PDA

View Full Version : Vdj 6.1 ....... Ulp!

Jonny Boy
10-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Finally got round to installing VDJ on my (vista) laptop, and played around for a few hours…. I still can’t find the one-click button that automatically beat-matches and mixes everything, chooses your set-list, sets up the booth and lights and talks to the audience for you. Frankly disappointed - have I been over-sold? I ought to read the manual I guess. :p

To be serious, I’ve clearly got A LOT to learn about this package. I never though it’d be out of the box and on to a gig, but DEAR GOD I feel inept and stupid: and that was just playing for myself!

Still awaiting stock on the Maya USB soundcard package I have my eye on, so I’m imagining things will become easier when I can config. the soundcard for PFL. Still getting used to synching beats, tricky without PFL, even with the beatlock/synch. I ought to read the manual I guess.

Also, not having a plethora of CD cases is (as I always suspected) a culture shock, and well outside my comfort zone. Play-lists may be the answer – once I learn how to create the darn things. I ought to read the manual I guess.

To be even more serious, I did read some of the manual and learned more from my 3 hours messing around. Cue (excuse the pun) many many more hours of the latter.

But for you old pros and boffins out there:

What are the 3 best pieces of advice/things you learned to help you use VDJ better?

(I know this has been covered various places, but trying to draw together into ‘quick-start’ idiot tips here. OR I ought to read the manual, I guess.) :bang:

Excalibur
10-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Darren has experience of this I think, and Justin (Jay Dee) uses this exclusively. If he doesn't appear on this thread soon, PM the blighter. ;) :D

I can click the play buttons, not bad for an oldie I reckon. :D

welby
10-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Answer 1:
PCDJ an oem version of VJ do a training video - well worth the £25. It still applies to VJ as it hasn't changed much between versions.

LINK (http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop-product-details.asp?ContentID=4)

Answer 2:
Actually read the manual - That's what it's for - YOU!

Answer 3:
use it with a controller - it makes it a better experience.

Hope this helps?

DJ James Lake
10-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Version 6.1 ??? Where. On there site the current version 6.02 which was upped a few days ago.

Jonny Boy
10-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Version 6.1 ??? Where. On there site the current version 6.02 which was upped a few days ago.

My bad... I MEANT 6.01.

<aside>Tisk...teckies!:whistle:

DJ James Lake
10-09-2009, 05:24 PM
My bad... I MEANT 6.01.

<aside>Tisk...teckies!:whistle:

If you go to the downloads area of the site you will see its 6.02 now

welby
10-09-2009, 05:31 PM
6.02 fixes a few bugs - especially the pitch bug - much better

Jonny Boy
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
6.02 fixes a few bugs - especially the pitch bug - much better

Thanks!

Hmm - have to get myself to the local Mucky D's for some free wireless time and update it...already. (Lappy doesn't connect to via ethernet at home, don't have wireless.)