PDA

View Full Version : New Digital Setup

rossken
27-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice as to how I can improve my setup.

At the moment I use a laptop with Numark Cue and Numark's Total Control, to control the software. I'm beginning to think that this is a bit basic and also the Total Control unit is getting a bit dodgy i.e. The buttons are beginning to stick.

So I'm looking into a new control device. Any ideas???

I'm thinking its between the DMC2 and possibly the Hercules RMX, however, if its worth it I may pay the extra money for a Denon HC4500.

Also, I might consider the idea of a Denon HD2500 or similar and forget the laptop all together. I may need covinced on this one as I don't know if I would like navigating songs etc. on a tiny screen. Can someone tell me if there is a piece kit that does both i.e. controls the laptop but also can be used as a stand alone player?

What does anybody think?

Thanks!

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Can someone tell me if there is a piece kit that does both i.e. controls the laptop but also can be used as a stand alone player?

The HD2500 does that, but not at the same time.

samuelchristian
28-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Firstly for me personally I would say that using something like the Denon HD2500 is too fiddly to navigate for tracks. I love having a full size screen and keyboard to quickly search for music.

Are you using your Numark Total Control for its playback controls and its mixer functions? I have never been a fan of using anything other than a deditated DJ audio mixer as the quality is far better in general.

Have you considered using a timecode CD system? Something like the M-Audio Torq is a great option and allows you to use any CD or even vinyl turntable as a contol device for the software. That would mean you can use any CD decks you like and therefore also be able to use them without the laptop when required.

I use a similar system to this which I absolutely love because it allows me to have real hands on the music for the bits of scratching and juggling I do and also looks more interesting to the crowd. My setup consists of:

2x Numark CDX CD Decks which look and work like vinyl turntables
1x Maya44 USB soundard which allows the connection of the CDXs in and two audio outputs to the mixer
1x Vestax VMC004XL 4 Channel mixer
Virtual DJ 6 software with timecode CDs

Like I said depends on your mixing style, the CDXs might be overkill and a regular CD player might suit better. Plus CDXs can be tempremetal and I have had them fail on me during a gig but then I reverted to simply using the laptop keyboard and mouse as controllers.

Hope that helps

welby
28-07-2009, 12:42 PM
The Pioneer MEP7000 does that also, but I'm not sure if that does it at the same time and it is very expensive.

Depends what your budget is I guess?

For controllers alone a DMC2 is a good choice and so is a DAC3, but for a standalone and can act as a controller you need to look at the Denon HD2500.

For a stand alone player I would look at the Numark DDS80.

I would ask the question: why would you want to control it both ways?

Penfold42
28-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Also, I might consider the idea of a Denon HD2500 or similar and forget the laptop all together. I may need covinced on this one as I don't know if I would like navigating songs etc. on a tiny screen.
Denon for me...so much so I bought two (Willy waving :p :D )......

Firstly for me personally I would say that using something like the Denon HD2500 is too fiddly to navigate for tracks. I love having a full size screen and keyboard to quickly search for music.

..and how would you know that?

Never been a problem here....clear as a bell IMO.
It is just my opinion though.....:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Although the screen is small on the Denon, the fonts are about the same size, so the only advantage is being able to see a whole set or folder of music on a screen.

rossken
28-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the replies...its given me a lot to think about.

I would ask the question: why would you want to control it both ways?

The only reason I wanted to have both a software controller and a stand alone player, was so I had back up should the laptop crash.

I've never really thought about the idea of using a time coded CD system - I will have a think about that.

As for budget, for the controller I'm looking to spend from about £300 to £500.

Penfold42
28-07-2009, 01:23 PM
As for budget, for the controller I'm looking to spend from about £300 to £500.

I would have a good look round with that amount of money to spend. :)

rossken
28-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I would have a good look round with that amount of money to spend. :)

Well I'm wanting to get a new mixer as well so if the controller is nearer the £300 mark then I'll be able to get a better mixer. But if the right controller costs £500 then I'll need to wait a wee bit longer for a new mixer!!!

welby
28-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Personally I would wait an go the to BPM show coming up in October 2009. I'm sure you can have a look (Hands on) at all the offerings on display and get yourself a baragain as well.

Unless you know of any dealers doing a pre-show special price?

rossken
28-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I am going to BPM in October and waiting until then does seem quite sensible.

It would be great even to go into a dealer and have a look at some gear, but the nearest one is about 2 hours away! And being 15 its quite hard to convince the parents I need to go and have a look!!! :(

samuelchristian
28-07-2009, 04:23 PM

I have had a bit of a play with it and for me personally the screen was still a bit to small, it is still a very tasty bit of gear. I have never been able to fault Denon for quality. Very much a personal taste thing I guess and also down to how you like to work.

Tom
28-07-2009, 05:06 PM

;):D

Same here when I used to have one. :)

I am going to BPM in October and waiting until then does seem quite sensible.

It would be great even to go into a dealer and have a look at some gear, but the nearest one is about 2 hours away! And being 15 its quite hard to convince the parents I need to go and have a look!!! :(

See you there then. Quite a few of the forum members will be attending this show also. :)

rob1963
28-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Denon for me...so much so I bought two

I also bought two...

D two!

:D

DJMaxG
02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I asked Rik Parkinson whether a new Pioneer CDJ 1000 was going to be released, and he said the company weren't allowed to give information out etc. "can not say"

But My Suspicions are that such item may be on show at the BPM Show, this year