PDA

View Full Version : Advice On New Lighting...

RealSounds
28-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi guys,
I need abit of advice about some new lighting for my setup, for my bog standard rig i use 2 x miracled, 2 x martin t-rex's, uv cannon and a 200mw green lazer,
basically, the next piece of lighting i was considering is either:
2 x led par 64's
or 2 x 250watt dynamo scanners

generally, i feel my lighting rig needs to light up venues much better than it currently does so which would be best for this...
any tips or advice is much appreciated...

WWDJ
28-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Well the LED Par 64's will give you a bright flood of colour so of the two I would go for those. The 250w dynamos will only produce a beamed gobo.

Are you / do you DMX ?
what sort of effect are you trying to achieve and what sort of functions so you do mainly ?

RealSounds
28-08-2009, 03:53 PM
yes and no!
they are linked up via dmx but only controlled through the ca-8,
as i'm actually a club DJ and travel up and down the country most weekends i only currently do mobile disco bookings possibly twice a month on average i dont really spend much time on getting things sorted properly in terms of dmx, long term i probably will
but basically i do alot of birthday, wedding and christening parties at venues up to 250ish capacity :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I'd go for a couple of Led pars with what you have. The T-Rex's give you movement already so I can't see the point in having scanners too.

spin mobile disco
28-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah the pars will give that nice ambience. Dynamos are like the other lights they more around and are really for faster dancing.

Excalibur
28-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Maybe more costly than you wished, but I'd go for LED panels over par cans.

spin mobile disco
28-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Maybe more costly than you wished, but I'd go for LED panels over par cans.

Any reason? I use 2 ledj panels for uv but havent used any colored ones yet. Do you consider them better light output? or just preference?

Excalibur
28-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Any reason? I use 2 ledj panels for uv but havent used any colored ones yet. Do you consider them better light output? or just preference?

Very simple. Mainly preference. I think par cans are the ugliest item ever hung on a lighting stand. Even worse than mirrorballs. Panels give movement and variation. Light output is lower per pound spent, but if DMX'ed you can run them on higher potputs, rather than having them cycling through lower ones. I have been really impressed with kit like the Kam Par Bar, which is a compromise I'd be happy with, but I believe there have been some reliability problems.

Chacun a son gout. ( Each to his/her own )

Sapphire Disco
28-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Saw these today think I will get a couple myself, maybe they would be ideal for your requirements as well ?

http://www.disco-world.co.uk/lighting/qtx-slimline-par-64-led/prod_1169.html