PDA

View Full Version : DMX Contoller? Has anyone seen this or used before?

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Seen this and think its abit cheap for what it is?

Anyone know of it?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46502

Cheers!!!!

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Or shall I be safe and go with

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/American-DJ-MyDMX-dmx-software-with-controller_W0QQitemZ140328943276QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_ConElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item20ac41 beac&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Vectis
30-07-2009, 01:42 PM
The Maplin KIT (I say kit because you are aware you'll need to assemble it yourself?) is made by Vellemann and is supported by some of the freeware applications such as Freestyler. It works well within the limitations of the free software.

Some have complained that they can't make the kit work. Personally, I didn't have a problem.

The ADJ unit is well regarded BUT it is now obsolete and will not be developed any further. It is also lacking a sound-activated mode. The software is based on Daslight but is a cut-down version.

Daslight is the product you're looking for IMHO. The entry level unit with 128 channels comes in at around £130+

OllieJames
30-07-2009, 01:46 PM
The Maplin KIT (I say kit because you are aware you'll need to assemble it yourself?) is made by Vellemann and is supported by some of the freeware applications such as Freestyler. It works well within the limitations of the free software.

Some have complained that they can't make the kit work. Personally, I didn't have a problem.

The ADJ unit is well regarded BUT it is now obsolete and will not be developed any further. It is also lacking a sound-activated mode. The software is based on Daslight but is a cut-down version.

Daslight is the product you're looking for IMHO. The entry level unit with 128 channels comes in at around £130+

:agree:

That Daslight 128 Channel one is the one i'm buying at the end of this year. £103 from Thomann (excluding p&p)

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 01:50 PM
or even this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENTTEC-OPEN-DMX-USB-Control-light-effects-from-PC_W0QQitemZ120453624058QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConE lec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item1c0b9870fa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

OllieJames
30-07-2009, 01:53 PM
or even this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENTTEC-OPEN-DMX-USB-Control-light-effects-from-PC_W0QQitemZ120453624058QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConE lec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item1c0b9870fa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Kaljit, I'd be inclined to buy this: cheapest and basic version of Daslight. (http://www.thomann.de/gb/daslight_dvc2_128m.htm)

Daslight has a lot more features than other DMX options. Forum member 'DMXWill' knows alot about Daslight, and he's just recently done a seminar on DMX - so get in touch with him!

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Is there any UK companies that stock this? Would rather fund the money into our economy LOL! WE NEED IT!

But cheers Ollie, I Have daslight installed and OMG is that rocket science or something?

I defo have to do something QUICK as I have a show in manchester next week, and the whole crowd will just get all my macs running in test mode if i dont get a move on!

Anyone wanna sell theres? Any Uk stock holder?

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=3530&cat=0

?

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Where can this be found?

Vectis
30-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Where can this be found?

http://cpc.farnell.com/daslight/dvc2-128-m/dmx-controller-virtual-basic/dp/DP29282

Thomann are fast and reliable. Order today you should receive Tues/Weds.

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 02:48 PM
ohh with VAT still pushs it upto £150!

Shall I just use Thomann?

OHHHH and I will have 6 mac 250 on these? Should be ok?

Vectis
30-07-2009, 02:54 PM
ohh with VAT still pushs it upto £150!

Shall I just use Thomann?

OHHHH and I will have 6 mac 250 on these? Should be ok?

I did say £130+ as in common parlance for "plus vat"

Thomann are well recommended. Just double-check they have stock if you're desperate before committing, because getting your cash back after placing an order can be tiresome.

The unit can address 128 DMX channels, so if each fixture has 32 channels or less, then yes. 6 will be fine.

In the meantime you can run the software's visualiser to plan your show without the dongle attached. There's hundreds of how-tos and tutorials on youtube.

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I did say £130+ as in common parlance for "plus vat"

Thomann are well recommended. Just double-check they have stock if you're desperate before committing, because getting your cash back after placing an order can be tiresome.

The unit can address 128 DMX channels, so if each fixture has 32 channels or less, then yes. 6 will be fine.

