PDA

View Full Version : lighting repairs

Pazz
27-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd send a quick post to see if anyone can suggest anything to help. I am currently running short on the number of lighting effects I can use at events at the moment as they all seem to be getting faults.

I am 3 scanners down and I have a dodgy barrel light which I would like to get fixed in the cheapest and quickest way possible as I have a lot of bookings coming up. I have thought about contacting the manufactures or suppliers of these but I take it its going to cost a lot of money and time to send and get these returned and money and time is something I am short on at the moment. I would prefer to be able to take the lighting effects to a repair shop and get these looked at but I am struggling to find anywhere near me (Pontypridd, Cardiff, South Wales) to do this. I would really like to find a place I could also rely on for future repairs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Happy Jack
28-07-2009, 07:37 PM
What make / model is the fixture that is giving you trouble? That would be a good start. I'd carry on a go as far as actually describing the issue your light has. 'Dodgy' just doesn't paint a very clear picture in my mind, and may be a reason why no one has yet replied to your topic!

Issues with the unit responding to DMX? Gobo / colour wheels not realigning. The fixture not resetting to it's 'home' position? Fuses? Mirror movement jogging...

Happy Jack
28-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I'll say as well, although contacting manufacturers / distro's may be a good start, it almost invariably means a significant mark-up if you are ordering specific parts via a third party. I'd discuss the problem in as much detail as you can possibly provide in order to locate the source of whatever issue you are having.

:beer1:

Pazz
30-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for your reply. I can provide further details of the problems with my light effects. I would love to get these repaired as I personally feel I am not able to provide as good a disco experience as I would if these were working. Being down on the number of light effects has been giving me weekly headaches! It may look bad that I don't have a huge technical knowledge in being able to fix my light effects to some of you dj's on the forum but I believe my strengths come in other areas.

I have 2 Chauvet Intimidator 2.0 lights (scanners). The 1 of these will just require a lamp holder fitted as the lamps are not staying in tightly in the current holder. The other one I have no idea what’s wrong with this - I have tried the fuses (main glass fuse and plug fuse) and changed the lamp but the light just does not work and will need a more thorough investigation. I also have a Chauvet Insignia 2.0 (barrell) which needs a new sound sensitivity knob fitted as I cannot gain complete control of the light without this.

I also have an Acme Dynamo light (scanner). I have tried a lamp replacement and a fuse replacement for the plug but no change. I have yet to try and replace the main glass fuse on this and will try this shortly but other than that I will be stuck.

I’m basically trying to find out what I can do to get my lights repaired if the problems do not lie within the first checks such as lamps, plug fuses and glass fuses as my knowledge beyond these type of problems is limited.

Thanks again J

Pazz
30-07-2009, 10:45 PM
On a final note I have contacted the company who I purchased the Chauvet light effects from (djkit) and they said they do not offer a repair service. I have this evening been looking at the Chauvet online manual for these lights but not found anything helpful in there as yet. :bang:

Any help from someone on the forum would be much appreciated once again :) Thanks

wensleydale
31-07-2009, 06:32 AM
many lights are so cheap now if you cant do it yourself or dont know someone who can i would consider getting new stuff- 4 dynamos for £300 seems achievable- you would probably pay a minimum of £75 for someone to do anything to a couple of lights.

Pazz
01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Im going to have another look at the lights myself to see if I can fix them. Buying new lights isn't an option right now as I have taken a good whacking from the credit crunch etc. Been made redundant from my main job a few months ago so I am trying to keep the discos going the best I can. If the financial situation improves I may consider investing in new equipment later in the year.

AnthonyG
11-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I've fixed all of my lights recently, all seconduser (off eBay), listed as not working. Happy to take a look, and offer assistance to resolve? Postage etc at your expense and risk - i'll advise whats needed prior to fixing.

Typically however, i've seen a few Tranformers gone and these are pricy to replace (due to shipping costs mostly!).

Happy to assit....

Anthony