PDA

View Full Version : Bass Bin Vibration

Disco Leisure UK
20-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi guys. Did a gig last night and for the first time in 6 months we used a set of bass bins (class D), everything sounded perfect until later in the night we noticed that one of the bins started to vibrate - a really bad rattling sound, we thought that maybe the driver had bust. Checked the driver this afternoon and all is perfect so rigged it up to some sound and the same vibration present, narrowed it down to the cabinets because when we applied pressure at the rear it was fine....so my question is: how can we rid this vibration once and for all? someone suggested padding inside but would that bring the bass response down?.....cheers.

Tom
20-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Suggests to me that there is not enough bracing inside the cab.

Padding will reduce reflections inside the cab and will improve the sound slightly but it won't help with the vibrating panel/s.

What does it look inside the cab. Is it just a hole in a box with a port and job done?

One idea would be to glue and screw a + to the rear panel. This is simple and will help reduce the panel from vibrating.

Disco Leisure UK
20-08-2009, 06:57 PM
What does it look inside the cab. Is it just a hole in a box with a port and job done?

Hi Tom,

Yes its just a hole with a port and thats it, I have considered screwing a piece in, looks like this will be my only option at the moment.

Tony Scott
20-08-2009, 07:18 PM
It's Class D........what do you expect? :sofa: :D

...sounds like poor construction, what tom suggested will work, put as much bracing in both cabs as you can, use 19mm plywood for the best results, MDF is ok but may split if you don't pilot drill it correctly. :)

Disco Leisure UK
20-08-2009, 07:56 PM

...sounds like poor construction, what tom suggested will work, put as much bracing in both cabs as you can, use 19mm plywood for the best results, MDF is ok but may split if you don't pilot drill it correctly. :)

Cheers Tony, maybe class d are not as strong as I thought :D fitting bracing is going to be my job for tomorrow before anything else.

Excalibur
20-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Very funny lads, I'm in danger of splitting my sides laughing. :p :p
It's not a problem I've experienced. I'd be surprised if it was a cabinet problem, but I'm only guessing. :confused:

rob1963
20-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Why not just leave it as it is & make some extra money at gigs by charging women a fiver a time to sit on it?

:ph34r:

Disco Leisure UK
21-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Why not just leave it as it is & make some extra money at gigs by charging women a fiver a time to sit on it?

:ph34r:

Yeah..good idea :D can't wait now for the other to go the same way I could double my money!