PDA

View Full Version : Digital Music - Tagging Issues

DJMaxG
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I use Windows Media Player to rip files in 1411kbps WAVs

The Tags are usually extracted via the internet

I Then manually rename the files to delete the numbers

Eg - "07 Release Me" would be changed to "Release Me"

I Then (cut + paste) them onto My External HDD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Importing them into ITunes, the Artist tags don't seem to be there, so I have to manually input them all - otherwise the album artist will be shown as default. This is okay for an album, but inconvinient with a compilation.

The Other issue is - How do I identify an original version from a Clubland Remix for example. Should I insert (Remix Version) in brackets?

This could cause problems in the future as far as Digital DJing is concerned, as well as listening to the Ipod.

OllieJames
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I've not had ANY problems with importing through iTunes for VDJ. Put the CD in, wait 5 secs, and voila the artist names, songs, albums, genres etc are all there. Even on compilation discs.

SC Events
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Slightly Random, Max.

Why do you use WAV's and not 320kbps MP3's?

I know WAV gives the purest sound and is the top quality format, as it isn't compressed like an MP3, but why do you need WAV's for DJ'ing?

Olly, the CD Pool ones hardly ever come up with the information and I have had loads of trouble in the past when loading songs on to the Radio Stations playout system.

OllieJames
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Slightly Random, Max.

Why do you use WAV's and not 320kbps MP3's?

I know WAV gives the purest sound and is the top quality format, as it isn't compressed like an MP3, but why do you need WAV's for DJ'ing?

Olly, the CD Pool ones hardly ever come up with the information and I have had loads of trouble in the past when loading songs on to the Radio Stations playout system.

Yeah, the CD pool ones are less likey, as they're "not available to the public" therefore won't be in the database.

P.S. Max, 1411KBPS wavs will be HUGE.

Javlingames
04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Why not just use I Tunes to rip your music in, set it at 320 and just edit your tags in i tunes. Thats what i do. I actually enjoy tagging tunes up and organising my music.

Adam_F
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Seems to me that question has been asked elsewhere, and Max has cut & paste it here, to get an answer, so he can then reply to where ever this question has come from due to the different fonts used.

rob1963
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
The Other issue is - How do I identify an original version from a Clubland Remix for example. Should I insert (Remix Version) in brackets?

I have more than version of a number of songs, and simply add which version it is in brackets after the title as you suggest.

:)

Jonny Boy
04-08-2009, 04:04 PM
[
I use Windows Media Player to rip files in 1411kbps WAVs

The Tags are usually extracted via the internet

I Then manually rename the files to delete the numbers

Eg - "07 Release Me" would be changed to "Release Me"

I Then (cut + paste) them onto My External HDD.

I've found the track naming to be as problem sometimes too - ie wrong title, wrong order etc. I just edit as i go along, before I rip the CD.

HOWEVER, I might be missing something but isn't removing the "07" a bit moot, since if you search for "release me", the track would come up in the results whether it had the "07" in front or not?

[QUOTE=DJMaxG;363275][SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial"]I

QUOTE]

That's what I've been doing. For example, the Album/Best of version of "Common People" (Pulp) is longer than the radio versions. I have therefore manually added exra in for in brackets. [I used this style ].

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Use Audiograbber. The CD Pool discs get tagged properly with whichever database they use.

DJMaxG
04-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Seems to me that question has been asked elsewhere, and Max has cut & paste it here, to get an answer, so he can then reply to where ever this question has come from due to the different fonts used.

Nope - You're wrong Adam on this occasion :)

I Manually typed it today, BUT admittedly, I have asked similar questions before and imagen others have asked it.

Use Audiograbber. The CD Pool discs get tagged properly with whichever database they use.

Sounds good - I rarely buy CD Pools, but have tried audiograbber etc before and the tags look like this

12 - Blue Monday 98' - 12

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
This is what annoys me with amazon because they wont let you down the file in Artist - Track Name format just Track number - Track Name. Really annoying too.

Max what source are you using to create these wav files? Cd's? Mp3's?

DJMaxG
04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Max what source are you using to create these wav files? Cd's? Mp3's?

Straight from CDs

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
have tried audiograbber etc before and the tags look like this

12 - Blue Monday 98' - 12

In which case you have configured it incorrectly as mine don't.

Excalibur
04-08-2009, 07:08 PM
In which case you have configured it incorrectly as mine don't.

I thought we had this question before, and decided you couldn't get the info on WAV files. :confused:

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought we had this question before, and decided you couldn't get the info on WAV files. :confused:

If your using cds then when you open up windows media player it will look online and download the tracks and artist names for you. Be careful there are a few that are wrong so just glance over them before you decide to rip. I burn it to 320kps mp3 otherwises I'll play it straight from source.

So in answer to Excaliburs post. You have all the information on the pc about whats in the cd drive therefore the information is there before you create the wav files.

DJMaxG
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM

True :beer1:

But there has got to be an answer somewhere. My Second part of the question was about knowing an original track from a remix.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Apologies - I didn't read the first post properly. I thought we were talking about mp3s not wavs. :o

Excalibur
04-08-2009, 09:20 PM
If your using cds then when you open up windows media player it will look online and download the tracks and artist names for you. Be careful there are a few that are wrong so just glance over them before you decide to rip. I burn it to 320kps mp3 otherwises I'll play it straight from source.

So in answer to Excaliburs post. You have all the information on the pc about whats in the cd drive therefore the information is there before you create the wav files.

Aha! Got it. :D This was the thread I meant. Check #15

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18555&highlight=tags

Dynamic Entertainment
05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
My Second part of the question was about knowing an original track from a remix.

Max, for remix versions i just put it in brackets after the Track, i.e. Release me (Original Mix). In Serato there is a remixer field, but i dont bother using is as the search picks it up anyway, e.g. If i search Flip N Fill i get all by them and all remixes by them :)