PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up for up lighting

dj wayne
13-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Hello all just a quick question I have if you dont mind when you wire up your up lighting on the dmx side say you have a square room dj setup in the middle of back wall up lighting dow either side of room in front of you can you send the dmx signal from controller to each side from your controller ie double up on the dmx output or does it have to run in a continous ring which would mean a lot more dm cable to run i hope you understand what i mean :cool:
regards

wayne.

Mark Wild
13-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Might be easier to understand with a little punctuation mate.

A1DL
13-09-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm a noise boy, not a lampie, but will have a go at answering with my limited knowledge...

within a single DMX universe, you do not wire a "ring", you wire peer to peer with a 110ohm resistor termination at the end (typically wired across pin 2&3 in an XLR and connected to the DMX out at the last head)

A DMX splitter can be deployed to run more than one line (typically in different directions, else why do it?) within a single universe

Tony

Pe7e
13-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm a noise boy, not a lampie, but will have a go at answering with my limited knowledge...

within a single DMX universe, you do not wire a "ring", you wire peer to peer with a 110ohm resistor termination at the end (typically wired across pin 2&3 in an XLR and connected to the DMX out at the last head)

A DMX splitter can be deployed to run more than one line (typically in different directions, else why do it?) within a single universe

Tony

:agree: it's not a ring main, if you split the signal (not ideal), use a terminator on both legs

A1DL
14-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Splitting the signal should be problem free if done properly, i.e. with isolated outputs. This little Avo jobby looks ideal for what the OP wants to do.

http://www.avolites.org.uk/products/dmx-splitters.htm

DJMaxG
14-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Sounds Good A1DL,
I Love how to give us the Science behind it all :approve: