PDA

View Full Version : how high can i go?

Reminisce disco
12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Hello all,

This Saturday I have a 30th birthday party. It's in a big venue, not a high ceiling, but nevertheless a bigger room than what I usually play in.
I will be running x2 SRM 450'S and x1 1501, normally I don't turn the 450's any higher than "12 o clock" however, i'm sure this weekend I'll have to go higher to fill the room.
My question is, How high can I turn them up? same with the 1501? i just don't want to fry the things!

Hope this has made some sort of sense.

Cheers,

Excalibur
12-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Hello all,

This Saturday I have a 30th birthday party. It's in a big venue, not a high ceiling, but nevertheless a bigger room than what I usually play in.
I will be running x2 SRM 450'S and x1 1501, normally I don't turn the 450's any higher than "12 o clock" however, i'm sure this weekend I'll have to go higher to fill the room.
My question is, How high can I turn them up? same with the 1501? i just don't want to fry the things!

Hope this has made some sort of sense.

Cheers,

As a passive amn I'm only going on secondhand info, but don't you only turn them up to 12 'o clock anyway? Isn't the rest for mics or something? :confused:

Reminisce disco
12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
If i go past 12 they get louder! just wanted some advice on the max I could go without damaging them. I know its hard without seeing the room for yourself .

A1DL
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
If there is an input attenuator pot on a powered cab, it should be set to 0db

Alchemy
12-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Now I don't pretend to be an expert on this but if it was me I would be happy to increase the output until the clip light flickered and then back off a tad. My 450v2's have a soft compression circuit which prevents damage from clipping but the manual clearly states that this is not recommended for extended periods.

A1DL
12-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Now I don't pretend to be an expert on this but if it was me I would be happy to increase the output until the clip light flickered and then back off a tad. My 450v2's have a soft compression circuit which prevents damage from clipping but the manual clearly states that this is not recommended for extended periods.

what's the point in setting the powered box attenuator above 0db?

you should establish a flat gain structure throughout the signal chain, giving the mixer any headroom.

Alchemy
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
what's the point in setting the powered box attenuator above 0db?

The Mackie user manual states that "For most applications, it (Signal Level) will be in the NORMAL position (12 o'clock)"

This is +4dBu :confused:

spin mobile disco
17-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Then you have probably been running them almost to maximum anyway then if you are using +4 Db on the back. Either that or you have a low input coming into them from your mixer.

Alchemy
17-08-2009, 10:24 PM
But the OP was asking if it was acceptable to go past the 12 o'clock setting (+4dB) and I still think that as long as the amp isn't clipping that this would be OK, No? :confused:

Are you about Reminisce? How did the gig go on Saturday?

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-08-2009, 10:26 PM
But the OP was asking if it was acceptable to go past the 12 o'clock setting (+4dB) and I still think that as long as the amp isn't clipping that this would be OK, No? :confused:

12 oclock is maximum gain - past there is line level and you'll fry them.

Alchemy
17-08-2009, 10:27 PM
12 oclock is maximum gain - past there is line level and you'll fry them.

Even if there's no clipping?

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Even if there's no clipping?

http://www.mackie.com/PDF/SRM450_OM.PDF

Read page 9.

Alchemy
17-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Read page 9.

Yeah, I have done, several times
I'm sort of having two separate conversations here.

A1DL stated "what's the point in setting the powered box attenuator above 0db?" This confused me as "page 9" states that 12 o'clock blah, blah, blah, is +4dB.

In my other conversation I still maintain that if the amp isn't clipping then things are looking good regardless of the position of the knob (sorry attenuator ) this may be needed if the signal source is low.

I may be being pedantic (or possibly wrong) but I rest my case melud :wave:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, whatever.

What I do know is I owned a pair of 450s for 18 months and was told by a Mackie engineer that you should not run them past the 12 oclock position, so I'm not really sure what case you are resting really...

Alchemy
17-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Where's Reminisce?

He started this :D

Tom
17-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Like others have said, set it to 12 oclock and job done.

The speakers at 0db input on the mixer and 0db on the output on the mixer will be rather loud. I dont get the chance to get up to levels like that but when I do, the speakers are LOUD. lol

Alchemy
17-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Tom,

Am I right in thinking that you've got Mackie 450 V2's and dBSub 15?

I've got a pair of Mackie V2's and I've ordered a Sub15 so any setup advice would be appreciated.

Cheers :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-08-2009, 11:23 PM
...don't go past 12 o'clock on the 450s....:bag:

Tony Scott
17-08-2009, 11:28 PM

...or get a proper system you can actually do some damage with!...:sofa: :D

Tom
18-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi Tom,

Am I right in thinking that you've got Mackie 450 V2's and dBSub 15?

I've got a pair of Mackie V2's and I've ordered a Sub15 so any setup advice would be appreciated.

Cheers :beer1:

This is correct.

Here are a few steps.

Step 1. Don't go past 12 o'clock on the gain
Step 2. Go from the mixer in to the sub and then branch out your xlr leads to go to each speaker.
Step 3. Setup up your mackies first, then add the bass from the DB Sub 15.
Step 4. Stand back. Have a listen to a few different tracks and see if you get a balanced sound. If not, go back and adjust the levels again. :)

This is what I plan to do also. ;) :D

WWDJ
18-08-2009, 04:29 PM
i run mine at about 11 o' clock and take my Denon X-500 up to about 3/10 (10 o' clock). I once had it up to 12 o' clock and it was deafening.

At this setting the mackies have proved reliable. I had one overheating issue where i was playing trance and Rnb all night without a sub and thrashing them a bit (though they werent clipping). Quart, pint pot, etc.

Alchemy
18-08-2009, 05:49 PM
This is correct.

Here are a few steps.

Step 1. Don't go past 12 o'clock on the gain
Step 2. Go from the mixer in to the sub and then branch out your xlr leads to go to each speaker.
Step 3. Setup up your mackies first, then add the bass from the DB Sub 15.
Step 4. Stand back. Have a listen to a few different tracks and see if you get a balanced sound. If not, go back and adjust the levels again. :)

Simples :) Thanks Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Scott
...or get a proper system you can actually do some damage with!...

This is what I plan to do also.

Don't encourage him ;)

Tom
18-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Simples :) Thanks Tom

Sorry id it looks like I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs. This is just how I explain things. lol. :o:)

Don't encourage him ;)

:lol:

I want some competition for my dual 8 mid tops which on sims, can pump out 131db. That's reflex, not horn loaded and the frequency response is hmm....rather flat. lol. ;):D

Alchemy
18-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry id it looks like I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs. This is just how I explain things. lol. :o:)

:lol:

Not at all, I like it when things are simple :D

Excalibur
18-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Well you're sort of right apparently Darren, but you used the wrong word. 12 o'clock is line level max volume, past that is for the lower output of a microphone. I'd guess it's a strange way of avoiding having a separate line in and mic input.

Or one where the microphone inputs are on the mixer, not the speaker. :D

Alchemy, in my very humble opinion, you're basically correct. However, I wouldn't go past 12 on the Mackies, I'd shove the mixer up to just below red instead.

Alchemy
19-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Alchemy, in my very humble opinion, you're basically correct. However, I wouldn't go past 12 on the Mackies, I'd shove the mixer up to just below red instead.

:banana:

In this thread I've fallen into the trap of theorising about something I've not done. I always park my knob at 11 o'clock and control the master volume from my mixer.

Theoretically though ................:zip: