PDA

View Full Version : Good mixer to use

AnthonyG
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

I'm sniffing around now for a good all round mixer, for both Discos and Karaokes. I like the Behringer 1204fx, as it has a number of mic inputs, plenty of extra headroom for other line ins.

A couple of things though. Its seems to be overkill - 12 channels! I need 7 max (4x mix, (3x singers + 1x Me!) 3 line (2 x deck + 1 x Karaoke player). I am uncertain however if it supports a CUE function For me heeeeedfones, + i'm missing my beloved crossfader... arent i?

I like the price and the FX capabilities/ :confused:

Does any one know of like kit that could support my needs???

Thanks, Ant

Jays karaoke
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
dynacord all the way for me

deltic
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
i have a 1604fx used to use it as main mixer no problems with it did the job
however since changing my flight case arrangement i don't use it anymore as it is too big.

mark karaoke
02-09-2009, 06:19 PM
i have always been a user of powered mixers --- all eggs in one basket i know but i have always preferred the sound -- just my opinion,but i've yet to hear anything to beat my f.b.t and for bigger venues my kam of studiomaster always do the biz ---- sorry this probably confuses more rather than helps but its only my opinion:confused: :confused:

djdave01
03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
im using a Numark CM200USB. you can run upto 3 mics, upto 5 sound channels and it takes two USB inputs from a pc or laptop.

had mine about a year now, no problems at all with it.

mark karaoke
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
does the numark have effects ???

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
does the numark have effects ???

The 200FX does. I'm not sure about the 200USB though.

Sarahjovi
03-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I use an Alesis Multimix 8 (firewire version although USB would be fine).

It works great for Karaoke, but I think you would be short an input! The on board FX's are a must for a bit of reverb/echo on the singers mic's.

It's supposed to be 8 channel, but 2 channels are labels 5/6 and 7/8.

Sarah:D

DMX Will
03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
The 200USB doesn't have effects.

mark karaoke
03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
if no effects --- the mixer would not be suitable for karaoke !!!
just my opinion -but effects are essential to make the singers sound a bit better!!!

DMX Will
03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
just my opinion -but effects are essential to make the singers sound a bit better!!!

Which effects would those be then?

DazzyD
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I too use only powered mixers including the Dynacord 600s (although seem to be prone to clipping to easily) and 1000s, StudioMaster Vision 8, and my favourite is my modified Soundlab G742 (very cheap at £400 with a 1200w output but a few bits of electrical tweaking and additions and it's great!).

I've also got a Warrior one but I cannot remember the model at the moment. All good for karaoke as well as disco (especially in smaller venues). But make sure they're paired up with quality speakers.

djdave01
03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
The 200USB doesn't have effects.

it doesnt have any effects, but ive been using it for karaoke since it got it.

i worked in the same pub on sundays for three years doing karaoke, no one ever complained lol. The previous mixer to the Newmark was a Berhinger, it didnt have effects either.

personally, i hate echo when im singing (well attempting to sing). Everyone has there own opinion, some like it, some dont.

Digitalsounds
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
behringer ub1622fx all the way for us its been through all sorts and is easy to repair if the sliders go.

for the price the behringer mixers are very good.

Jays karaoke
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I too use only powered mixers including the Dynacord 600s (although seem to be prone to clipping to easily) and 1000s, StudioMaster Vision 8, and my favourite is my modified Soundlab G742 (very cheap at £400 with a 1200w output but a few bits of electrical tweaking and additions and it's great!).

I've also got a Warrior one but I cannot remember the model at the moment. All good for karaoke as well as disco (especially in smaller venues). But make sure they're paired up with quality speakers.

Your clipping a dynacord!!!!!! Ouch, don't forget this is only a 300w a side amp so i would have thought your not using much over 200w per side because if you are it will clip, as will someone screaming down your mic, or too much bottom.

I use the Powermate 1000 MK11 and it's as good as you get for what we do without going onto Midas or something.

Mackie do a fairly cheap unpowered desk too with effects i think it's a DFX12 and for a £200 - £300 its a nice little desk.

Studiomaster were fab in their day but are old now and there's better on the market.
If it's sound quality and digital effects and you are going to be using it alot then why not splash out if you can afford and get a Dynacord, i'd argue with anyone about the sound quality of these machines, i've used them for 10 years now and never once have i had a break down.

mark karaoke
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
effects for vocal would be echo and reverb--adds more body to a voice and stops it sounding thin---been doing karaoke regularly for a good few years and have yet to come across one person who prefers to sing with no effects!!

djdave01
03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
effects for vocal would be echo and reverb--adds more body to a voice and stops it sounding thin---been doing karaoke regularly for a good few years and have yet to come across one person who prefers to sing with no effects!!

Maybe Scottish voices just sound better lol

Excalibur
03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Which effects would those be then?
The mute Button? :confused: :D :D

behringer ub1622fx all the way for us its been through all sorts and is easy to repair if the sliders go.

for the price the behringer mixers are very good.

The big FOH ones, oh yuss.

Twinspin
03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Ive got a small Alesis Multimix 8 that i dont use. Its hardly been used and has up to 4 mic inputs and effects if its any use to you.

