PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and DJ Software

Megamix
25-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I've got a mac and use Algorridim's 'DJay' which I find personally uncomplicated and very reliable.

I would now like to get a back up - can't justify another mac as i have spare PC laptops - trouble is DJay integrates well with iTunes and that’s how I keep all my music up to date.

Can anyone recommend DJ software for the mac which can use iTunes well - not just a one off import (which I believe Virtual DJ does - correct me if that’s wrong).

TIA

Larry B Entertainment
25-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Tractor DJ studio (now know as Tractor pro) will intergrate with your itunes library and can access it from the browser and will also play non DRM protected m4a files.

Megamix
25-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Apologies - I should have said Can anyone recommend DJ software for the PC which can use iTunes well

DJ James Lake
25-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Apologies - I should have said Can anyone recommend DJ software for the PC which can use iTunes well

Yes as already stated Traktor Pro or Traktor Scratch Pro, Mac or PC versions both do it.

DJMaxG
26-08-2009, 11:24 AM

If you set ITunes to use standard MP3s, it would be fine :eek:

On one hand, I have heard that Itunes are protected, and on the other - loads of DJs use them.

Javlingames
26-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Serato scratch live works a dream with I tunes

Larry B Entertainment
26-08-2009, 02:25 PM
If you set ITunes to use standard MP3s, it would be fine :eek:

On one hand, I have heard that Itunes are protected, and on the other - loads of DJs use them.

Some itunes downloads are still protected but most of the are DRM free these days, hence why I mentioned Tracktor will play non DRM protected M4a files.

Charlie Brown
26-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Numark cue works great most of the time....unless the odd song is locked.

DJMaxG
26-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Some itunes downloads are still protected but most of the are DRM free these days, hence why I mentioned Tracktor will play non DRM protected M4a files.

The Problem I face, is that I have downloaded about 5 or so tracks from Tesco Downloads, who I have used before a couple of years ago.

The problem is that they are protected and can not be imported into any video editing software, and I Think they won't burn to CD, nor will Virtual DJ read them, really can't remember, but I have had issues with them before.

I'm pretty sure Virtual DJ reads them - thinking about it now.

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Numark cue works great most of the time....unless the odd song is locked.

Not had any issues with Numark Cue yet myself

Starlight
27-08-2009, 02:52 AM
The Problem I face, is that I have downloaded about 5 or so tracks from Tesco Downloads, who I have used before a couple of years ago.

The problem is that they are protected and can not be imported into any video editing software, and I Think they won't burn to CD, nor will Virtual DJ read them, really can't remember, but I have had issues with them before.

I'm pretty sure Virtual DJ reads them - thinking about it now.
There really is a simple solution around this :p

All you have to do is either use Adobe Audition or try using freeware editing software called Audacity. Auditions will allow you to record whatever is going though your sound system but I'm not 100% sure if Audacity can because I've never used it. Anyhow, there is another way but you'd need to record sections of a song so you have a song split up into say 4 blocks and use Windows Media Recorder (WMR) I know the limit is :60 seconds to record in WMR but if you click the record button, then pause the song, pause the recorder and then this tends to give you more recording time when you click the record button in WMR for the 2nd consecutive time. So at the end you'll hopefully have say 4 blocks of a brocken up song. if you can take those 4 blocks and insert them into Auditions or Audacity, you'd be able to 'sandwich' those 4 blocks together to produce a seamless track.

Does this help?

Neil M.......

Edit: Added to reply.

Starlight
27-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Let us know how you get on.

Neil M.......

Edit: Spelling.

Larry B Entertainment
27-08-2009, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Starlight;369463]I'm not 100% sure if Audacity can QUOTE]

Yes it can, you just select the soundcard your using as the input for Audacity.

DJ Meadz
06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
personally i would recomend Traktor Pro iv had no problems with it .