PDA

View Full Version : Best Soundcheck Track

Alchemy
10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Really looking forward to trying out my new active sub and it got me thinking. It seems logical to me to always use the same track to soundcheck with. That way you know what sound you are trying to reproduce each time.

Do you guys use a specific track to soundcheck with? If so which one?

DJMaxG
10-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I have always thought that

Gwen Stafani - What are you waiting for

is a good one

(Someone is bound to correct My Spelling there)

Vectis
10-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Darkness by Human League from the Dare album.

Used it for 27 years.... :eek:

Amongst others of course. I find Beyonce's 'If I were a boy' is pretty good for a recent song because of the range.

A lot depends on whether you have a room full of expectant punters at the time :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Really looking forward to trying out my new active sub and it got me thinking. It seems logical to me to always use the same track to soundcheck with. That way you know what sound you are trying to reproduce each time.

Do you guys use a specific track to soundcheck with? If so which one?

I have a few which I consider to be very well produced.

Michael Buble - How can you mend a broken heart
Loose Ends - Hanging on a string

...being 2 regulars that I use.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I have always thought that

Gwen Stafani - What are you waiting for

is a good one

(Someone is bound to correct My Spelling there)

Have you got a sub then?

Alchemy
10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Have you got a sub then?

:Laugh:

Tony Scott
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I have two for soundchecking.

1. Used for weddings etc: 'Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - MJ'

2. Used for Proms, 16th, 18th b'days etc: 'Timewarp - Sub Focus' (killer Drum & Bass tune!)

.....both sound incredible and have a very wide dynamic range. :)

YouTube - Sub Focus - Timewarp

Used to use 'Kingston Town - Lord Creator' back in the day, still love it now.

YouTube - Kingston Town - Lord Creator

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Someone asked me for Sub Focus at a wedding the other day and I didn't have any...

Have they got an album out or can you suggest a few tracks to download.

I am loving the track linked above.

visualdjmax
10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Agreed great track. But don't you think that the beginning sounds a little like Aha and Take on Me??????

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Agreed great track. But don't you think that the beginning sounds a little like Aha and Take on Me??????

No, but it could make an interesting mix..;)

DeckstarDeluxe
11-08-2009, 12:08 AM
I know a local dj here uses come with me by special d

visualdjmax
11-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Solu Music - Fade

YouTube - Just House - Solu Music feat. Kimblee - fade (original mix)

Tony Scott
11-08-2009, 06:09 AM
Have they got an album out or can you suggest a few tracks to download.

His first Album is due out any time now, but these are 4 of his best IMO.

Airplane (2006)
Timewarp (2008)
Rock It (2009) (biggest hit to date)
Follow The Light (2009)

:)

DJ Jules
11-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I don't normally use one track for sound check (just a range of tracks from whatever I have in my head at the time or a key track for the evenings set, like the first dance, etc), but I discovered at the weekend that Orbital's "The Box" is a good one for range - but completely unrepresentative of the majority of any other music that you're likely to play.

Bootylicious (Destiny's child) is also a good one for testing subs as is Magic Carpet ride (Might Dub Katz).

Julian

Excalibur
11-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Do not use "Martha and the Vandellas- Nowhere to run". ;) I used to do when the Minidisc was the first piece of kit ready in the old days, cos the CD boxes were still closed. The track has a 50Hz line running through much of it, and it sounds like you have an earth loop. :eek:

If I've got nobody within range, I love to use "Yes-Owner of a lonely heart" simply because I love it, or "Money for nothing-Dire Straits" because the drum intro sounds so good.

Not scientific I know, but at my age I'm allowed an indulgence or two. :D

DJMaxG
11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Have you got a sub then?

Not a Pro one, but My Sony Hifi Speakers have built in subs, and although a lot lower wattage, are bassier than a pair of 12" Cabs.
(See pic below - similar, but silver plate over sub)

I know a local dj here uses come with me by special d

Special D - Come with Me : Great Track ;)

a DJ once told me he didn't class a sub as a 'sub' unless the driver was at least 18 Inches.

wensleydale
11-08-2009, 06:19 PM
On this note did anyone download the Mastermix free Soundcheck Mp3- couldnt get into my account so didnt bother in the end but would be interested to hear what it sounds like.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2009, 06:21 PM
On this note did anyone download the Mastermix free Soundcheck Mp3- couldnt get into my account so didnt bother in the end but would be interested to hear what it sounds like.

I didn't as it was about 10 different tracks.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Not a Pro one, but My Sony Hifi Speakers have built in subs, and although a lot lower wattage, are bassier than a pair of 12" Cabs.
(See pic below - similar, but silver plate over sub)

Words fail me.

DeckstarDeluxe
11-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Words fail me.

Ive never known anyone to do a soundcheck on a hi fi system. Mic check one two mum can you hear me in the kitchen?

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Ive never known anyone to do a soundcheck on a hi fi system. Mic check one two mum can you hear me in the kitchen?

:lol:

ppentertainments
11-08-2009, 08:53 PM
a DJ once told me he didn't class a sub as a 'sub' unless the driver was at least 18 Inches.

and he is right :confused: :confused: :confused: