PDA

View Full Version : Can i use an active speaker as a passive one?

yourdj
17-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi i have a couple of gemini gx 450's. One of them is faulty.

YouTube - A look at the Gemini GX-450 Powered Speaker

Can i use them as passive speakers by bypassing the amp as the drivers are fine?

I would like to use them as a daisy chain from my other speakers or straight out of the amp?

Pe7e
17-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Can i use them as passive speakers by bypassing the amp as the drivers are fine?

I can't see any reason why not, you will obviously need to remove/disconect the amps, and depending on the HF driver, fit crossovers. You could always sell the good amp on ebay, it would pay for the crossovers

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I can't see any reason why not, you will obviously need to remove/disconect the amps, and depending on the HF driver, fit crossovers.

Seems an awful lot of hassle considering they are budget speakers. Buy something better!

yourdj
17-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Seems an awful lot of hassle considering they are budget speakers. Buy something better!

The amps are fine it is something to do with earthing?

Just seems a waste as i have two speakers not being used. I want them for additional sound to compliment my sound system so if i can save some cash by using them then great! They are not that bad.

music-2-play
19-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I tend to agree with Solitaire, as it does seem like a lot of work, but the fact they are budget speakers may make them easier to them easier to modify. From the specs I read, I don't think they're biamped, so there's probably just a single passive crossover after the amp stage. Though it will probably prove a lot more difficult in practice, just disconnect and remove the faulty amp-stage and connect a speakson chassis mount to the body of the speaker cabinet (you'll need to drill a hole to accomodate the chassis), running to the passive crossover, which in turn, will run to the woofer and hf compression driver