable for them!! :eek: But at least you can change the cable yourself without using a soldering iron and pretty much any other part you might possibly break (and they come with a spare pair of earpads as well).
Julian

:confused: :eek: £40 £50 quid :confused: :eek: They probably charge high prices because they know people will want to buy a replacement or two over the years. Must be in great demand if they are selling replacement leads for that amount. If they didn't sell well, they would drop their price I think. Can you replace the ear pads in them?

Best regards,

Neil.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Can you replace the ear pads in them?

You can replace the pads yes. I think just about everything is replaceable, but at a cost. ;)

Starlight
25-07-2009, 12:23 PM
You can replace the pads yes. I think just about everything is replaceable, but at a cost. ;)

You can't really go wrong with them then can you! ;)

Best regards,

Neil.

Mark Wild
25-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I use the HD25 mk II's on the advice from fellow forum members (always used cheaper in the past tbh) but the saying "you get what you pay for" certainly applies here. Only 1 gripe, one of the cups slips up and down a little to easily, not sure why.

DJ Jules
25-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Everything is replacable, if you stick Sennheiser HD25 into eBay you'll get a long list of geniune (and occasionally, non-genuine) spare parts.

The ear cups slip off, and as I said, you get a spare pair in the box.

Julian

djsteve10
25-07-2009, 02:15 PM
The same as me, but I'm not sure the build quality is any different. The sound quality certainly is.

On the HD25 Pro the headband is alot thicker I find and I just find them abit better to have on my head or around my neck but I suppose everybody is different.