PDA

View Full Version : Prolight Nebula laser help

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2009, 11:59 AM
After telling Charlie my lasers have lasted for ages, one of them died on my last night! Typical.

I have heard it's the diode that goes? Are these replaceable and is it worth replacing them or is it too expensive.

The laser is coming on, but nothing is happening.

Any laser experts with any ideas?

Shakermaker Promotions
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I was told a while back that if the diode goes then you may aswell buy a new laser but it obviously depends on the price anyway doesn't it so it could be nonsense. I had a Prolight Green laser a while back and the diode went. The laser was only £109.00 new but the diode would've cost me £99.00 so I just replaced it and bought a new laser.

Charlie Brown
02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry Darren....this isn't very helpful....but,

I couldn't help but laugh...

I had a Pro light laser too that broke.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I took it apart and the red diode has gone. The green still appears to work OK though. £60 to replace though....not sure if it's worth it?

DJMaxG
07-08-2009, 05:03 PM
all the money (price) would be in the diode itself

spin mobile disco
07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Funny you should have that problem my equinox nebula red diode just went last weekend as well. As mine is only 2 months old I've sent back to supplier for a repacement.
How old is yours?

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Funny you should have that problem my equinox nebula red diode just went last weekend as well. As mine is only 2 months old I've sent back to supplier for a repacement.
How old is yours?

About 18 months. :(

welby
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Darren, depending on what rating your laser diode is, this should fit, but you would need to check. If the laser is a higher rating you can always reduce the drive.

Some are self calibrating while cheaper brands rely on a "tweak pot".

This may do you.

100mw Red laser on fleabay (I think thats the laser in the nebula) and includes the driver board. Not sure if this is modular on the Nebula. If not just use the laser head.

http://www.uksupply.org.uk/li/b/red1.jpg

This will cost you £28.50 including the postage.

Vectis
11-08-2009, 10:23 AM
100mw Red laser on fleabay (I think thats the laser in the nebula) and includes the driver board. Not sure if this is modular on the Nebula. If not just use the laser head.

I can vouch for these - replaced one in a Purelight PL102 a while ago. The seller does run auctions though and if you're not in a hurry then bide your time - I think I got mine for about £9 and it really was just a straight swap.

I've not done this with a Nebula though.

If you do go down the "get a spare to tide me over/act as backup" then you should look at the Sigma - same form factor and does the same patterns BUT has a load of other patterns too - my favourites being one that I call "sweeper" and one that puts out clearly-defined star shapes that look simply stunning against a bride's white dress during a first dance alongside open white datamoons.

You'll need DMX to select the other patterns though.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Darren, depending on what rating your laser diode is, this should fit, but you would need to check. If the laser is a higher rating you can always reduce the drive.

Some are self calibrating while cheaper brands rely on a "tweak pot".

This may do you.

The diodes in the Nebulas are rectangular, so that wouldn't fit I don't think. Thanks for the linky though.

The £60 was from Clive@CR services - £40 for the diode and £20 to fit. I probably will get it done there.

welby
11-08-2009, 12:57 PM
The diodes in the Nebulas are rectangular, so that wouldn't fit I don't think. Thanks for the linky though.

The £60 was from Clive@CR services - £40 for the diode and £20 to fit. I probably will get it done there.

Ouch! - but I guess he will guarantee the laser and work for a year? Not so bad. :D

I'd be interested to see a pic of the laser in the nebula. I'm thinking the laser type you have is surrounded by a heatsink in a square shape and not the more modern round fitting type. Not sure if these are interchangeable as they have be be in the exact place for focus on a multi-coloured laser.

Some of the laser's on fleabay can be used for cutting! :eek: that's a scary thought in the hands of a nerdy it hacker type....

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm thinking the laser type you have is surrounded by a heatsink in a square shape and not the more modern round fitting type.

That's pretty much it.

welby
11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
That's pretty much it.

Yeah, these tend to be pretty pricy @ £56 if you can get them - so Clive's price is not bad on that basis.

And Clive is a nice bloke.. creep creep...should bump my discount up by 0.000000001% :whistle:

Is it like this? Or is it a little longer as these are £20.

http://s243333424.e-shop.info/.media/183546453161.png