PDA

View Full Version : Martin audio EM15

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Iv seen a pair of em15 quite cheep (under 50 quid the pair second hand). and they look small but nice. there two 5" drives. there was no power rating on the back and Ive not had any chance of listening to them yet. but i was wondering if they would be any good with a sub for small venue.

I have a small gig coming up and theres not much room for set up. so something like this would be ideal...

are these any good???

thanks for all your help.

Tom
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.martin-audio.com/archivedproducts/datasheets/EM15datasheet.pdf

75 watts RMS per cab. 108db spl continuous. :eek:

Even if you did use these, you would need subs as they only down to 120hz.

5" drivers in my opinion, is too small. Anything 8" and over would be OK though, but again, you would need some kind of bass bin to produce the bass/sub bass notes.

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 09:28 PM
so even with subs there no good? i though with two 5" drivers it may be OK.

i will leave them then.. this is only a one off gig and dont want to spend for it really.

Tom
08-09-2009, 09:40 PM
so even with subs there no good? i though with two 5" drivers it may be OK.

i will leave them then.. this is only a one off gig and dont want to spend for it really.

I just don't think they will cut it in my opinion. They can only pump out 108db spl which is not a lot in my opinion.

You would need at least 4 of these per side to get any decent output from there.

It may be Martin Audio, which is why I think you have looked at them (could be wrong), but they just don't simply cut it output wise for a mobile disco.

A1DL
08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
5" drivers in my opinion, is too small. Anything 8" and over would be OK though, but again, you would need some kind of bass bin to produce the bass/sub bass notes.

having more inches isn't everything, Tom :cool:
have a listen to E3 when you get a chance.
single 6½" + 1" comp & plays up to 123db with just 120wrms

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I just don't think they will cut it in my opinion. They can only pump out 108db spl which is not a lot in my opinion.

You would need at least 4 of these per side to get any decent output from there.

It may be Martin Audio, which is why I think you have looked at them (could be wrong), but they just don't simply cut it output wise for a mobile disco.

Your probably right. they just look pro but a tad small. I'm not that botherd about small speakers anyways. well if the deltec 8" came for a ton i would have them lol,

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 09:49 PM

but is tom right about these?

A1DL
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM
CJ - the MAs you're looking at are designed for use as infills, not FOH.
Also, it's pointless comparing Deltec with MA, two completely different levels.

Tom
08-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Now I know that is a d&b Audio product before I even go on the website. lol

As you know, the amps have a big part to play in getting the spl they can out of the speakers. :)

A1DL
08-09-2009, 10:35 PM
As you know, the amps have a big part to play in getting the spl they can out of the speakers. :)

Indeed & so they should for the price of a D12.

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
CJ - the MAs you're looking at are designed for use as infills, not FOH.
Also, it's pointless comparing Deltec with MA, two completely different levels.

i wasn't comparing them but i was looking for a small pair of speakers so i can fly them when i have no room for my warrior audio prs15'a. but i said I'm not getting any unless i see a cheep pair.... i like the look of the deltec mind.

Tom
08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
i wasn't comparing them but i was looking for a small pair of speakers so i can fly them when i have no room for my warrior audio prs15'a. but i said I'm not getting any unless i see a cheep pair.... i like the look of the deltec mind.

:zip:

A1DL
08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Not being familiar with the offerings within Deltec's portfolio, curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at the 8" cab you refer to.

http://www.deltecspeakers.co.uk/deltec_cx1.html

I wonder why they omit to state how loud it will play, just making reference to it's "truly remarkable performance". :confused:

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 11:05 PM
:zip:

Whats wrong with flying speakers lol.

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Not being familiar with the offerings within Deltec's portfolio, curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at the 8" cab you refer to.

http://www.deltecspeakers.co.uk/deltec_cx1.html

I wonder why they omit to state how loud it will play, just making reference to it's "truly remarkable performance". :confused:

yes that them. they look good to me. but im not good at spl's and stuff.

A1DL
08-09-2009, 11:26 PM
yes that them. they look good to me. but im not good at spl's and stuff.

When buying speakers, it's whether they SOUND good that counts.

The manufacturer of this particular cabinet omits the two most important numbers from their online specifications, i.e. how loud they play, and their frequency response.

Cj_The_Dj
08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
When buying speakers, it's whether they SOUND good that counts.

The manufacturer of this particular cabinet omits the two most important numbers from their online specifications, i.e. how loud they play, and their frequency response.

have you ever herd the martin audio em15?

Tom
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Whats wrong with flying speakers lol.

I could be wrong but I don't think the flying fixings on the cab would be up to the job if being hung, then taken down, then hung and taken down on a regular basis. As these would be used for infills, they would be fixed in one place and not moved as much as what you would plan to do with them

It's also knowing what you are doing when flying speakers as I have found out.

If anything was to happen to either the fixings on the cab or cables/chain to hang the cabs up and they were to fail, having 5kg suddenly fall and possibly hit someone is not a good thing.

I was looking at doing this for my custom mid-tops but it's just not worth the bother plus I think you would need to get this approved by your insurance company (PLI).

Simple speaker on a stick is much safer in my opinion.

A1DL
09-09-2009, 12:54 AM
have you ever herd the martin audio em15?

Unsure re. that specific box, however I have heard many MA boxes (of varying sizes) over the years and have always been impressed.

If you can pick up secondhand Martin boxes in good condition, they will serve you well and hold their value.