PDA

View Full Version : End of night Wedding Arch

wensleydale
13-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Last nights bride and groom left with a big arch and made more of a "big deal" of it than any other B&G have before- what do you tend to do to stop it "killing" the dancing- eg do you keep the music going with something lively whilst the arch is forming and they are leaving?

I find that it's not too common these days but would be keen to have something up my sleeve for future arches.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I stop the music, get on the radio mic and get out there and start organising.

Otherwise, people won't get involved.

I normally use the very cheesy line, "Ladies on one side, gents on the other and those undecided in the middle"

Normally get s a giggle...

I then make sure people know what is going to be happening and get them shouting and screaming for the B&G.

As you say, it doesn't happen very often these days, but needs a bit of organisation and decent mic work to do.

wensleydale
13-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Daz-a cheesy line never hurt anyone.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of background music that can be played to keep things going- it just all got a bit flat and then took a few minutes for people to get back into the dancing.

Vectis
13-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Last time I had a wedding arch was at the Star Wars wedding recently... so getting them organised was easy - it was a case of 'light sabers at the ready' :p

As per Daz, especially if impromptu, you need to grab a mic and get them organised. I'll just drop any tune with a beat, at background levels, whilst sorting them out. For the actual march out itself, unless the B+G have requested a specific song I find Nelly Furtado's Maneater works really well, as not only is it a stompy-clappy type of intro, the lyrics always bring about a few smiles :cool:

rob1963
13-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I can't remember the last time I did an archway at a wedding.

It's another one of those things that was very common back in the day, but much less now.

When doing an archway I would keep the music going, but pull down the volume to nothing more than background music levels and give it plenty of chat like Darren says.

Stopping the music completely is a bit extreme in my opinion, and if you keep it going at the normal levels, it will take forever to get the archway formed...as they'll be more inclined to carry on dancing.

rob1963
13-09-2009, 03:16 PM
For the actual march out itself, unless the B+G have requested a specific song I find Nelly Furtado's Maneater works really well, as not only is it a stompy-clappy type of intro, the lyrics always bring about a few smiles :cool:

I've always used Cliff's "Congratulations" as I've not yet found anything more appropriate.

Excalibur
13-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks Daz-a cheesy line never hurt anyone.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of background music that can be played to keep things going- it just all got a bit flat and then took a few minutes for people to get back into the dancing.
Try Penny Arcade, :sofa:

I can't remember the last time I did an archway at a wedding.

It's another one of those things that was very common back in the day, but much less now.

When doing an archway I would keep the music going, but pull down the volume to nothing more than background music levels and give it plenty of chat like Darren says..
Pardon? :confused: :confused: :p Doesn't sound like you. :D :D :D :D

rob1963
13-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Pardon? :confused: :confused: :p Doesn't sound like you. :D :D :D :D

As already explained, this was what I did back in the day, not now (ubless specifically requested, of course).

wensleydale
13-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Last time I had a wedding arch was at the Star Wars wedding recently... so getting them organised was easy - it was a case of 'light sabers at the ready' :p

As per Daz, especially if impromptu, you need to grab a mic and get them organised. I'll just drop any tune with a beat, at background levels, whilst sorting them out. For the actual march out itself, unless the B+G have requested a specific song I find Nelly Furtado's Maneater works really well, as not only is it a stompy-clappy type of intro, the lyrics always bring about a few smiles :cool:

Maneater- Like it VV.

Must remember that one.

Rich

Tonsk
13-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I did one last night - Played the 6 min version of I've Had The Time Of My Life and around 3 mins remaining I looped the breakdown bit where in the film Patrick Swayze is moving up the room with all of em dancing behind him, got them to line up and then unlooped so it went into the saxophone uptempo bit.

Worked really well.

Tony Scott
13-09-2009, 04:43 PM
I've always used Cliff's "Congratulations" as I've not yet found anything more appropriate.

NO NO NO, it's got to be this everytime! 'The Dixie Cups'......:heart1: :heart1: :heart1: :heart1: :heart1: :D :D YouTube - The Dixie Cups------ Chapel of Love

wensleydale
13-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I did one last night - Played the 6 min version of I've Had The Time Of My Life and around 3 mins remaining I looped the breakdown bit where in the film Patrick Swayze is moving up the room with all of em dancing behind him, got them to line up and then unlooped so it went into the saxophone uptempo bit.

Worked really well.

Also a good suggestion, although I can see that going horribly wrong with the timings...."No, no, NO! You cant possibly leave yet- we haven't go to the breakdown. I dont care if you have a Rolls waiting you HAVE to wait for another 3 minutes and 23 seconds."

Excalibur
13-09-2009, 05:26 PM
NO NO NO, it's got to be this everytime! - The Dixie Cups------ Chapel of Love[/url]

Tony, I don't know if they do things differently down South, but up here they get married before the reception. ;)

Elton John- Are you ready for love?
Sailor-A glass of champagne
Faith Hill-This Kiss
Tom Jones -Kiss
Shalamar- A night to remember

More appropriate perhaps? :D :D

Tony Scott
13-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Tony, I don't know if they do things differently down South, but up here they get married before the reception. ;)

LOL.....27 years of playing it and now I see the error I've made! :p :D

Excalibur
13-09-2009, 06:27 PM
LOL.....27 years of playing it and now I see the error I've made! :p :D

Tony, you know me. If I can share my knowledge, I'm happy. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-09-2009, 07:37 PM
NO NO NO, it's got to be this everytime! 'The Dixie Cups'......:heart1: :heart1: :heart1: :heart1: :heart1: :D :D YouTube - The Dixie Cups------ Chapel of Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8BzBPsVkXk)

I also use that, as well as Congratulations, Bye bye baby :eek: and others which I can't remember at the mo....

13-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I've used Love and Marriage - Frank Sinatra and another couple of occaisions (at the requset of the B&G) Another One Bites the Dust.....

gaza
14-09-2009, 11:07 AM
At a Wedding that i did a few weeks ago there was not enough room on the dance floor for all of the guests to make an arch, so i asked some of the guests to finish the end of the arch by standing on each side of the two flights of stairs and i played, New York New York and Congratulations, it all worked very well :) as there was lots of tears ( happy ones )from the Bride and here Family.
If the Venue had not been so nice and the stairs were dark and dusty i would not have done this.

yourdj
14-09-2009, 11:15 AM
i always do a circle and a last dance near to the end when i see people leaving and have the bride and groom in the middle. All night long always works well.

Then they all stay there until the end generally.

http://your-dj-gallery.blogspot.com/2009/08/careys-manor-brockenhurst-new-forest.html

starsounduk
14-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi.

In my experience the wedding arch is the kind of final opportunity for the B & G to say their goodbyes to the guests. My format is to get all of the guests to form an arch, (most will take part for fear of being looked upon as sticks in the mud), I play 'Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye' and encourage the B & G to work their way slowly down the arch and out the door. The wedding arch is only generally used when the B & G are going to leave before everyone else, which rarely happens these days. But as far as the dancing is concerned, if it's timed right, people will drift afterwards anyway which leaves about 30minutes playing time.

Personally, I think it's fun and just tops the evening off nicely for the happy couple.