PDA

View Full Version : DMX Acme Dynamo's Problem

thex-faders
10-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi all, did a quick serarch but didnt find much to help me.

Lighting rig now made up of:
Dynamo 100 watt
LED Dynarock
LED Dynarock
Dynamo 100 watt
2 x Colourbursts

Linked in this order via DMX and a Starville DMX Master I

Have set up a number of scenes and can control them all... except the Acme Dynamo's... I cant get them to do a full motion. What i mean is i cant get the mirror to say move from bottom to top position in one motion?

For example the Dynarocks have a roll motion with varios speed but the dynamos just have a pan and tilt but not a full movement?

I hope this makes sense. For now i have the scenes set up with dynamos in various static locations so that they move around the room, but would like them to move in a full motion via controller

Cheers for any advice as im new to DMX.... but love it so far!

Vectis
10-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Have a tinker with Fade Time.

Example:

Step 1 - Light off, mirror dead centre.
Step 2 - mirror pointing straight up, light set to white open.
Step 3 - mirror pointing straight down, light still set to white open.
Step 4 - light off.
Fade time set to say 3 seconds.

Run should see the mirror go to the top, the light come on, the mirror sweep down to the bottom taking 3 seconds to do so.

Simples :p

thex-faders
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks Vectis!

Will program them like this once I get more time. For now i just have the mirror in various different places in scenes and it seems to look ok!

Does this mean there is no setting for a full sweep then on the dynamo's?

Vectis
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Does this mean there is no setting for a full sweep then on the dynamo's?

DMX doesn't work like that. All it can do is change the state of a value 0-255 in a register.

Barrel scanners might map rotation speed 0-100% to a range of values, which is why if you send say 'Rotate Clockwise speed 50%, lamp on, gobo open, colour blue' you'll get a moving beam.

Mirror scanners will translate the ranges to a series of X,Y co-ordinates for the centre of the mirror. Therefore if you want the mirror constantly moving, you need to be constantly sending new sets of co-ordinates. The Fade Time effectively does this by taking the start and end co-ordinates (or degrees) then plotting a series of interim steps automatically along the timeline that you set, then sending these as a series of commands to the unit.

Dynamic Entertainment
12-08-2009, 05:06 PM
You sound like you know what your talking about there Martin ;)

thex-faders
12-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Ye i have the LED dynarocks which as you said had a speed for the roll which obviously gives a full motion.

Thanks for clearing that up and the advise on how to program them better, will be my project for end of month!

DMX is definately much better than just sound to light ... once everything is programmed..

I also have anothe quick question, if for example i take out the dynamos completely from the dmx set up, will the other effects stll work with the programs and chases i have programmed in?

Cheers
Tom

WWDJ
12-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I also have anothe quick question, if for example i take out the dynamos completely from the dmx set up, will the other effects stll work with the programs and chases i have programmed in?

Yes. I do this regularly as I take different lights each time I go out. You just have to make sure that you have 'coverage' for whatever lights you take out. i.e if you don't take the dynamos, make sure you don't use a progam with just the dynamos in, otherwise you will have darkness.

thex-faders
12-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes. I do this regularly as I take different lights each time I go out. You just have to make sure that you have 'coverage' for whatever lights you take out. i.e if you don't take the dynamos, make sure you don't use a progam with just the dynamos in, otherwise you will have darkness.

Ye thats fine, all of the programs have atleast 4 lights on at any one time.

Thanks for everyones advise been very helpful