PDA

View Full Version : GVG-331 Scanners

welby
10-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi all,

still looking at options for scanners and came across these:

http://www.gvgdiscolighting.com/photos/Galleries/new%20products/1216385709DSC02792a.jpg

http://www.gvgdiscolighting.com/photos/Galleries/new%20products/1216385708DSC02935a.jpg

I have deal with this company before when I purchased Powerpack 188 controller and found the quality of that item to be excellent.

I was wondering if these are chinese copies or rebadged oem lights?

Excalibur
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I looked at this company a while ago, and somebody posted they were less than impressed. Shame, as it was an attractive package.

Since then, I'm sure someone will have had dealings, and praise them highly. I'd be interested to see what folk say.

welby
10-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I looked at this company a while ago, and somebody posted they were less than impressed. Shame, as it was an attractive package.

Since then, I'm sure someone will have had dealings, and praise them highly. I'd be interested to see what folk say.

Thanks for the reply.

Was that less than impressed with the lights or less impressed with the company?

Attractive? Price wise not bad £160, about £60 cheaper than a pair of Dynamo's 100W.

Wondering how these compare?

Vectis
10-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Having been a previous owner of Acme Dynamos and a previous owner of a GVG branded laser which went faulty in just a few weeks of light use, followed by a serious amount of aggro trying to get my complaint heard and dealt with, I'd stump up the extra few notes every time.

I've had (and still have) a wide range of Acme/Prolight kit over the years and rate it highly.

Edit: Besides, they're a god-awful colour!

welby
10-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Having been a previous owner of Acme Dynamos and a previous owner of a GVG branded laser which went faulty in just a few weeks of light use, followed by a serious amount of aggro trying to get my complaint heard and dealt with, I'd stump up the extra few notes every time.

I've had (and still have) a wide range of Acme/Prolight kit over the years and rate it highly.

Edit: Besides, they're a god-awful colour!

Re: colour - I'm with you on that one, although they do them in black but for some reason they don't advertise that.

I have a pair of acme duets and a pair of pumas - not exciting stuff but does the job nevertheless and I was actually complimented on my lighting last week. Added to the acme line-up is a Kam tri-colour laser and a VueIII.

Funny thing I always have the VUEIII on the ceiling and pumas on the dancefloor, may just swap them around and see what effect I get.

Just looking for a pair of scanners to complete the line up.

Thanks for your input Martin.

DJ Jules
10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Re: colour - I'm with you on that one, although they do them in black but for some reason they don't advertise that.

I've used a pair of these and the colour is very odd - they look strange on the bar. The black ones are different (subtly) the DMX connectors are on the bottom and the control is via DIP switch instead of LED display and push buttons. The power cable on the black one is wired into the unit and comes out the top as well. Very odd.

These are bright lights (250w Halogen), I've used both the mirror scans and the barrel version of the same and I'd recommend the barrels over the mirror scans (same price for either). I used them for a series of gigs for about two months and didn't have any problems with them (and didn't have to change the bulb either!) The flight case supplied with them is a bit flimsy (but does the job), but the annoying thing is that because the hanging bracket sits at the top of the light, you have to take any clamps off to get them back into the flight case.

The majority of the above are all minor cosmetic gripes, and I would really recommend them - the motors are nice and smooth and the inbuilt programs are really impressive as well. For the money they really are a bargain. Ultimately though they are Chinese copies of some other light or other, which is how they can do them for that price.

Julian