Disco Divas
23-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Your clipping a dynacord!!!!!! Ouch, don't forget this is only a 300w a side amp so i would have thought your not using much over 200w per side because if you are it will clip, as will someone screaming down your mic, or too much bottom.

I use the Powermate 1000 MK11 and it's as good as you get for what we do without going onto Midas or something.

Mackie do a fairly cheap unpowered desk too with effects i think it's a DFX12 and for a £200 - £300 its a nice little desk.

Studiomaster were fab in their day but are old now and there's better on the market.
If it's sound quality and digital effects and you are going to be using it alot then why not splash out if you can afford and get a Dynacord, i'd argue with anyone about the sound quality of these machines, i've used them for 10 years now and never once have i had a break down.
Hi there,

I have just got a Dynacord 1000 mk III. Can you recommend what speakers to match up with it? Prefer just tops if that's possible and passive or active?

Many thanks

Pauline

Excalibur
23-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi there,

I have just got a Dynacord 1000 mk III. Can you recommend what speakers to match up with it? Prefer just tops if that's possible and passive or active?

Many thanks

Pauline
It's a powered mixer, so I'd always run it with passive cabs connected. If you needed extra noise, you could always add active( powered) ones from the line /amp outputs. Never never never connect active cabs to the Speakon outs on the mixer.
I've just read the specs for it, and I'm not entirely sure of the power ratings, whether they're RMS or not. If they're anywhere near what they claim, you need some fairly serious speakers for it, something of the nature of the Pavey UL series, the Electrovoice ZX4, there are some Dynacord and HK cabs of a suitable rating also, but they're not cheap. I have no experience of the cabs I've mentioned, just that I believe they're the sort of power handling you need for the mixer.

I'm sure someone with experience of the beast will be along soon.

Disco Divas
23-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi there,

Thank you so much for that information. I know speakers have been done to death, I have read most of what I could find, but the more I read the more confused I got. There is so much expertise on here and it is so helpful.

I am not entirely up to speed with using the forum, don't want post anything in the wrong place etc....

Thanks again.

Pauline and Emma : )

Kernow
23-02-2012, 07:16 PM
, you need some fairly serious speakers for it, something of the nature of the Pavey UL series, .

As used by Crazy ? ;)

Excalibur
23-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I am not entirely up to speed with using the forum, don't want post anything in the wrong place etc....
Thanks again.

Pauline and Emma : )
That's never stopped some of our members. ;) Ask away Ladies, ask away. Never fear appearing foolish, that's way better than buying something totally unfit for purpose.

As used by Crazy ? ;)

OK Hawkeye, well spotted. Bear in mind it could have been a worse misprint. :eek:

DazzyD
23-02-2012, 08:46 PM
The good old Dynacord 1000! A powered mixer that can easily become the KJs best friend!! :) I've got this model, too (see post 12 - although I use the 600 more as the 1000 is a bit of a beast and quite heavy!) and I simply match it with a pair of EV Sx300's which do a really good job together.

Alternatively, I've used DAS MI-115s and also Mackie C300zs with the mixer all to good effect.

As always with sound, it's about personal taste and the speakers I mentioned don't come cheap as far as passives go so try and get a listen before parting with any hard-earned. Then make your own mind up!

paulg
23-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm sniffing around now for a good all round mixer, for both Discos and Karaokes. I like the Behringer 1204fx, as it has a number of mic inputs, plenty of extra headroom for other line ins.

A couple of things though. Its seems to be overkill - 12 channels! I need 7 max (4x mix, (3x singers + 1x Me!) 3 line (2 x deck + 1 x Karaoke player). I am uncertain however if it supports a CUE function For me heeeeedfones, + i'm missing my beloved crossfader... arent i?

I like the price and the FX capabilities/ :confused:

Does any one know of like kit that could support my needs???

Thanks, Ant

I have a boxed, pristine Yamaha mg 124cx that you might want to consider. Send me message if you want piccys etc.

Disco Divas
23-02-2012, 09:47 PM
That's never stopped some of our members. ;) Ask away Ladies, ask away. Never fear appearing foolish, that's way better than buying something totally unfit for purpose.

OK Hawkeye, well spotted. Bear in mind it could have been a worse misprint. :eek:
If only we had found this forum earlier, the dynacord was to replace an Allen Heath mixer we bought in error. Went for quality and power but didn't think about size, and for us women size does matter! Well at least it does when you are trying to lift the beast. So we don't want any more very expensive mistakes.

Cheers

Pauline and Emma :)

Dynamic Entertainment
24-02-2012, 12:07 AM
I have a boxed, pristine Yamaha mg 124cx that you might want to consider. Send me message if you want piccys etc.

As AnthonyG hasn't been online since the 4th of December 2010... I don't think he wants it lol.

Corabar Entertainment
24-02-2012, 12:32 AM
...and, in any event, selling outside of the 'For Sale' forum isn't allowed. :mad:

paulg
24-02-2012, 11:06 AM
As AnthonyG hasn't been online since the 4th of December 2010... I don't think he wants it lol.

D'oh didn't notice that.

Mixer only offered as a genuine attempt to help the guy out - it won't appear on here for sale