In the meantime you can run the software's visualiser to plan your show without the dongle attached. There's hundreds of how-tos and tutorials on youtube.

Cheers mate for all your help!

I have daslight so I will have a plast at it 2nite!

Last thing:

I know you said the American DJ things out now, But what would be the main difference for me? I dont need out and out light shows, just something ok'ish!

Just want to know difference as I want to know if the money is worth while spending!

Cheers again!:)

Vectis
30-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Difference is Daslight is from a strong pedigree and has a future.

ADJ was launched about a year ago and has already been killed off by it's parent. They'll be no software updates save for any patches needed to counteract problems in future windoze service packs for example.

Liken it to when everyone knew Rover was going bump... it took a brave man to walk into a showroom and buy a brand new 45 when for slightly more money they could've had a Mondeo. :cool:

kmssounds
30-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Difference is Daslight is from a strong pedigree and has a future.

ADJ was launched about a year ago and has already been killed off by it's parent. They'll be no software updates save for any patches needed to counteract problems in future windoze service packs for example.

Liken it to when everyone knew Rover was going bump... it took a brave man to walk into a showroom and buy a brand new 45 when for slightly more money they could've had a Mondeo. :cool:

Well explained!!!!

Ill stick to the Mondeo's!

Just scared of das light now but will check over on YouTube!

DJ INDIE
30-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Id avoid the Maplin one!!

Spent quite a while putting it together and....hey presto! nothing!!

apart from £60 down the pan.

kmssounds
31-07-2009, 08:05 AM
HEY PEOPLE!

Had daslight on my comp for sometime and was scared to use it as it looked so complicated!

Went through some YouTube Tutorials and OMG its not rocket science! Have not got my USB-DMX interface yet but can not wait to get it all rigged up to my Martin Mac's!

Cheers all for your help AND I would prob reccomend it to anyone as you can just take the step by step guide of YouTube!

Just hope hooking up the interface is going to be as easy as programming the scenes!:confused:

kmssounds
31-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Id avoid the Maplin one!!

Spent quite a while putting it together and....hey presto! nothing!!

apart from £60 down the pan.

Yea i thought it looked and sounded abit dodgy when I picked up the box and it sounded like a box full of lego pieces!

SC Events
31-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I bought one last year and built it and it still works perfectly - although I don't really use it, as the free software that comes with it is just too basic. :D

I have Daslight, but not the controller, would that Maplin's one do the job?

Vectis
31-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I bought one last year and built it and it still works perfectly - although I don't really use it, as the free software that comes with it is just too basic. :D

I have Daslight, but not the controller, would that Maplin's one do the job?

No. Daslight only works with Daslight hardware and other authorised addons such as the Ryger footlight thingy.

The best software to use with the Maplin dongle is Freestyler. Trouble is, that IS rocket science! :D

kmssounds
31-07-2009, 09:28 AM
OMG!

Just heard Daslight is Discontinued!!

Is this true?? I emailed a company in London who stock it to priece match and they said they no longer are getting them as they are disscontinued!!!!

Thomann get a shipment in the next 5 days so will make my order then!

WOOOOOOP!

OllieJames
31-07-2009, 09:52 AM
OMG!

Is this true?? I emailed a company in London who stock it to priece match and they said they no longer are getting them as they are disscontinued!!!!

Thomann get a shipment in the next 5 days so will make my order then!

WOOOOOOP!

I think that's rubbish...?

Vectis
31-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Tosh.

Nothing about it on the official website (http://www.daslight.com/index.php)

They're confusing it with ADJ MyDMX - the software for that unit is a special stripped-down version of Daslight.

Or else maybe there's some model changes in the works?

kmssounds
31-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Tosh.

Nothing about it on the official website (http://www.daslight.com/index.php)

They're confusing it with ADJ MyDMX - the software for that unit is a special stripped-down version of Daslight.

Or else maybe there's some model changes in the works?

They prob just wanted me to buy a similar product! I am so inpatient! I want my USB-DMX interface NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Censored: :Censored: